Race Reports - Willowgate Event/ACH Series

posted 30 Jun 2017, 23:53 by Perth Sailing Club

               Conditions were dry with sunny intervals with a fresh breeze, SW force 4, both gusty and variable, mostly to NW.  John Ferguson and Peter Bevan tested the conditions, both helming Streakers, Peter sporting a small rig and wisely decided it was to brisk to race.  Throughout the afternoon large numbers of the general public (with special parking in Gloag’s field) thronged the new Activity Centre, so the two Streakers and Andrew Porteous’s Albacore with reduced sail crewed by Audrey Robertson and Vicky Wright demonstrated the presence of Perth Sailing Club.  There was heavy trip boat and rib traffic on the river taking the public afloat and using the new pontoons down at the Willowgate.  Thanks are due to the crews of both our safety boats who watched over the occasional capsizes.

               Seven boats turned out for mid-week sailing on Wednesday evening.  Conditions were cloudy, but dry with a steady easterly force 2-3.  Bob Watson was the wrong side of the line at the start and in correcting this incurred a penalty turn for obstructing John Ferguson, the result of which left him trailing the fleet for the first round.   John Ferguson was leading at the A mark followed by Hunter Williamson and Peter Bevan.  Bob managed to get ahead of Bill Inches’ Firefly the C.  By the 2nd round John had extended his lead while Peter was closing in on Hunter while Jack Douglas helming his Streaker was losing ground.  Hunter managed to pull away from Peter between B & C, with Bob passing Jack on the same leg.  Vicky in her Europe was dropping right back against the strong tide.  At the 3rd round Hunter in his excitement at being in the lead took a wrong turn at the mark and lost 75 yards resulting in Peter leading from B with Jack encountering problems at this mark.  Peter then extended his lead over John between C & D and Bob passed Jack between B & C.  Peter took the line first followed by John with Hunter in 3rd position.

               With the wind easing slightly seven boats took to the water for the 2nd race of the evening, Jack swopping his Streaker to helm Jim Galloway’s Solo, Woodpecker.  It was a clean start, Peter first to A, the rest of the fleet jockeying for position in mass.  Jack, sailing well in Jim’s Solo squeezed round B just in front of Bob and John, but Peter was back in the lead by C.  Hunter had an unfortunate capsize at C which lost him some time.  Peter and Bob were neck and neck at D and E.  Jack, Bob, Peter and John were all together at A of the 2nd round, still bunched together at B while the conditions were becoming gustier.  John led away from B and managed to extend his lead on his way to D.  John and Peter started the final lap within one second of each other, John extending his lead on the way to B at which time he extended it further.  He was followed by Peter and Bob, Jack dropping back a little.  First over the line was John followed by Peter with Bob in 3rd position.

               The ACH series continued on Thursday evening – conditions were dry, but overcast with a very fickle, light, variable easterly/southerly breeze.  A short triangular course was set and four boats took to the water. It was a clean start, Hunter leading to the first mark followed by Andrew then John while Audrey Robertson found her Streaker drifting backwards taken by the strong incoming tide and lack of wind.  Hunter and Andrew were neck and neck to the 2nd mark, Hunter pulling slightly ahead at which time Audrey caught a puff of wind that set her in the right direction and sailed really well, managing to shorten the distance between the leading boats quite quickly.  With the wind dropping once again, the decision to shorten the race to one round was made rather than taking the chance of an abandoned race.  John deviated from the rest of the fleet after rounding the final mark by crossing to the south side of the river in the hope there was more wind and worked his way to the finish up the far bank.  First to cross the line was Hunter followed by Andrew with John in 3rd position.

Results after Handicap:-

Wed. 28/6/17:

Race 1 – 1st Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 2nd Bare Away (J.Ferguson) 3rd Whoof (H.Williamson)

Race 2 – 1st Bare Away (J.Ferguson) 2nd Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 3rd Woodpecker (J.Douglas)

Thur. 29/6/17

Race 1 – 1st Whoof (H.Williamson) 2nd Whooper (A.Porteous) 3rd Bare Away (J.Ferguson)