Race Report – Dewars Series – 29th and 30th April, 1st, 6th and 7th of May

posted 13 May 2017, 12:31 by Perth Sailing Club   [ updated 13 May 2017, 12:35 ]

               Four boats entered for the first of the final four races of the Dewars Series.  After a clean start Andrew Porteous in his Solo led to the first mark followed by Peter Bevan’s Streaker, but was overtaken by Peter while Vicky Wright helming her Europe struggled against the strong flood tide taking over five minutes to round the mark.  Andrew caught up with Peter on the downwind leg with Jim Galloway in 3rd position.  During the second round Peter pulled ahead of Andrew once again while Jim managed to close the gap slightly.  However, Andrew sailed the final round so well he was only two seconds behind Peter at the finish and won on handicap with Jim in 3rd position.

               Six boats took to the water for the 2nd race of the day, John Ferguson joining the fleet helming his Streaker and Leonie Poor in her Mirror.  Andrew was over the line at the start, but quickly recovered while the rest of the fleet made a good start with John leading closely followed by Jim and Peter with only 5 seconds separating the first 3 boats.  Jim managed to establish the lead in round 2 with Peter slightly ahead of John and this was the positions almost throughout the whole race with the 3 boats battling it out while the slower boats of Vicky and Leonie were to the rear.  First to cross the line was Peter followed by Jim with John in 3rd position.           Only three boats entered the final race of the Dewars Series taking to the water in a very strong, easterly wind.  Jack Douglas helming his Streaker took an early lead followed by Peter’s Solo with Andrew to the rear.  Peter managed to get ahead of Jack during the 2nd round and maintained that position throughout, crossing the line ahead of Jack while Andrew had sensibly retired at the end of the 2nd round.

Results after Handicap:

Sat 29.4.17 – Race 1 – 1st Whooper (A.Porteous) 2nd Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 3rd Solo (J.Galloway)

                        Race 2 – 1st Solo (J.Galloway) 2nd Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 3rd Bare Away (J.Ferguson)

Sun 30.4.17 – Race 1 – 1st Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 2nd Flat Oot (J.Douglas) 3rd Whooper (A.Porteous)

Spring Series

               The holiday Monday saw 6 boats take to the water for the continuation of the Spring Series.  Weather was dry, but overcast with a moderate to light easterly wind which was very cold.  All boats had a clean start as they headed to the 1st mark of a rectangular course with a strong incoming tide,Peter’s Solo taking the lead followed closely by Sandy Rodger helming his Albacore with daughter Jennifer as crew.  Next came Hunter closely followed by Bill with Euan and Vicky to the rear. By the 2nd round Peter had increased his lead considerably over the rest of the fleet and the positions remained the same throughout the race, Peter crossing the finish line ahead of Hunter with Sandy and Jennifer in 3rd position.

               The same 6 boats entered the 2nd race of the evening and due to lessening light the race was shortened to two rounds.  The wind picked up and it was a very close race, Sandy and Jennifer leading after 1st round just ahead of Hunter followed by Peter then Bill with Euan very close to his stern.  First over the line was Sandy & Jennifer followed by Hunter with Peter in 3rd position.

Results after Handicap:

Mon. 1/5/17 – Race 1 – 1st Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 2nd Whoof (H. Williamson) 3rd Hellesport (B.Inches)

                           Race 2 – 1st Solo (H.Williamson) 2nd Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 3rd Dash (S.Rodger/J.Casebow)

Grouse Series     

               Nine boats entered the first race of the short Grouse Series with the sun shining and an easterly wind force 4 and gusting.  It was a clean start with Peter Bevan leading to the 1st mark of a figure of 8 course followed by Robin MacArthur’s Albacore crewed by Gilly Amatt then Euan’s RS Aero.  It was good to see new members Graeme Niven helming the Club Wanderer crewed by daughter Kirsty although they wisely retired after the first round as did Bill Inches in his Firefly and Neil Hughes helming a Mirror due to the gusty conditions. Peter pulled ahead of Robin and Gilly during the 2nd round followed closely by Euan then the Solo’s of Hunter Williamson and Jim Galloway with Vicky to the rear of the fleet.  First to cross the line after the 3rd final round was Peter followed by Hunter with Robin and Gilly in 3rd position.

               Seven boats took to the water for the 2nd race of the day, with Robin and Gilly leading at the end of the 1st round followed by Peter, then Hunter, with a bit of a gap between the next boats of Euan, Jim, Vicky with Kirsty crewed by father Graeme to the rear.  Peter and Hunter experienced very close sailing both crossing the line after the 2nd round at exactly the same time, neck and neck while Robin and Gilly retained their lead though losing it to Peter in the final lap who crossed ahead of them with Hunter in 3rd position.

               Ten boats entered the 3rd race of the short series on Sunday.  Conditions were sunny, hot and dry with a south easterly force 3, but dropping to 2 just after the start with all boats getting a clean start to a figure of 8 course.  The wind was very fickle, there being a sudden dead spot right at the 2nd mark of the course which caused resulted in boats struggling to sail their boats across the river against a strong incoming tide.  Hunter leading followed by Jack, then Andrew, Peter, Bill then Jack while a very fast inflatable and a set of jet skis deftly manoeuvred through the fleet, then came Vicky, Graeme and Kirsty in the Club Wanderer,  Robin’s Albacore crewed by Neil Hughes and finally Euan Macdonald helming his new acquisition for the first time of an RS Quest which was causing a few teething problems.  The Albacore was neck and neck with Bill’s Firefly at the end of the 2nd round then the wind picked up suddenly during the final round allowing the boats to round the 2nd mark without any difficulty.  First over the line was Peter followed by Jack with Jim in 3rd position.

               Bob and Eric joined the fleet for the final race of the Grouse series in a Club Quest.  The wind had increased a bit being brisk force 3 as Robin’s Albacore lead to the first mark followed by Peter, Jim, Bob and Eric, Jack Douglas, Andrew, Euan and John, Vicky, Hunter with the Wanderer helmed by Graeme and crewed by Kirsty to the rear.  Euan experimented with the spinnaker upwind using the north shore while the rest of the fleet took the south shore or middle of the river.  With the wind dying away Euan and John were neck and neck with Eric and Bob, Euan once again sporting a spinnaker, but Peter was well ahead of the fleet to take the line ahead of Andrew with Jim in 3rd position.  Of note – it must be a first when with 3 races to count out of 4 for the series, one of the Peter Bevan’s “discards” was a 1st place!

Results following Handicap:-

Sat. 6.5.17 – Race 1 – 1st Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 2nd Whoof (H.Williamson) 3rd Woodpecker (J.Galloway)

                       Race 2 – 1st Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 2nd Whoof (H.Williamson) 3rd Woodpecker (J.Galloway)

Sun: 7.5.17  Race 1 – 1st Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 2nd Woodpecker (J.Galloway) 3rd Flat Oot (J.Douglas)

                      Race 2 – 1st Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 2nd Whooper (A.Porteous) 3rd Woodpecker (J.Galloway)