Race Report – Continuation of Points Series

posted 6 Oct 2016, 00:01 by Perth Sailing Club

               Eleven boats took to the water for the continuation of the long summer Points series. In very light wind and sunshine the Albacore of Robin MacArthur crewed by Gillie Amatt led the fleet closely followed by the Lasers of Ian Noble and Bob Watson then Hunter Williamson’s Solo.  Next, neck and neck were the Firefly of Bill Inches and Solo of Andrew Porteous with Jim Galloway right on their stern followed by Alan Jones.  To the rear of the fleet were the Miracle helmed by Leonie Poor and crewed by Peter Bevan and Sandy Rodger with Vicky’s Europe struggling in the very light wind.   With lessening wind there were five retirals, two during the second round and three in the final third round.  First over the line was Bob followed by Ian with Hunter in 3rd position.  The 2nd race of the day was cancelled due to lack of wind.                  

               Seven boats took part in Sunday’s racing.  Conditions were sunny with a light and patchy easterly wind.  Race officer of the day John Ferguson created an unconventional downwind start of a triangular course with a choice of starboard or port turn round the 1st mark (A) in round one confusing some of the helms as Andrew Porteous took marks B & C first.  Euan Macdonald was also the wrong side at start but did head off correctly to A mark while Hunter Williamson took A mark to port and Bob Watson and Bill Inches took A to starboard.  The fleet were all quite close when they passed the clubhouse so taking the A mark either to port or starboard did not seem to make a great difference to any of the boats in their placing.  There seemed to be more wind during rounds one and two, but lighter in third.  Bob took an early lead, but Euan passed through to lead most of the race .  Andrew made a good recovery, but Gordon and Kirsty in the Club Enterprise didn’t manage to round the final mark.  First over the line was Euan followed by Hunter with Andrew in 3rd position.

               The second race of the day saw a decrease in wind strength being south easterly and very light.  The course was shortened to two marks with an upwind start and the tide on the turn.  Euan broke clear of the fleet  who were stealing each others’ wind. As two power boats motored past a little bit of wind seemed to fill in from the back and the two Solos of Hunter and Andrew closed in on Euan’s Aero.  The fleet bunched up again as they approached the B mark, only to start drifting back with the lack of wind and outgoing tide.  As the “shorten” signal was sounded Bob’s Laser passed the A mark for the second time and the race was abandoned after 24 minutes of struggling.

Results after Handicap:-

Sat. 1/10/16:

Race 1 – 1st Blue Meanie (B.Watson) 2nd Laser (I. Noble) 3rd Whoof (H.Williamson)

Sun. 2/10/16:

Race 1 - 1st Whoof (H.Williamson) 2nd Whooper (A.Porteous) 3rd Hellesport (B.Inches)