Race Report - Kinnaird Series and Spring Series - 5-6 & 14-15 April 2018

posted 22 Apr 2018, 03:47 by Perth Sailing Club
Three boats took to the water for the first race of the 2018 sailing season. Conditions were dry with high cloud interspersed by sunny intervals with a light westerly force 1-2 breeze.

John Ferguson in a borrowed Solo made a good start to the first mark of a figure of 8 course closely followed by Bill Inches in his Firefly. Meanwhile Audrey Robertson helming Andrew Porteous's Firefly was experiencing problems with the jib sheet during the start sequence and she had to hurriedly obtain a replacement ashore which held her well back and she eventually retired in round 2. Bill and John did well to complete two rounds as the wind died to almost nil and shifted round through south to south-east. Bill eventually took the first spot by quite a margin and there was no time or wind to justify a second race of the evening. While not participating in the race, Brian, new to the Club enjoyed a gentle outing in one of the Club's Lasers.

The Spring Series continued the following evening with 4 boats participating in another figure of 8 course. Weather conditions were overcast with an easterly force 2-3 wind. John got off to a flying start helming Eric's Phantom followed by the Solo's of Hunter and Andrew. Euan Macdonald joined the race late due to rigging problems. Hunter kept close to John during the 1st round with Andrew just holding off with Euan further behind. John opened up a greater lead as the wind recovered in round 2 crossing the line first ahead of Hunter with Euan in 3rd position.

The same four boats took to the water for the 2nd race of the evening just as the wind died down to a force 2 at the start. Andrew had a much better start close behind John. Hunter gained on the first two boats, however moved into 2nd place followed by Andrew. The course was shortened to 2 rounds due to fading light and John crossed the line ahead of Hunter with Andrew in 3rd position.

Saturday saw the start of the short Kinnaird Series with a good turnout so early in the season of eight boats. Weather conditions were more spring-like though cloudy with occasional sunny intervals and a very light force 1 westerly breeze. Peter Bevan helming his Miracle was a bit too keen being over the line at the start while Euan's RS Aero stormed into the lead to the 1st mark of a short triangular course followed by Jack Douglas in his Laser with Hunter right on his stern while the Albacore of Robin MacArthur crewed by Leonie Poor and the Miracle of Peter Bevan were neck and neck at the end of the first round with Bill trailing to the rear along with Audrey Robertson and Doug Ogilvie in Andrew's Firefly. Euan was still leading fleet during the 2nd round ahead of Hunter while Peter's Miracle and Jack's Laser were neck and neck at the end of the round. With the light breeze fading which resulted in a bit of drifting for the fleet Bill retired as did Audrey and Doug. First over the finish line was Hunter followed by Peter with Euan in 3rd position. Due to lack of wind there was no second race.

Eight boats took to the water for the penultimate race of the Kinnaird Series on Sunday enjoying some warm sunshine and a strong, steady easterly wind. It was an afternoon during which several members managed to capsize - Audrey capsizing prior to the start and wisely deciding to retire while Hunter earned himself the Rubber Duck trophy capsizing after the 2nd buoy of a figure of eight course followed by Jim Galloway twice. Two safety boats were well employed for the duration of the race. Euan in his Aero took the lead ahead of John's Streaker with Peter Bevan close behind while Graham Keir helming his Solo was right on the tail of Peter's Streaker at the end of the 3rd round and again at the end of the 4th and final round there was only one second between the two boats. First over the line was Euan followed by Graham with Peter in 3rd position.

Only five boats entered the final race of the day with the easterly becoming stronger, though steady with visible white horses. Peter capsised 3 minutes before the start, but recovered well. Once again Euan took the lead followed by John then Peter, then Andrew with Hunter bringing up the rear. Unfortunately, Andrew lost a place when he capsized during round 2. Euan and John were neck and neck gaining the advantage on the downward turn into the reach by the Friarton Bridge but it was John who took the line first followed by Peter with Euan in 3rd position.

Results after Handicap:

Thur. 5/4/18
Race 1 – 1st Hellespont (B.Inches) 2nd Whooper (J.Ferguson) 3rd Dancer (A.Robertson)

Fri. 6/4/18
Race 1 – 1st Whoof (H.Williamson) 2nd Cormorant (J.Ferguson) 3rd Whooper (A.Porteous)
Race 2 – 1st Cormorant (J.Ferguson) 2nd Whoof (H.Williamson) 3rd Whooper (A.Porteous)

Sat. 14/4/18
Race 1 – 1st Whoof (H.Williamson) 2nd Ptarmigan (P.Bevan) 2nd Whooper (A.Porteous)

Sun. 15/4/18
Race 1 – 1st Solo (G.Keir) 2nd Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 3rd Bare Away (J.Ferguson)
Race 2 – 1st Bare Away (J.Ferguson) 2nd Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan) 3rd Whoof (H.Williamson

Overall Winner of the Kinnaird Series: Marsh Daisy (P.Bevan)