Race Report - Kinnaird Series

posted 11 Apr 2017, 00:19 by Perth Sailing Club

               Seven boats took part in the first race of the short Kinnaird Series in glorious summer sunshine with a good breeze.  It was a clean start, Hunter Williamson followed by Sandy Rodger helming John Ferguson’s Streaker then the Solo of Andrew Porteous.  Hunter was the first to reach the 1st mark followed by Jim Galloway, then Bill Inches in his Firefly who had both got ahead of Sandy and Andrew with Audrey Robertson helming her Solo to the rear.  By the 1st mark of the 2nd lap Hunter just managed to round ahead of Sandy with Euan closing in with much change of position of all three boats during the downwind run.  With Euan closing the gap at the start of the final 3rd lap Andrew overtook Hunter on the way to the 1st mark, but Euan managed to overtake and extend his lead on the downwind run to be first to cross the line followed by Andrew with Sandy in 3rd position.

               The same 7 boats entered the 2nd race of the day with a clean start, Sandy leading to 1st mark of a triangular course followed by Andrew and Euan with Hunter to the rear after experiencing equipment issues prior to the start.  Sandy headed for the north shore of the river while Jim and Euan took the south which paid off for Euan and he managed to extend his lead.  With the tide turning the wind also died a bit allowing Jim to get back in front of Sandy while Hunter managed to capsize just short of the line.  Euan again took the line first followed by Jim with Sandy in 3rd position. 

               The Kinnaird Series continued on Sunday as 7 boats took to the water with a stiff, gusting westerly breeze from a threatening sky ensuring vigorous exercise.  It also gave useful practice in reaching and gybing in such conditions.  The first race saw the Streakers of John and Jack Douglas just ahead of the RS Aero of Euan and the Solo of Jim at the windward mark with Vicky helming her Europe to the rear.  Sandy helming his Albacore and crewed by Neil Hughes capsized at the 2nd mark, the mast snagging the bottom which led to a prolonged recovery, the loss of Sandy’s shoes, a rather cold Neil and their wise retiral.  After three rounds of the course where Jim who had been going well, experienced an unscheduled bank visit and John recovered well following a capsize at the 2nd gybe mark it was Jack who was first over the line followed by Euan with John in 3rd position.

               A shortened course was set for the 2nd and final race of the series with fewer gybes.  The same boats ventured out on the water minus the Rodger Albacore.  After a short delay allowing for a capsized boat to clear the start area, the Streakers again took the lead with Jim, Euan and Vicky in pursuit.  Three rounds were completed with Euan wisely retiring after washing ashore at the leeward mark in round two followed soon after by Vicky.  This left  Jack crossing the line first having survived the weather quite unscathed followed by John who, though close behind  had been hampered in the last round by a clew outhaul failure with Jim soldiering on into 3rd position.  Thanks are due to all who manned the safety boats, namely Hunter, Eric, Bill and a visiting Mike Young.

Overall Winner Kinnaird Series:  Woodpecker (J.Galloway) on 8 points

Runner Up:  RS Aero (E.Macdonald) on 11 points 3rd Bare Away (S.Rodger) on 12 points 4th Helliport (B.Inches) on 17 points