Race Report - Grouse Series

posted 14 May 2019, 13:17 by Perth Sailing Club   [ updated 14 May 2019, 13:22 ]
               Perth Sailing Club held a series of four races where competitors have a chance of winning the Famous Grouse Trophy.  Race one saw Euan Macdonald making a good start in the light conditions and he was first to the windward mark in his Aero7 followed by James Curley in his Solo, then Ian Noble in a Laser and Andrew Porteous in his Solo (Whooper) with the RS Quest helmed and crewed by Jason McCauley and Gillie Amatt. Positions changed downwind with Andrew (Whooper) favouring the north bank who was now leading the fleet but he lost the wind allowing James (Solo) to get ahead. At the back of the fleet Audrey Robertson sailing her Streaker (Whiz) was caught by a gust but managed to recover. The race was shortened to three laps and Andrew Porteous was first over the line followed by James (Solo) with Euan (RS Aero7) in third position.

                Euan made another good start in the second race of the day and was first to the windward mark. The rest of the fleet struggled against the dying wind and Euan was comfortably over the line in first place with Andrew (Whooper) in second. Race Officers Hunter Williamson and Anne Hughes wisely decided to shorten the race to two rounds only and use the average lap system to calculate the results. Rescue cover was provided by Yevegeny Kossko and his son Ivan.

                On the second day of the Grouse series John Ferguson led from the start in the club Laser from the three Solos of Jim Galloway, James Curley and Andrew Porteous  and the three  battled it out right to the end of the race.  Unfortunately, Ian Noble sailing the other Club Laser capsized and after a couple of attempts to right the boats was brought in by the Rescue boat crewed by Audrey Robertson and Robin MacArthur.

                Andrew Porteous led for a while on the final race of the series with John & Hunter close behind. Jim Galloway and James Curley both in their Solos were to the rear. The wind dropped in the second lap but Andrew increased his lead and the whole fleet was spread out. In the third and final lap John Ferguson (Laser) managed to overtake Andrew (Whooper) and Hunter (Whoof) while the two Solos of James and Jim Galloway were struggling to round the first mark.  The outgoing tide was helping Andrew and Hunter to catch John in the Laser but they didn’t make it. It was John Ferguson over the line first followed by Andrew Porteous in his Solo with Jim Galloway in his Solo (Woodpecker) in third position.  Andrew however required a tow as the outgoing tide was taking him further towards Dundee.

                On Friday the Spring Series of races continued. Only three boats took part in the decreasing wind. The course was shortened to two laps. James Curley (Bear) was first over the line at lap one closely followed by Andrew Porteous (Whooper) and Euan MacDonald (RS Aero7).  Euan managed to overtake James to finish over the line in first place with Andrew coming third. As the wind had died completely away Andrew had to paddle home.  Race Officers Jim Galloway and Gillie Amatt cancelled the second race of the evening. Rescue Cover was provided by John Ferguson and Peter Bevan.

Results after Handicap:-

Winner of Famous Grouse Trophy 2019 Andrew Porteous

Sat. 4/5/19 :-

Race 1 – 1st Whooper (A.Porteous) 2nd Bear (J.Curley) 3rd RS Aero7 (E. MacDonald)

Race 2 – 1st RS Aero7 (E.MacDonald) 2nd Whooper (A.Porteous) 3rd Bear (J Curley)


Race 3 – 1st   Laser (J. Ferguson) 2nd Whoof (H.Williamson)  3rd Woodpecker (J. Galloway)

Race 4 – 1st Whoof (H.Williamson) 2nd Whooper (A.Porteous) 3rd Laser (J.Ferguson)


Race 1- 1st Bear (J.Curley) 2nd RSAero7 (E.MacDonald) 3rd Whooper (A.Porteous)