ACH & PC Solutions Series

posted 29 Jul 2018, 02:06 by Perth Sailing Club

               Wednesday the 18th saw the recommencement of the ACH midweek racing down at Lairwell.  Six boats took to the water in fine, sunny weather with a light SW wind.  The wind allowed for a good first race of three laps round a 4 mark course.  The finishing order saw Jack Douglas showing the way using Eric Taylor’s Phantom, closely followed by Hunter Williamson’s Solo and recent trainee James Curley’s Laser.  John Ferguson, almost recovered now from injury and the Gauld family in two Club boats completed the turnout, Joe in a Club Feva excelling over father and sister in a Quest.  First over the line was Jack followed by Hunter with James in 3rd position.

               The same six boats took to the water for the 2nd race of the evening over a slightly shortened course with Molly helming the Quest crewed by Munro.  There was a reasonable wind for the first two rounds, but it all but vanished during the 3rd, it being now later evening and consequently the three slower boats were unable to finish and were offered tows.  First over the line was Jack followed by Hunter with James in 3rd position.

               Six boats turned out for Thursday’s racing in sunny conditions with a SW force 2 breeze and all made a clean start sailing 3 laps of a figure of eight course.  James and John were first to the windward mark, sailing down the south bank followed by Andrew.  Hunter led by the 3rd mark, then James, John and Andrew with Vicki and Ivan some way back.  Hunter led on the 2nd beat and while on the run John gained by sailing further into the river where the wind was stronger.  Hunter was still in front followed by Andrew with James and John close behind.  Hunter, keeping to the south bank was still leading in the final round while John again sailed out into mid-river.  Hunter was first to cross the line followed by John with Andrew in 3rd position.

               Five boats took part in the 2nd race of the evening with the light wind holding, but now a bit overcast.  John Ferguson took an early lead – on the downward leg he again chose a mid-river course as the tide had lessened and he was followed by James.  During the 2nd round John stretched his lead over James with Hunter and Andrew battling for 3rd place and Ivan bringing up the rear.  The order remained unchanged until John touched Mark C whilst jibing.  James was first over the line followed by Hunter with John in 3rd position.

               The first of the short series of races sponsored by PC Solutions of Perth was sailed on Saturday morning.  Four boats took to the water in cloudy but warm and dry conditions with a light westerly force 1-2 which increased to 2-3 during race.  It was a clean start Hunter leading followed by Robin MacArthur crewed by Vicky Wright, then Jacob McCauley helming a Laser.  Unfortunately Hunter having been first to mark then went the wrong way allowing Robin and Andrew get ahead.  Approaching the 2nd mark Hunter and Andrew caught up with Robin while Jacob was trailing and then Andrew headed for the 4th mark missing the 3rd allowing Hunter to lead followed by Robin.  Hunter managed to extend his lead during the 2nd round followed by Andrew and Robin close together while Jacob stayed in the middle and made up distance catching Andrew at the 2nd mark.  By the 3rd and final round Hunter had extended his lead as the wind freshened with Robin and Vicky pulled away from Andrew and Jacob.  First over the line was Hunter followed by James with Andrew in 3rd position.

               The same four boats entered the 2nd race of the day with a clean start.  Positions were swapping on way to first mark as wind was variable and gusting.  First to mark was Hunter followed by Andrew while Robin and Vicky stalled at the mark allowing Jacob to catch up.  With all boats favouring the north shore Hunter extended his lead at 2nd mark followed by Andrew with Jacob and Robin neck and neck, spreading out as they left the fourth mark.  By the 2nd lap Hunter had extended his lead, followed by Andrew then Robin, Jacob falling behind.  Andrew tried his luck mid-river on way to the 2nd mark and closed in on Robin.  All positions remained the same during the 3rd round.  As the wind conditions remained good the Officer of the Day allowed a fourth lap to be sailed and first over the line was Hunter followed by Andrew with Robin and Vicky in 3rd position.

Results after Handicap:-

Wed 18/7/18 : Race 1-1st Whoof (H.Williamson) 2nd Phantom (J.Douglas) 3rd Laser (J.Curley)

                            Race 2-1st Phantom (J.Douglas) 2nd Whoof (H.Williamson) 3rd Laser (J.Curley)

Thu 19/7/18:    Race 1-1st Whoof (H.Williamson) 2nd Bare Away (J.Ferguson) 3rd Whooper (A.Porteous)

                            Race 2-1st Whoof (H.Williamson 2nd Whooper (A.Porteous) 3rd Bare Away (J.Ferguson)

Sat 21/7/18:    Race 1-1st Whoof (H.Williamson) 2nd Whooper (A.Porteous) 3rd Laser (J.McCauley)

                            Race 2-1st Whoof (H.Williamson) 2nd Whooper (A.Porteous) 3rd Laser (J.McCauley)