GLOSSOP

THE GLOSSOPS

HENRY GLOSSOP

I shall not dwell on ancient Glossops as this piece is about the Isleworth Glossops and their descendants.  Suffice it to say, that the family came from near Bakewell in Derbyshire and that Francis, born in Upper Haddon, moved to London, where he was a wax and tallow chandler in Old Compton Street, Soho.  His wife was Ann Gapper, who came from a family in Henstridge, Somerset.  Ann died in 1832, aged 76, and Francis died at the house of his son Henry in Isleworth on 17 January 1835, aged 94.  Both were buried at St Nicholas’s Church, Henstridge.

 
 
Grave of Francis and Ann Glossop at Henstridge.  Image courtesy of http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&GRid=101512225&MRid=46812479
 
I have not researched how many children Francis and Ann had in total, as I am mainly concerned with Henry, but Charles Glossop (born 1783 Soho) was the Rector of Woolverton in Somerset for 62 years; he died in 1874, aged 91.  Francis Glossop (1788-1861) was Rector of West Dean in Wiltshire, a place which will crop up again later on.  Mary (c.1792-1869) married George Bythesea, Rector of Freshford, Somerset and one of their sons was Rear Admiral John Bythesea VC (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bythesea).

Henry Glossop was born in Soho in 1780 and educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge; he was ordained in 1804 and was vicar of All Saints Church, Isleworth from 1822 to 1855.  In 1814 he had married Charlotte Newland (born c.1793 Chichester) and their children were Francis Henry Newland (born 1815 Southampton, christened at West Dean), John James (1816 West Dean), Maria Caroline (1818 West Dean or c. 1821 Isleworth), Frances Emma (1823 Isleworth) and George Goodwin Pownall (1827 Isleworth).

From 1850 onwards the family lived at ‘Silver Hall’ in North Street, which was something of a minor stately pile in its day. It was subsequently a convent and then a school, before being demolished in the mid-20th century.

Henry died on 21 August 1869, quickly followed by Charlotte on 19 June 1870.  The family erected a drinking fountain and lamp-post in Upper Square, South Street, Isleworth in Henry’s memory.
 
The fountain and lamp-post in South Street.  Image copyright Maxwell Hamilton 2010, via Flickr.
 
FRANCIS HENRY NEWLAND GLOSSOP
 
Francis Henry Newland Glossop.  Image copyright Mrs C B Griffin 2012.
 
 
Ann Fish Pownall.  Image copyright Mrs C B Griffin 2012.

Francis was a barrister but did not practise.  He was also a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant for Middlesex.  In 1850 he married Ann Fish Pownall (born 1824 Epsom, Surrey), daughter of magistrate, landed proprietor and philanthropist Henry Pownall (see http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/HenryPownall.html).  They lived at Amyand House, Twickenham until 1871, when they moved into the newly-built Newland House, Oak Lane, Twickenham.  However, they subsequently moved back to Silver Hall, having vacated Newland House to accommodate the widow and children of Francis’s brother George.  Francis died at Silver Hall on 25 January 1886 and Ann on 13 December 1887.  Their children were as follows.

Charlotte Amelia Glossop (c.1851-1914, unmarried)

Anna Maria Glossop (1852-1944)

In 1876 Anna Maria married the Reverend Edward Wells (1853-1930), who became Rector of the aforementioned West Dean.  There is a story on the internet by a Wells descendant that Anna Maria spent much of the family money extricating Jewish people from Hitler’s Europe.  Edward and Anna Maria had six children, who were:-

Annie Isabel Wells (1877-1917, unmarried)

The Reverend Canon Edward Glossop Wells MC (1878-1952).  Edward was awarded the Military Cross and two bars for bravery under fire whilst an army chaplain in the First World War.  He was at one time the vicar of Overton, Hampshire.  He married Lucy Dorothy Stevens (1883-1984) in 1914.  There were four children and one of their two sons, the Reverend Stephen Glossop Wells (1922-2005) was the vicar of St Peter’s, Berkhamsted.

Wilfred Wood Wells (1881-1973) was a medical practitioner; he married Emily Mary S Flack  (c.1885-1968)

The Reverend Leonard St Alban Wells (1883-1935) was vicar of Mangotsfield, Bristol.

Ursula Hilda Mary Wells (1890-1943, unmarried) 

2nd Lieutenant Hermann Theodore Wells, RASC (c.1895-2 April 1916) died of pneumonia whilst serving in France.

Henrietta Frances Glossop (1856-1938) married civil servant Charles Russell Shore (c.1850-1933).  They had five children.

Florence Emily Glossop (1857-1943) was a deaconess and at one time was Head Deaconess of Lucknow.

Canon George Henry Pownall Glossop (1858-1925).  Apart from a short curacy in Devon, George spent his whole working life in St Albans and was revered in the town for his charity, compassion and public work.  He married Frances Mary Gape (c.1864-1944) in 1886 and they had six children, as shown below.

Commander Francis George Glossop RN, OBE, DL (1887-1965) was mentioned in despatches for his service during the Battle of Jutland and held the Order of St Stanislaus of the Russian Empire; he later became Chairman of the Devon and Cornwall Hospital Services Committee.  His home was in South Molton, Devon.  He married Elinor Mackay Cadell (1896-1975).

Silvia Mary Glossop (c.1889-1963, unmarried)

Gwendoline Francis Glossop (1890-1972) married Dr Kenneth Leslie Bates (1889-1933).

Betty Mitford Glossop (c.1892-1983) married Gordon Bennett.

Bertram Glossop (born 1894) became a lieutenant in the Devonshire Regiment and was killed in action on the Somme on 4 September 1916.

Ernest Edward Glossop (born 1896) was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Somerset light Infantry and was killed in action at the 2nd Battle of Ypres on 4 May 1915.  He had already been shot in the spine and invalided home, but was eventually able to return to the Front, only to be hit in the head by a shell fragment.
 
Ernest Edward Glossop

The Reverend John Francis Gilderoy Glossop (1862-1948) was a vicar in various places, particularly in the South London area and latterly in Shoreham, Sussex.  He married Marion Cave (c.1862-1934), sister of Lord Cave – see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cave,_1st_Viscount_Cave - in 1892.  Their elder son, Gilderoy Cave Glossop (1897-1936) was decorated during the First World War for conspicuous gallantry.  He later became a clergyman and died at Karo River, Ranchi, India, where he was a member of the Executive of the National Christian Council, which was and is a human rights organisation operating in India.  Gilderoy and his wife Thelma (nee Hony) were working in India as missionaries at the time and he was crossing the river in a ferry boat during the monsoon.  The boat capsized and Gilderoy tried to save two Indian women and a child, but all were drowned.  This was the second tragedy in the family:   the younger son, Lieutenant Walter George Cave Glossop (born 1899), had also survived the First World War, but was kidnapped, shot and killed by the IRA in Tipperary on 19 June 1921, together with two fellow officers.  They had been in civilian clothes but were armed.

Walter Herbert Newland Glossop (1864-1918).  Walter emigrated to the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Canada in 1905 and became a director of the Kettle Valley Irrigated Fruit Lands Company.   In 1913 he married Margaret Harriet Stirling and they had a son, Francis Walter Andrew Glossop.  In 1916 he enlisted as a Major in the Canadian Expeditionary Force (he had been in the Imperial Yeomanry in England) and was killed in France on 1 April 1918, aged 53.  Francis Walter Andrew, a Captain in the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada, died during the Battle of the Rhineland in Holland on 30 March 1945, aged 28, and is buried in Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery.

Charles William Waterhouse Glossop (1867-68)

Bertram Robert Mitford Glossop (1870-1941) was an officer in the Dragoon Guards and wrote a book called ‘Sporting Trips of a Subaltern’ (see  http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/bertram-robert-mitford-glossop/sporting-trips-of-a-subaltern-hci/1-sporting-trips-of-a-subaltern-hci.shtml); he married Helen Leyland Nichols (c.1883-1950) in 1909.

 

JOHN JAMES GLOSSOP

John was a regular soldier, ending up as Honorary Colonel of the 3rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers, and a magistrate.  At one time he lived in Priston, Somerset but eventually moved to Devon, latterly Torquay, where he died in 1886.  His wife was Harriet Eliza Martin (c.1822-92).  Their four children were as follows.

Blanche Glossop (1854-1944).  Pownalls have already popped up in this piece and here is another.  Blanche married barrister and solicitor Henry Harrison Pownall (1853-1913) in 1887: he was the grandson of Henry Pownall and nephew of Ann Fish Pownall/Glossop.  At the time of Henry Harrison’s death they lived at a house called ‘Ades’ in Chailey, Sussex (still standing and Grade II listed) and Blanche subsequently moved to Petersfield, Hampshire.  The couple’s children are shown below.

Kathleen Etheldred Pownall (c.1889-1978, unmarried)

John Cecil Glossop Pownall (1891-1967) was a barrister and Chief Charity Commissioner.  He married Margaret Nina Jesson (1901-92) in 1925.

Percy Martin Pownall (1892-1906)

Lionel Henry Yorke Pownall (born 1895) was a Lieutenant in the Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment and was killed in action in Belgium on 21 March 1915.

Henry Cecil Glossop (1853-66)

Ethel Glossop (c.1857-1945) married Adam Bogle (c.1844-1915), a Glaswegian who was an officer in the Royal Engineers, rising to the rank of Major.  Latterly they lived in Steep, Hampshire.  They do not seem to have had any children.  Adam had the unusual distinction of playing for the Royal Engineers in the very first FA Cup Final, held at the Kennington Oval in 1872; unfortunately his team lost.  He is listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website as a war casualty, although he was buried in Steep.

Georgina Emma Glossop (1859-1946) was more usually known as Georgemma or sometimes Gemma.  She first married in 1882 Lieutenant-Colonel Edward Hemery le Breton of the 18th Irish Regiment (1846-94), by whom she had four children.  After Edward’s death she married retired coffee planter Thomas Wentworth Falconer (c.1858-1906).  Georgemma’s children were:-

Colonel Sir Edward Philip le Breton (1883-1961) was a regular soldier, Deputy Lieutenant for Dorset, Chairman of the Dorset Education Committee and was knighted in 1941 for public service to the county.  His wife was Mary Gwendoline Sawbridge (1882-1966), daughter of Edward Henry Bridgman Sawbridge who married Bertha Glossop (we will get to Bertha in due course!)

John Glossop Bythesea le Breton (1884-1968) was a soldier and author; he married Evelina Byrne (1917-85) and they had one daughter.

Edith Ethel le Breton (1887-1973) married Colonel Sir Francis Napier Elphinstone Dalrymple (1882-1956, hereditary baronet).  They had two daughters but there was no male heir and the baronetcy became extinct.

Francis Hemery le Breton (1889-1973) spent much of his life in Kenya after service in the First World War.  His wife was Elizabeth Christel Rochfort Trevor Battye (1904-94) and their son was a diplomat in the Foreign Service.

 

MARIA CAROLINE GLOSSOP

Maria Caroline (died 1908) married woollen merchant John Elam (c.1815-96) in 1841; he had premises in Sackville Street, London, but they mainly lived in Teddington.  Three of their four daughters remained unmarried and lived together in Teddington – they were Edith (c.1850-1939), Rose (c.1854-1912) and Evelyn Mary (1859-1940).  The eldest daughter, Katherine (born 1844) appears to have married in 1865, but I have not been able to track down her married name.
 
FRANCES EMMA GLOSSOP never married and lived in Tunbridge Wells.  She died in Switzerland in 1899.
 

THE REVEREND GEORGE GOODWIN POWNALL GLOSSOP had been a curate at Windsor, Rector of the now very familiar West Dean and was Rural Dean of Hampton.  He became the Vicar of Twickenham in 1865 but died quite suddenly in 1874 from apparent congestion of the liver, leaving a young family.  He was married twice.  His first wife, whom he married in 1854, was Mary Morrison and she died in 1859; they had one daughter, Bertha (see below).  Then, in 1862, he married Eliza Maria Trollope (1842-1929) and there were eight more children.  On being widowed Eliza took her brood to live at Newland House.

Bertha Glossop (c.1857-1936) married Edward Henry Bridgman Sawbridge JP (c.1841-1923), who was mentioned earlier; he had been a Captain in the South Wales Borderers (24th regiment of Foot).  Their children were Isabella (c.1880-1956, unmarried), Mary Gwendoline (1882-1966, married Colonel Sir Edward Philip le Breton – see above), Audrey (1884-1982, unmarried) and Silvia Bertha (c.1889-1967, married William Fitzherbert How).

Mary Eliza Glossop (c.1864-1932) married the son of an Archdeacon of Dorset, Campbell Fortescue Stapleton Sanctuary (1858-1933), in 1886.  He was a land agent and surveyor and the family lived in Dorset and then Devon.  The children, all born in Melplash, Dorset, were:-

Campbell Thomas Sanctuary (c.1890-1958), married Elizabeth Barbara Parsons

Arthur George Everard Sanctuary (1891-1992), married Evelyn Batho Castle

Mary Frances Alice Sanctuary (1892-1983) married Lt. Col (later Major General and OBE) Maxwell Spieker Brander (1884-1972).

Isabel Gemma Sanctuary (1896-1964) married Horace Howard.

Harry Nicholson Sanctuary (1898-1973) married Eileen Mary Edwards.

The Reverend Charles Henry James Glossop (1864-1937) was Rector of Lufton in Somerset from 1906 to 1915.  His wife was Ada Watson, who died in 1941.  Their son was George Charles William Glossop (1906-80).

Ellen Maria Glossop (1865-1931, unmarried)

Major Francis Edward Glossop (1866-1931) was a regular army officer who served in Burma and South Africa.  In 1911 he and his wife, Ellen Sabine Pasley, had set up home in the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Canada (see earlier) and, after service in the First World War, he settled on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

The Venerable The Reverend Arthur George Barnard Glossop (1867-1949) was a member of the Universities Mission to Central Africa and lived and worked in Nyasaland (now Malawi), where he was Archdeacon of Likoma Island.

William Richard Newland Glossop (1868-1941)

Alice Emma Harriet Glossop (born c.1870, unmarried) was better known as Allerley Glossop, artist, and if you ‘google’ her under that name a large number of images of her paintings will come up.  She had taught art at a place called the Sphinx Studios in London, but they closed and in 1900 she emigrated to South Africa, where she farmed and painted.  She is said to have been known for wearing men’s clothes and smoking a pipe and was known to her friends as ‘Joe’.  She died at Lion River, Natal in 1955.

Vice-Admiral John Collings Taswell Glossop CB (1871-1934) had a close association with the Australian Navy and is best known for commanding ‘HMAS Sydney’ when it sunk the German cruiser ‘Emden’ off the Cocos Islands in 1914.  Rather than re-invent the wheel, I refer you to  http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/glossop-john-collings-taswell-6403.
Commander Harry Anthony Pownall Glossop RN (1873-1918).
 
copyright peoplegen/laj 2012