Tom Corbett - Space Cadet was based on characters in Robert Heinlein's juvenile novel SPACE CADET published in 1948. However, recent material has indicated that SF author Joseph Greene had contributed to the early development of the Tom Corbett character. The books follow the adventures of Tom and his friends Roger Manning and Astro as they work their way through Space Academy to become officers of the Solar Guard. Along the way they tangle with space pirates, smugglers, and the threat of demerits for breaking the rules.
Tom's career covered every media outlet of the 1950's, except the movies. There were:
- Eight hardback books published by Grosset and Dunlap from 1952 to 1956
- Fourteen comics published by Dell & Prize comics from 1952 to 1955
- A daily and Sunday newspaper strip written by Paul S. Newman and drawn by Ray Bailey from September 1951 to September 1953
- A six month run of radio shows in 1952
- A TV series (starring Frankie Thomas) from Oct 1950 to 1956.
Click Here for --->Rare and Unique Hard Cover Books and Paperback Books for Sale on Ebay
1. Stand By For Mars - Carey Rockwell
In this book, we learn how the Polaris Unit first came together -- and how they almost washed out before they got off the ground -- and how their first mission went from a training maneuver, to a rescue, to a struggle to survive in the Martian deserts.
The stories followed the adventures of Tom Corbett and other cadets at the Space Academy as they train to become members of the Solar Guard. The action takes place at the Academy in classrooms and bunk rooms, aboard their training ship the rocket cruiser Polaris, and on alien worlds, both within our solar system and in orbit around nearby stars. This book describes the exciting adventures of our young heroes as they seek to track down and destroy the powerful and evil space pirates that are causing havoc among the space lanes. Have the boys met their match in these ruthless killers? Will the hard-boiled professional murderers of innocent people bee too much for our lads? Only time will tell but one thing is absolutely sure: no matter how much danger there is, the Space Cadets will always go in, risking their own lives to protect the people depending on them.
3. Danger in Deep Space (Dramatic Reading) - The year is 2353. Tom Corbett is a cadet with the Space Academy, training to become a member of the elite Solar Guard. Sent on a top-secret mission across the stars, Tom and his fellow crew members discover the nature of true loyalty, as they battle against danger in deep space.
4. Sabotage in Space - This book is part of the on-going adventures of Tom Corbett in the Space Cadet Stories. Tom, Astro and Roger are determined to find the saboteurs but get framed in the process, risking court martial and expulsion from the Space Academy. NOTE: Carey Rockwell is a pseudonym used by Grosset & Dunlap. It is unknown who wrote the books.