Profile of the Department of Information Technology

Prafulla Chandra College as it is named today was formerly known as City College Commerce, South Calcutta, Evening Unit of the South Calcutta Branch meant exclusively for boys taking up B.Com. (Honours and General) and B.A. (Honours and General) courses, this college has proved its worth as a pathfinder in many different respects. The foundation stone of the South Calcutta Building was laid on January 6, 1954 by the late Harendra Kumar Mukherjee, the then Governor of West Bengal. Later on the Evening Unit of South Calcutta became an independent college and is dedicated to the memory of Acharya Prafulla Chandra Roy.

Prafulla Chandra College, one of the largest and finest educational institutions of West Bengal, was established by the Brahmo Samaj Education society as a part of Social movement of Sadharan Brahmo Samaj of India. The trail blazed by the founding fathers of Sadharan Brahmo Samaj is sought to be followed to this day. In conformity with the spirit of their line of thinking and the changing world order the college.

Department of Information Technology came into existence after the inclusion of IT in the syllabus of Calcutta University. The department has a computer lab of its own in addition to a modest collection of rich reference books pertaining to Information Technology. The faculties in the department take a keen interest on adopting ICT based pedagogy which will be beneficent to the students at large.