home‎ > ‎

New Jersey's other maltsters

Van Vliet
- Newark, NJ

 Hinchliffe > Paterson > National
 Paterson, NJ

(above) Turn of the century postcard view of the Van Vliet's Passaic Malt House (center) on Commercial Wharf.
To the right in the far background are the smokestacks and buildings of P. Ballantine and Sons ale brewery and malt houses.


   The F. G. & I. N. Van Vliet company appears to have originated as a partnership with Matthew White (son of John G. White, of Albany, NY who was said to be "...the first American maltster to conduct the industry and trade on a broad basis" (100 Years of Brewing) and is probably the basis of the claim above of being the oldest maltsters in the US.

(above) 1860's era NYC Directory ad

   Owned by brothers Frederick G. and Isaac N. Van Vliet, the company also had a malt house in NYC and were headquartered in the city at 402 Produce Exchange. Called "the leading maltsters in the United States" in an 1897 history of New England industries.

(above) Colorized drawing of the Van Vliet Passaic Malt House from an 1874 map of Newark and (below) one from 1895.


[BELOW] The remains of the Hinchliffe brewhouse today (center portion in illustration - above right - Governor Street view) from Google.


A 1944 fire - always a threat at malting facilities -  destroyed part of the complex (described only as a "three story structure" in newspaper reports) and another nearby fire in 1978 caused "explosions ... of high alcohol content material" within National Malting.  Long after closing, a 1997 destroyed the remains of the malt house.


   The Eagle Brewery and malt house would be built by John Hinchliffe in 1870 and run initially with two partners as Shaw, Hinchliffe & Penrose.  After the latter's retirement, it would become Shaw & Hinchliffe, then just Hinchliffe and, after his sons took over the business,  Hinchliffe Brothers.

(Above- click for larger view)

   PBMC would close Hinchliffe in 1917 and convert it to cold storage for WWI supplies.


     After Repeal, in April, 1935 then-Paterson mayor, John V. Hinchliffe announce he would be leasing the Hinchliffe malt house to a Syracuse NY firm (he declined to name the company) which would open New Jersey's only malting plant.

   In 1935, members of the European family maltsters Brach (malt houses in Dresden and in Czecho-slovakia) took over a portion of the former Hinchliffe facility and operated in as the National Malting Co. (Another section of the brewery would house the First Caramel Malting Co.)  Unknown if they were related to the "Syracuse firm" mentioned in early reports.

   In the late 1930s, the students of the United States Brewers' Academy of NYC would visit National for the study of malting.

   [ABOVE] Ferdinand Gero was a cousin of Robert and Alfred Brach according to Dresden passenger ship records.  As shown, later spelled "Garrow", with wife Etta, formerly treasurer, now listed as "chemist" at National.

A 1999 obituary for  Andrew G. Kardos claimed he had been owner and president of National Malting.  Kardoz was listed in Paterson city directories through the 1940-1950s as "supt" (superintendent) at 9 Ann St.  but in his home directory of Fair Lawn, 1958, as "mfr" (
manufacturer) -Unknown if he later bought the firm.  Andrew Kardos held a patent for a Malting Apparatus.

   Over the years National Malting would supply malt to a number of NY-NJ metro area brewers, including Schaefer, but their initial primary market were South American breweries which had previously purchased European malt, unavailable during WWII.

Arthur Hahn [ABOVE] was a Brach in-law.

   The firm was purchased by Great Lakes Malting Co. of Kewashkum, WI - a joint venture of Buffalo Malting Co. and Red Wing Malt Co., in 1984.
(Brach family records claim they sold out in 1981). 

   In 1985, when one of the earliest east coast craft beer "microbreweries" opened in New York City (previously contract brewed at F. X. Matt in Utica), Mathew Reich's Old New York Brewing Co.,  purchased National Malt for his New Amsterdam Amber Beer and other beers, according to a story in The New York Times, 12-11-1985.

   The National Malting Corp. of Paterson, NJ apparently closed soon after.
Subpages (1): Brewery Malt Houses