Proteans are serpentine outsiders of pure chaos.
Proteans have the following traits:
- Blindsense (distance varies by protean type).
- Immunity to acid.
- Resistance to electricity 10 and sonic 10.
- Constrict and grab as special attacks.
- Supernatural flight.
- Freedom of Movement (Su): A protean has continuous freedom of movement, as per the spell.
- Amorphous Anatomy (Ex): A protean’s vital organs shift and change shape and position constantly. This grants it a 50% chance to ignore additional damage caused by critical hits and sneak attacks, and grants it immunity to polymorph effects (unless the protean is a willing target). A protean automatically recovers from physical blindness or deafness after 1 round by growing new sensory organs to replace those that were compromised.
- Change Shape (Su): A protean’s form is not fixed. Once per day as a standard action, a protean may change shape into any Small, Medium, or Large animal, elemental, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin. A protean can resume its true form as a free action, and when it does so, it gains the effects of a heal spell (CL equal to the protean’s HD).
Beings of pure chaos, the serpentine proteans slither through the anarchic improbabilities of Limbo, remaking reality according to their whims. According to their own history, they were already here when the first gods pulled forth the other planes from raw chaos—and they have been battling against the indignity ever since. Hereditary and ideological enemies of Axis, Heaven, and Hell, and especially of the residents of those planes, all proteans see it as their sacred duty to return the bland, static expanses of mundane reality to the beautiful incongruities of Limbo, for the planes’ own good and for the greater glory of their mysterious god, a dualistic deity which may be a living aspect of Limbo itself. They are Limbo’s living, breathing immune system, rooting out infections of mundanity and replacing them with beautiful entropy. Primeval in shape and philosophy, proteans are the race that most perfectly embodies the twin aspects of creation and destruction (although certain aeons might contest this claim). Even their language is mutable, evolving so quickly that few outsiders can understand it without magical aid. Ecological study is nearly impossible, as reproduction can take a wide variety of forms, from sexual union to fission to spontaneous generation. Despite their deceptively similar natural appearances, the two things that truly unify the protean race are slavish devotion to their strange god and a fervent desire for the dissolution of reality as we know it.
Equal in power to demon lords or empyreal lords, the beings known as protean lords are an enigma, far older than other proteans and perhaps spawned in a previous iteration of the multiverse or somewhere beyond the depths of Limbo. Disdaining direct leadership, protean lords act according to their own desires, occasionally appearing to advise their lesser kin or keep an inscrutable eye on entities whose powers rival their own.
Many proteans, particularly the imenteshes, have the ability to create and manipulate ripples in reality known as warpwaves. Yet even a protean can’t predict what effects a warpwave might have. When a creature is affected by a warpwave, roll 1d20 and consult the table below to see what effect the entropic energies have.
|1||Target takes 2 Strength damage.|
|2||Target takes 2 Dexterity damage.|
|3||Target takes 2 Constitution damage.|
|4||Target takes 2 Intelligence damage.|
|5||Target takes 2 Wisdom damage.|
|6||Target takes 2 Charisma damage.|
|7||Target gains 1 negative level.|
|8||Target is blinded or deafened for 1d4 rounds.|
|9||Target is confused for 1d4 rounds.|
|10||Target is entangled by filaments of energy for 1d4 rounds.|
|11||Target becomes fatigued (or exhausted if already fatigued).|
|12||Target becomes nauseated for 1d4 rounds.|
|13||Target is stunned for 1d4 rounds.|
|14||Target is sickened for 1d4 rounds.|
|15||Target is staggered for 1d4 rounds.|
|16||Target gains 4d6 temporary hit points.|
|17||Target is affected by a heal spell (CL = protean’s CR).|
|18||Target is turned to stone.|
|19||Target is affected by baleful polymorph (CL = protean’s CR).|
|20||Portions of target’s body burst with energy of a random type (choose between acid, cold, electricity, or fire), dealing 4d6 points of damage of the appropriate type to the target.|