The estate Clingendael, located in the municipality of Wassenaar to the Hague district Benoordenhout, is owned by the municipality of The Hague. In the 16th century was written on a farm in the Clinge (dune valley) stood where now is Clingendael. In 1591 Philips bought the land Doublet. Philips Doublet III broke off the farm, built a house and put under the influence of French classical garden design a garden in baroque style with lots of box hedges and symmetrical patterns. The house became a center of art and culture. His wife Susanna and his father Constantijn Huygens played an important role.
In 1804 the estate was owned by Baron Brienen. In 1839 at the Clingendael estate adjacent Oosterbeek added, separated only by a moat. Marguerite M. Baroness Brienen, nicknamed Mademoiselle Daisy, (The Hague 1871 - 1939) lived there until her death in 1939.
It was occupied by the war, Reich Commissioner Arthur Seyss-Inquart. During the war years the estate was part of the Atlantic Wall. Trees were felled, built bunkers and houses were demolished in the Benoordenhout. But since their house was Clingendael the home of the Reich Commissioner Seyss-Inquart was. After the war, the estate owned by the family of Michael Verduyn
After the war, Baron and Baroness Michiels of Verduyn - Jochems live there. Before the war they lived at Estate Reigersbergen that was destroyed during the war. From the first marriage of the Baroness with Ernst Louis Leopold Baron Tuyll of Serooskerken (1875-1959) she had a son, Frederick William Walter, born Estate Reigersbergen who moved back to Clingendael. One year after the death of Baron Michiels, the estate was sold to The Hague. Until her death in 1968 allowed the Baroness and her son stayed at Clingendael. Her son then went on Duindigt residence owned by the family Jochems.
The coach house. Opposite the main house is an old coaching inn. Part of it is occupied, a part of it is studio space for artists.
The Clingendael Institute is in urgent need of storage. It has taken space at the tearoom, but in early 2008 it was decided that vacant space in the coach not to artists will be given.
House Gardener. At the entrance of the park are two small houses with thatched roof and shutters that are painted in the colors of the coat of arms, red and white. To the left of the driveway is still some staff housing. At the Van Alkemade Laan are two 'Norwegian' wooden houses from 1931.
The garden.Baron Brienen left the garden by Zocher adapt to the English landscape style. Having worked Zocher landscapers Springer and Petzold on the estate.
The most famous part of the garden is undoubtedly the Japanese garden, which is only six weeks a year from 9:00 to 8:00 p.m. hours opened to the public because he is so vulnerable. Daisy Lady traveled widely and took lanterns from Japan, a water and some bridges to be here with a Japanese garden to build. It is now the largest Japanese garden in the Netherlands with an area of 6800 sqm. Since 2001, the garden is a monument. In 2008 the pavilion refurbished. The sliding panels, the "shojis' were lost in the war and have been created as Japan. Also, the thatched roof and refurbished the two bridges are replaced by the so-called bridge type or 'dobashi. Saburo Sone landscaper was invited by the municipality to cut. In 2008 the Japanese Garden has been the first in a weekend fall open. This is so much that in 2009 the garden was opened two weeks, and the week before the autumn. This happens in the coming years also. There are some Japanese works of art.
Sterrenbos.The dense Sterrenbos from the days of Lady Daisy. There is an undergrowth of rhododendrons and azaleas.
Slingermuur.Uit 1730 dates the remainder of the pendulum wall at the coach house. The wall was built to shelter to create trees with soft fruits such as apricots, pears, peaches and plums. He is often erroneously called the tube wall, but their construction is different. A tube wall is isolated and has no ribs or supports. There are about ten tube walls present in the Netherlands. The wall was restored in 1985.
Old Holland Garden
Once here was a reflection of job teahouse. The house still exists, and the French-style stone stairs to LA Springer (1887) and the steps of the garden a complete whole. In the early 20th century a former Holland garden planted with box hedges and flowerbeds. There is a bronze statue of the "Dancing Girl" created by artist couple Jean and Marianne Bremer Helvoirt.