Salvage — Highlights

Chronology of selected highlights and historic facts

By Gordon & Margaret Handcock

 

The font cover, pulpit and choir pews were made by Walter Robert Brown (1873-1912) and John (Jack) Oldford (l866-1926). The altar was designed and made by teacher Walter Bugden and is a memorial to those who served during the Great War 1914-18.

St. Stephen's was built on the same model as the Church in Greenspond designed by the Reverend Julian Moreton. These plans were passed to his brother the Reverend John Moreton of Kings Cove and used for the new church in Salvage. St. Stephen's, Greenspond was modelled on St. Peters in Twillingate and St. Peters on St. James in Poole, Dorset, England.

In 1862 Salvage became the headquarters of a mission that included Broomclose, Barrow Harbour, Little Harbour, Sailor's Island, Flat Island, Gooseberry lslands and Bloody Bay (Angle Brook - Glovertown). Later were added Salvage Bay (Eastport), Happy Adventure, Sandy Cove, Menchions Cove (in Terra Nova Park), Damnable (St. Chad's), Squid Tickle and Hollett's Tickle (Burnside).

  • 1813 First visit by a missionary.
  • 1826 Society for the Propagation of the Gospel school teacher, James R. Sheldon, lay reader.
  • 1827 June 26 Visit of Bishop John Inglis of Nova Scotia, 49 persons confirmed.
  • 1836-9 Sunday School kept by lay teachers-James Oldford and Richard Dyke.
  • 1841 Visitation of Bishop Aubrey Spencer-Salvage becomes part of Kings Cove mission.
  • 1846 July 23 First visit of Bishop Edward Feild after whom Bishop's Harbour was named.
  • 1859-62 Fund raising and church construction supervised by the Rev. William Kirby of Kings Cove.
  • 1865 Sept. 25 St. Stephen's consecrated by Bishop Feild.
  • l860s Most popular hymn-The recently composed "Eternal Father Strong to Save". The hymn for those "who go down to the sea and occupy their business in great waters".
  • 1878 Lamps were first installed - previously evening services were held at 3 pm.
  • 1878 Construction of first Parish Hall.
  • 1896 Church bell installed.
  • 1897 June 20 Service of Thanksgiving marking the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
  • 1902 Chancel of Church enlarged. Mr. Jacob Moss foreman. December 13 four marriages one day. (10 a.m., 11 a.m., 6 p.m., 7:30 p.m.) John R. Dyke. and Caroline Hapgood. Job Stead and Mary Ann Squire. Andrew Oldford and Selina Ann Moss. John Moss and Rebecca Oldford.
  • 1911 June 22 Service celebrating Coronation of King George V.
  • 1920 Dedication of Memorial Altar to honour those who fought and those who died in the First World War.
  • 1932 June 14 Memorial service to mourn the tragic drowning of James Heffern and sons Ronald — Arthur.
  • 1935 May 6 Service celebrating Silver Jubilee of King George V.
  • 1936 Memorial Service for King George V.
  • 1944 Oct 8 Memorial service for Baxter Heffern, son of James, drowned returning home from Labrador on the schooner Mildred, Edward Burden skipper.
  • 1949 December 25 First servers - Jack A. Brown and Enos Brown.
  • 1952 Opening of new parish hall.
  • 1958 July 27 First service with electric organ - Jessie Brown organist.
  • 1960 May 22 First service with robed choir.
  • 1970 Church steeple removed.
  • 1975 Electric chimes installed.
  • 1985 September 29 Celebration marking 120th anniversary of consecration.
  • 1989 July 1 A Thanksgiving Celebration of the 100th Birthday of Uncle John Chaytor.
  • 1998 August Centennial celebrations for the Anglicans Church Women's Association, formerly CEWA.

In preserving this church we honour much more than a building. We also celebrate our roots, the very fabric of our existence. In knowing our history and taking pride in it, we adjoin ourselves to our heritage and to those who lived and worshipped here, long years ago. It is important to remember that human life endures but a few autumns. All too soon, we too are tomorrow's past.

Reprinted with permission of Gordon & Margaret Handcock.