Why do a driving contract?
A DRIVING CONTRACT:
- Let's the teenager know you take this matter very seriously and that driving is a serious matter.
- Prevents unclear rules, confusion about rules, "You said--I thought you meant..." kind of statements.
- Gives you a way to clarify your own thoughts about this and to get them down on paper.
Many contracts are shorter and more
concise than mine, and there's something to be said for that approach.
Mine, as a young person once said, is obnoxiously detailed.
Any good contract, ought to cover, at minimum, these areas:
1. Use of cell phones, car stereos, MP3 players and other electronics.
2. Safety belt use.
3. Law enforcement issues (crashes, tickets, speeding).
4. Alcohol and other drugs.
5. Number of passengers.