Magnolia Lane Plantation
Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana
Magnolia Lane Plantation (Ghost Adventures)
|Zak, Nick and Aaron head to Natchitoches, LA, to investigate the
Magnolia Plantation. Many slaves labored and died at this cotton
plantation, which was built in 1830.
The crew looks for evidence of
voodoo rituals slaves may have used to seek revenge on the owners.
Plantation is a former plantation in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana.
The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2001.
plantation is included in the Cane River Creole National Historical
Park. This is a destination on the Louisiana African American Heritage
The plantation traces its roots back to Jean Baptiste
LeComte II, who received French and Spanish land grants in the
This was the beginning of the plantation's history, although
the structures were not built until the 1800s, and the plantation was
not officially in use until 1830.
Ambrose LeComte, son of Jean Baptiste,
married Julia Buard and began a tradition of community and cultivation
on a vast piece of property.
Their two daughters, Laura and Ursula
Atala, married two sons from the Hertzog family: Bernard Theophile Henry
and Matthew Hertzog, respectively.
Atala and Matthew Hertzog took over
the plantation shortly after their marriage in 1852, thus linking the
Hertzog name to Magnolia.
Magnolia Plantation is exceptional
because of the farming technology, such as the cotton picker tractors
and two cotton gins (both steam- and animal-powered).
It also has 21
buildings contributing to the site, an unusual number for surviving
plantations. Among these are the eight quarters, rare brick cabins used
by workers who lived and worked on the plantation for 100 years after
the Civil War.
One of the slave shacks located at the Magnolia Lane Plantation. It is believed that some slaves used voodoo rituals to seek revenge on
the owners of the Magnolia Lane because many slaves died at this cotton
The plantation was also exceptional for its effect
on the community and the Cane River area. La Côte Joyeuse became home
to many, including writer Francois Mignon. He claimed to have come to
visit Magnolia on Cane River for a week and stayed sixty years.
years after the American Civil War, "the Hertzogs," as the place was
familiarly known, was the center of a community of Creoles of color and
blacks who lived and worked on the plantation as tenant farmers and
laborers. Changes in agriculture led people to urban jobs in the
The area is owned by the National Park Service
and the Allan family, among them Danielle Allan and her cousin Holly
Guinard, Verity Cushman, Christina Elder, Christopher Navia, Robert
Freeman, Mr. Atwood, and Mrs. Gibson. The Park Service has acquired 16
buildings. It continues to improve their condition so that they may be
preserved for future generations.