Seguin Island Lighthouse
Located off the Mouth of the Kennebec River



Located off the Mouth of the Kennebec River
Haunted Lighthouse - Seguin Island

The Seguin lighthouse is located on the mouth of the Kennebec river in Georgetown Maine and is one of the oldest lighthouses in the U.S.

The stories of this lighthouse show many tragic and sad events over its history.

One of the stories is that the first lighthouse keeper died on the island, penniless and boatless.

Some people say that his ghost haunts the other lighthouse keepers that have come to the island. There have been sightings of an apparition climbing the old lighthouse stairs to tend to the light.

People have named this ghost the "Old Captain". 

Although the USCG Light List says it is a "Brick conical tower", all of the photographs show a white cylindrical tower apparently made of granite blocks.

Seguin Light was listed on the NRHP (National Register of Historic Places) as "Seguin Island Light Station" on March 8th, 1977.

Note that although the NRHP listing gives a date of 1790, the USCG web site and other references suggest that the current tower was built in 1857.

One of the most tragic tales of this lighthouse is that of a former caretaker in the mid 1800s who was driven insane and murdered his wife and then took his own life.

The legend states that the caretaker brought his wife on the island shortly after they were married. Apparently she became depressed over time and her husband bought a piano for her in hopes this would cheer her up. 

She would play the piano from the only sheet of music that was on the island. She continued to play the same song over and over until finally her husband took an axe to the piano and her and then he killed himself.

The sounds of a piano playing can still be heard to this day.
 
Seguin Light is a lighthouse on Seguin Island at the mouth of the Kennebec River, Maine. It was first established in 1795. The present structure was built in 1857.

It is the highest lighthouse on the Maine coast and has the only first order Fresnel lens ever used there. A first order lens assembly is around 12 feet (3.7m) tall; this can be seen in the photo of the lighthouse.