List of Reportedly Haunted Locations in the World
Locations that are Reported to be Haunted by Ghosts or other Supernatural Beings


This is a list of locations in the world that are reportedly haunted by ghosts or other supernatural beings. Reports of haunted locations are part of ghostlore, which is a form of folklore. Ghostlore is considered to be a story having supernatural or frightening elements, especially a story featuring ghosts or spirits of the dead.

Australia

  • The Alkimos is a shipwreck of a former U.S. Navy ship from World War II that occurred off the coast of Western Australia in 1964.
  • Beechworth Lunatic Asylum in Beechworth, Victoria is reportedly haunted by several ghosts of departed patients. The asylum was open from 1867-1995. Ghost tours are run nightly.
  • Monte Cristo Homestead in Junee, New South Wales was the site of seven deaths in the 1800s. Various ghost groups have reported sightings there.
  • A large number of visitors to Port Arthur, Tasmania report seeing spectres of past convicts and others wandering through the grounds. Stories of ghostly interactions are recorded from the 1870s to the present day with many of these modern sightings recorded on the nightly ghost tours held at the site.
  • Thirteen people were executed at the Ballarat Gaol in Ballarat. The remains of seven criminals are still in the grounds. The Ballarat Ghost Tours operate nightly.
  • Princess Theatre in Melbourne has reported several ghosts since the building opened in 1886. The theatre's best known 'inhabitant' is Frederick Baker, stage name 'Federici', a talented bass-baritone singer who died in March 1888 whilst singing Mephistopheles in Faust - and who was seen by the rest of the cast taking his bows with them shortly thereafter. For years the theatre kept a seat vacant in the dress circle for Federici (only ceasing the practice on economic grounds), and his appearance in the dress circle during rehearsals for a new show is considered a good omen.
  • Lalor House in Richmond, Victoria is reportedly haunted by the ghosts of the family of Peter Lalor.
  • The Mill Hill Hotel in Bondi Junction, New South Wales is allegedly haunted by former workers, including the former hotel-keeper William Phillips.

Brazil

  • The Joelma Building in São Paulo is allegedly haunted by victims of the fire that started on February 1, 1974, after an air conditioning unit on the twelfth floor overheated. The building is famous for the "Mystery of the Thirteen Souls", individuals who died within an elevator when they were trying to escape the fire, and are allegedly haunting the building today

Canada

  • The Old Spaghetti Factory, Gastown, Vancouver, British Columbia. If you are looking for eerie eating in Vancouver, check out the Old Spaghetti Factory in the Gastown neighborhood. You may hear stories of inexplicable cold drafts and moving table settings, shenanigans attributed to the ghost of a certain train conductor who met his end during a tragic collision on the underground railway track upon which the restaurant is built. Enjoy the delicious food, but watch that your cutlery doesn’t float off on you.
  • Banff Springs Hotel, Banff, Alberta. A blocked off stairway, said to be haunted by a tragic bride, and a mystery missing room, rumored to be locked forever to contain the family of ghosts that inhabits it, give rise to multiple tales of hauntings and eerie events in this historic and beautiful chateau hotel.
  • St. Louis Ghost Train, St. Louis, Saskatchewan. If you pass through the village of St. Louis, Saskatchewan, late at night, be on the lookout for the phantom lights out on the dirt road where the train tracks used to be. Whether these lights are a paranormal phenomenon or the perfectly natural occurrence, the curious appearance of these lights nearly every night has attracted curious onlookers for over thirty years. Some say the light is a ghost train, others the lantern held by the spirit of a conductor who lost his head on the tracks and searches eternally to find it. The realists claim that it is simply a refraction of headlights from the highway a few miles off.
  • Government House, Regina, Saskatchewan. Howie, the affectionately named ghost of Regina’s Government House, has been credited with the opening and shutting of doors without aid of human hands, unaccounted-for footsteps on the stairs and the mysterious movement of items from one location to another. Some theories hold that “Howie” is actually the ghost of the former cook of Lieutenant-Governor McNab, who died in the house. However, others claim that there are more than one ghost inhabiting this historical mansion which once served as home to Lieutenant-Governors of the Northwest Territories.
  • Fort Garry Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba. This castle-like hotel in Winnipeg is rumored to be haunted by a number of ghosts. Even a Canadian Member of Parliament was so convinced of a presence in her room that she fled from her room in the middle of the night.
  • Gibraltar Point Lighthouse, Toronto Islands, Toronto, Ontario. This historic site at Hanlan’s Point on Toronto’s beautiful Toronto Islands played host to some foul play in the nineteenth century when the lighthouse keeper at the time was murdered one evening. Accounts of exactly how the death occurred and who committed the crime have varied, but the mystery draws many intriguing stories about the former lighthouse keeper’s ghost.
  • Ottawa Jail Hostel, Ottawa, Ontario. What better place to find restless souls than in the halls and former cells of the Ottawa Jail Hostel, which once served as the Carleton County Gaol and housed the last working gallows in Canada! The hostel regularly celebrates its macabre past with “parties with the ghosts” on special occasions and is featured along the Haunted Tour of Ottawa.
  • Museum of Nature in Ottawa, Ontario has been reported to be haunted on the fourth floor. Reports of the building being haunted date back to the original opening of the museum in 1912. In 1989 a woman claimed to have made contact of a Cree Indian named Swift Eagle whose spirit was attached to an article of clothing within the museum. Cold spots and strange noises have been reported by security guards on the fourth floor as well as lights have been known to turn on and off by themselves. Even a native Indian display has been known to move on its own.
  • Old Montreal, Quebec. This historic area and popular tourist attraction in Montreal provides the setting to many of Montreal’s most famous ghost stories, from the ghosts of a prostitute looking for her head to the spirits of families lost in a great hotel fire. If you’re out in Old Montreal looking for a quaint boutique or an interesting restaurant, keep your eyes open also for the wandering reminders of the area’s history.
  • Miramichi, New Brunswick. From a headless nun walking the French Fort Cove footbridge to the haunted St. Michael’s church, Miramichi is rich with phantom folklore, and is also, incidentally, a beautiful wharf city to visit on vacation.
  • St. Francis Xavier University, Mount St. Bernard College, Antigonish, Nova Scotia. This university in Nova Scotia hosts tales of mysteriously moving objects, phantom elevators moving around with no passengers, inexplicable voices and shadows.

Cambodia

  • Tuol Sleng in Phnom Penh, a former high school, was converted to a prison camp during the Khmer Rouge era.

Denmark

  • Dragsholm Castle in Zealand is said to be haunted by the ghost of James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell, who was imprisoned there for about five years until his death in 1578.

India

  • Bhangarh, Rajasthan: In the first half of the 17th century, Madho Singh of Amber built his capital here with the sanction of an ascetic Baba Balanath, who meditated there, but not without his dire prediction: "Look my dear chap! The moment the shadow of your palace touches me, you are undone. The city shall be no more!" In ignorance, Ajab Singh, one of the dynasty's later descendants, raised the palace to such a height that the shadow reached the forbidden place. Hence the devastation.

The second myth is as follows: A tantric battle waged between the lovely queen Ratnavali and the wicked sorcerer Singha Sevra, who was attracted by the queen's beauty. Singha Sevra chhatri can be seen on the top of the hill. Desperately, he tried to trap her in his magical web, and failed every time, as the queen herself was a past-mistress in the tantric art.

The last battle took place on the day when the queen losing eventually her temper, transformed a glass bottle containing the massaging oil into a big rock and flung it towards the hill-top, where sat the devil. In vain he tried to stall this glass missile. It was too late.

Sensing his imminent death, concentrating all his powers, he spat his dying curse: "I die! But thou too, thou Ratnavali shall not live here anymore. Neither thou, nor thine kin, nor these walls of the city. None shall see the morning sun!".

The night was spent transferring the palace treasures to the new site of Ajabgarh. In the morning came the tempest levelling everything to the ground. The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has put up a signboard at Bhangarh stating (among others): "Entering the borders of Bhangarh before sunrise and after sunset is strictly prohibited." Tourists who visit this place say that there is a strange feeling in the atmosphere of Bhangarh, which causes symptoms of anxiety and restlessness



Indonesia

  • Pelabuhan Ratu - Legend says that Nyai Roro Kidul (Nyai is a Javanese honorific for Madame), daughter of King Prabu Siliwangi, is the Queen of the South Sea. She is supposed to have committed suicide by jumping off the cliff and into the sea. Rumors say that if someone wears green when swimming (the Queen's favorite color), he or she will be pulled by her ghost into the sea. Room 308 at the Samudra Beach Hotel is set aside for the Queen.

Japan

  • Amiidaji (Temple of Amida) in Dan-no-ura, in the Shimonoseki Strait, is the location of a legendary haunting. It is said that the blind Biwa hōshi Hoichi, a resident of the temple, was visited every night by the ghost of a dead samurai and made to play the biwa in the cemetery, but the priest of the temple soon found out and had the heart sutra painted on every part of Hoichi's body apart from the ears.

    When the samurai returned one night to take Hoichi to the cemetery, he could only see Hoichi's ears, so he took them instead and Hoichi was left earless. Hoichi is commonly known as "Mimi-Nashi Hoichi", "Hōichi the Earless", due to this event. This legend was famously retold by Lafcadio Hearn in his Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things which was later adapted as part of Masaki Kobayashi's film Kwaidan.
  • Aokigahara, the forest at the bottom of Mt. Fuji, is a popular location for suicide. This gives rise to a widespread belief that it is haunted. It was once featured on an episode of Destination Truth on the SyFy Channel.
  • Okiku's Well at Himeji Castle is often said to be haunted by the ghost of Okiku. She is supposed to rise from the well at night and count to nine before shrieking and returning to the well.
  • Haboro in Hokkaido

Malaysia

  • Genting Highlands is a city in Pahang well-known for its amusement park and casino. Several people have committed suicide here. A man has been seen jumping off the hotel rooftop, only to disappear just before he hits the ground. Several rooms in the hotel are never rented, no matter how high the demand for accommodation is.

    Those who did see the inside of these rooms reported that they were filled with "old Chinese ghost wards", and they would then fall inexplicably ill for days afterwards. Several people staying in the hotel there have had experiences of supernatural phenomena, such as knocking coming from inside a wardrobe that was proven to be empty.
  • Poliklinik Cheras. Formerly the Lady Templer Hospital, the foundation stone was laid by Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent in October 1952. Much of the hospital closed down in 1985, except for a few minor buildings which housed the Poliklinik Cheras. The empty, dilapidated structures were situated on a fairly secluded, leafy hillock, which added to their sinister appearance.

    One visitor reported that it felt "haunted and bizarre", and it is rumoured that it is haunted by the ghost of a patient who died on the premises. The buildings are currently being torn down to make way for a new rehabilitation hospital.

Philippines

  • Baguio City itself is also considered highly haunted. Aside from the military academy, there are other haunted places scattered throughout the city, such as cemeteries, old hotels and sites where populated buildings and structures used to stand until the 1990 earthquake brought them down, injuring and killing the people inside.
  • Balete Drive, a residential area in Cubao, Quezon City, is famous for the apparition of a white lady. It is told that there was a teenage girl who was raped by a cab driver in the '50s in that area. It is possible that the lady of Balete is seeking revenge.
  • The Manila Film Center was the site of a construction accident in the early '80s. When construction of the center was rushed for a film festival, the ceiling scaffolding collapsed, killing several workmen who fell to the orchestra below. Rather than halt construction to rescue survivors and retrieve the bodies of dead workmen, Imelda Marcos, the First Lady and the main financier of the project, was believed to have ordered cement to be poured into the orchestra, entombing the fallen workmen.

    Some of them were even buried alive in the orchestra. Various ghostly activities were reported on the site including mysterious sounds, voices and poltergeist activity. In the late '90s, a group called the Spirit Questors began to make visits to the film center in an attempt to contact and appease the souls of the workmen who were killed in the building.

    Some of these spirits claimed to have moved on, but a few allegedly remain. Previously abandoned for its haunted reputation, the building is now currently in use.
  • The Ozone Disco was a disco in Quezon City that caught on fire. Due to mass panicking, nobody was able to get out. Some people near the location hear ghostly disco music in their houses at night and see faint people dancing.

Taiwan

  • The Hyatt hotel in downtown Taipei is allegedly haunted. The lobby has Chinese calligraphy that is supposed to ward off ghosts.

Singapore

  • The Old Changi Hospital is reportedly one of the most haunted places in the country. Built in the 1930s, it is located at Netherveron Road in Changi Village. During World War II, prisoners of war were held in the hospital and tortured to death. Spirits of different races and nationalities can be seen wandering around the compound.
  • The Old Ford Motor Factory on Upper Bukit Timah Road was built by Ford Motor Works as the first car assembly plant in Southeast Asia. During World War II, Lt. General A. E. Percival, head of the Allied forces in Singapore, surrendered to Japanese General Yamashita at the factory on 15 February 1942. The Japanese forces then established their Singapore headquarters on the premises, on which many battles were fought. These days, reports have indicated that strange lights and sounds often come from the factory.
  • Fort Canning Park is the most historic part of Singapore. The hill was named in 1861 in the honor of Viscount Charles John Canning, the first Viceroy of India. Prior to 1861, the Malays called the hill Bukit Larangan (Forbidden Hill) for several possible reasons. It reputedly contains the tomb, or keramat, of Sultan Iskandar Shah, the Malay ruler of the Kingdom of Singapura, who is said to have forbidden ordinary people to come to the hill because his concubines and wives used to bath at a spring there.

    The Malays were fearful of climbing the hill as they thought the palace of their ancestor kings had once stood there. The site had sightings of fabled lion for which Sri Tri Buana, ruler of Temasek, later named the island Singapura (Lion City). Besides the fabled lion, the Malays believed that the hill is haunted by many other ghosts and spirits.
  • At the Old Commando Jetty near Changi Beach, there have been alleged sightings of pontianak, vampires of Malaysian folklore, nearby.

United Kingdom
There are a number of reportedly haunted locations in the United Kingdom.


England

  • Airfields around the country are said to have paranormal activity arising from the spirits of airmen who died in World War II.
Airfields include:
  • the former RAF Bircham Newton in Norfolk.
  • the former RAF East Kirkby in east Lincolnshire. The control tower is haunted by a 'malign' presence
  • the former RAF Elsham Wolds, near the A15 just north of Barnetby in North Lincolnshire. The control tower was reportedly haunted by a friendly ghost of an airman, reported in the 1950s. Phantom Lancasters have reportedly been seen taking off at night over the A15.
  • Arundel Castle in Sussex is often said to be home to just four ghosts but there are more ghostly goings on between its ancient walls than first meets the visitor. The spirit of the first Earl of Arundel, who originally built the castle, is said to still haunt the Castle's Keep. Another spirit is said to be of a young woman who, stricken with grief from a tragic love affair, took her own life by jumping to her death from one of the towers. Seen by some, she is said to still haunt the castle on moonlit nights dressed in white.

    Another spirit is that of a 'Blue Man' who has been seen within the library since the 1630s and it is thought that he could be a Cavalier due to his time period seeming to be from King Charles I's reign. Another notable 'spirit' is that strangely of a white owl like bird. Legend tells that if the white bird is seen fluttering in one of the windows, it is an imminent warning of a death of a Castle resident or someone closely associated.

    It's interesting to note here that Dukes used to keep a colony of white American Owls here at the castle before its restoration. There is also mention of a servant lad who once lived at the castle who was treated very badly until beaten to his death. He is said to now haunt the kitchen area and has been seen scrubbing pots and pans.

    Another strange sighting was more recent in 1958 by a footman. Working late one night on the ground floor the footman was walking near the servant's quarters and saw what he thought to be a man walking in front of him when he thought he had been alone. As he got closer to the apparition the man faded and then was gone.
  • Bochym Manor is residence to two ghosts, the short pink lady, and an unnamed ghost who stands at one of the bedroom windows.
  • Belgrave Hall in Leicester, attracted attention in 1999 when a white figure was captured on CCTV. One theory is it is the daughter of a former owner.
  • 50 Berkeley Square is reputed to be the most haunted house in London.
  • Blue Bell Hill in Kent, specifically the A229. This has been the site of a female phantom hitchhiker. Cars have stopped to pick up a female hitchhiker, only for her to vanish to the drivers' disbelief.
  • Borley Rectory in the village of Borley, Essex, England. Many sightings have been reported since 1885. The house burned down in 1939, and remains a huge source of controversy.
  • Brislington, once an attractive Somerset village but now a neighbourhood in Bristol, has many ghosts in pubs and hotels, houses old and new, and public spaces.
  • Bruce Castle in Tottenham, North London is haunted by the ghost of a woman who allegedly appears every 3 November. The ghost is thought to be Lady Coleraine, who was kept locked up in a chamber within the castle by her husband.
  • Castle Lodge, Ludlow in Ludlow, Shropshire, is believed by many to be haunted by a young girl in Tudor dress. Some say this is Catherine of Aragon, who lived in Castle Lodge during her marriage to Prince Arthur.
  • Chingle Hall in the village of Goosnargh, near Preston, England. Chingle Hall, previously known as Singleton Hall, was built in 1260 by Sir Adam de Singleton. It is reputably haunted by more than one spirit.
  • Crowley Hall in the north of England, is supposedly haunted by the spirit of Dr. Bernard Leys. Leys ran the hall for a number of years before dying under mysterious circumstances in 1952. Sightings of ghosts have been reported since the 1970s.
  • Dartmouth, Devon, ancient maritime town has many modern and traditional ghost stories including (in its hinterland) some recently discovered spirits from the Bronze Age.
  • In Dorset an axe wielding ghost riding a horse, bareback is described by witnesses as looking like a stone age warrior.
  • Hampton Court Palace, home of King Henry VIII of England, whose fifth wife, Catherine Howard, is supposed to be heard screaming in the "Haunted Gallery". On December 21, 2003, CCTV footage allegedly showed someone in 16th century clothes and no face closing a fire door that, though locked, was constantly being opened without anyone near it.
  • The Jamaica Inn in Cornwall is reputed to be haunted by a highwayman, a murdered smuggler, a mother and child, and horses.
  • Minsden Chapel in Hertfordshire is reported to be haunted by a monk climbing stairs which no longer exist.
  • The Old Bailey, London's main criminal court. A figure (of unclear sex) supposedly appears in the building during important trials. These appearances have been allegedly witnessed by judges, barristers and policemen.
  • Pluckley in Kent is listed in the 1998 edition of the Guinness Book of Records as the most haunted village in England. Ghosts include a phantom coach and horses, a colonel and a highwayman.
  • The Brown Lady of Raynham Hall has been sighted quite a few times over the years. She is so called because of the brown brocade dress she is supposedly seen wearing while wandering the halls and staircase. In 1849 a Major Loftus and a friend named Hawkins claimed to see the ghost one night after retiring to bed, saying they were amazed by the old-fashioned clothing she wore. The next night Loftus claimed to see the figure once again, saying he took note of her empty eye-sockets. The incident resulted in several members of staff resigning and a full investigation of Raynham Hall involving local detectives.
  • There have been a number of reported sightings at the Royal Albert Hall, including the ghost of Father Willis, walking around inside the organ and two ladies wandering the corridors.
  • Samlesbury Hall in Preston, Lancashire, is supposedly haunted by Lady Dorothy Southworth, known as the "White Lady". Weeping is often heard, and her ghost has been seen wandering near where her lover was buried.
  • Residents of a house at 69 Spenser Grove, Stoke Newington, were forced to flee by several ghosts and a poltergeist after a series of fires in 1969. The house has since been demolished.
  • Temple Newsam is reported to be the most haunted house in Yorkshire, with the most famous ghost being Mary Ingram, commonly known as "the Blue lady", who in her life became deranged after an attack by highwaymen. Ghosts linked with the more famous residents of Temple Newsam include "the White lady": this is said to be the ghost of the "nine days queen", the unfortunate Lady Jane Grey. She was executed by Mary I.
  • Windsor Castle — home of English and British royalty for 1,000 years. Numerous ghosts are supposed to have been seen, including Queen Elizabeth I. Her mother, Anne Boleyn, is also said to haunt Windsor castle and supposedly runs down a corridor screaming. Among those who claimed to have seen the ghost, who sometimes is said to be carrying her head, are King George VI, William Ewart Gladstone and Andrew, Duke of York.


Northern Ireland

  • Ballygally Castle Hotel is reputed to be haunted by the ghost of a Madame Nixon who lived there in the 18th century. After she died it was said that she haunted the castle, wandering the passages at night dressed in a silk dress and amusing herself by knocking on the doors of different rooms. Her fleeting appearances have recently been confined to a room in a corner turret.
  • Springhill - the 17th century Plantation House, home for nearly 300 years of the Lenox-Conyngham family, reputedly plays host to the most-sighted and best documented ghost in Ireland. Site of the tragic suicide of then-master George Lenox-Conyngham in 1816, the Blue Bedroom is the traditional setting for the many well-recorded appearances of the tall lady, dressed in black, always said to be George's widow, Olivia.

    Although the tale is uncertain, the strange and particular circumstances of her husband's dramatic death has always been the reason given to explain his widow's continued"running" of the corridors of the old mansion. Now owned by the National Trust, Springhill has become infamous for regular sightings of Olivia, historically by the family and their guests, but more recently by those who have visited the property since.


Scotland

  • Dryburgh Abbey Hotel is haunted by the Grey Lady, who drowned herself in the nearby River Tweed after the murder of her lover, a monk at the (now ruined) neighbouring Abbey.
  • Edinburgh Castle is perhaps one of the most haunted places in Scotland as it is connected to the Royal Mile by a network of underground tunnels. Many years ago a piper was sent to explore the tunnels and was told to keep playing so his progress could be tracked. However, halfway down the Royal Mile, the music suddenly stopped and the piper was never found. It is said the piper still walks the Royal Mile and sometimes the faint sound of music can often be heard from within the castle.

    It is believed the castle is also haunted by a drummer who only appears when the castle is about to be attacked.
  • Mary King's Close is a now underground close in the Old Town area of Edinburgh where legend says that plague victims were trapped by the local councilmen and left to starve to death in an attempt to stop the spread of the plague.
  • Greyfriars Kirkyard is reportedly haunted with the evil spirit of George Mackenzie. The lawyer, who earned the nickname "Bluidy Mackenzie" vigorously pursued Covenanters and tortured them. Since 1990 the church has been the site of unexplained events two days after a "vagrant" had broken into his tomb to find shelter.


Wales

  • Local legend talks of a ghost ship that haunts the coast near Abergele, North Wales, allegedly Prince Madoc's Gwennan Gorn. Sightings have been reported by present day locals and tourists.
  • Beaumaris Castle in Anglesey, North Wales is said to be home to strange echoes of chanting which have been caught on audio recording equipment by visitors to the small chapel area. The feeling of being watched has also been felt in the long dark corridors and an over-all sense of loneliness can be felt.
  • Caerphilly Castle in South Wales is said to be haunted by a ghost known as the Green Lady.
  • Maes Artro Heritage Museum in Llanbedr was formerly a RAF base and fighter training base in World War II and is now a heritage museum with re-creations of life from the 1900s. The owner of the museum has reported sightings of two RAF men that haunt the site. Manifestations and unexplained shadows have also been seen on many investigations by paranormal experts.

    The ghost of a dog is also said to haunt the area as well as unexplained voices. Poltergeist activity has been recorded here as well, ranging from moving chairs to items going missing. It is believed many of the spirits that haunt the museum are those of men who died in crashes at the base or in training accidents.
  • The Llindir Inn in Henllan, Denbighshire is said to be haunted by a ghost in a long blue gown named Sylvia, who dates back to the 18th Century. Local legend has it that Sylvia and her lover were murdered by her husband, a sea captain, who caught them in bed together.
  • Llandegla's Bodidris Hall is alleged to be haunted by a monk, a soldier, a boy, a well-dressed woman and a dog.
  • It's claimed that Newton House in Dinefwr Park, near Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire is haunted.
  • In Llanfihangel Crucorney, The Skirrid Mountain Inn, one of the oldest public houses in Wales, is reputed to be home to several ghosts. These include the spirit of a 32 year old woman who died of consumption, and the shade of a man climbing a staircase. The hauntings have been linked to mass executions carried out at the Inn during the 17th Century, following the Monmouth Rebellion of 1685.
  • Guests at the Hand Hotel in Llangollen have reported the sensation of being followed during their stay, only to turn around to find no-one there. One room is said to contain the spirit of a lady who died in childbirth, while in another a figure has been seen sitting at an organ. Guests at another hotel in the town, the Britannia Inn (allegedly built in the 13th Century), have also reported paranormal activity.

    In the latter case, the spirits of monks from the nearby Valle Crucis Abbey have been seen walking through the car park, the bar area, and appearing in the bedrooms in the middle of the night.
  • The ruins of Valle Crucis Abbey itself are said to be haunted. Set in the countryside near the River Dee, a number of events are said to have occurred at the Abbey; the manifestation of mysterious floating lights, supernatural voices, and apparitions including Welsh prince Owain Glyndwr. One report from the 1930s describes the appearance of golden figures bathed in bright light.
  • Llancaiach Fawr, a Tudor manor house near Nelson in the Caerphilly County Borough is allegedly haunted by a number of ghosts. These includes a spectre who appears to be a 19th Century housekeeper known as "Mattie", a young boy who fell to his death from one of the upper rooms, a man usually seen in deep contemplation, and a figure who walks the grounds, but not within the Manor. In 2007, the Guardian listed Llancaiach as one of the top ten haunted places in the United Kingdom.
  • The Penrhyn Old Hall in Penrhyn Bay has had many witnesses to paranormal. Many people have claimed to see an old lady sitting by the large fireplace and a feeling of being watched in the functions room. The main building was established in 1590 but the baronial hall which is now the dance floor is believed to originate from the 12th century, which caused much interest from paranormal investigators who claim they experienced fluctuations in temperature and dizzyness.
  • Plas Teg is a Jacobean house located near the village of Pontblyddyn between Wrexham and Mold. The house has featured on Living's Most Haunted programme on two occasions. The second occasion was featured as part of the Halloween Most Haunted Live! series on 31 October 2007. It was also featured in Ghost Hunting With... Girls Aloud in 2006, where the girls visited the house as their first location, where they claimed to have experienced paranormal activity.
  • Port Talbot's Margam Castle is a Victorian mansion house said to be haunted by many spirits including Lord Talbot and his daughter Emily Charlotte.


United States
There are numerous reportedly haunted locations in the United States.
This list alphabetically sorts these places by state and then alphabetically within each state.



Alabama

  • The Auburn University Chapel on Auburn University campus in Auburn was used as a Civil War hospital. It is allegedly haunted by a Confederate soldier named Sydney Grimlett.
  • Gaineswood in Demopolis, supposedly haunted by the ghost of a former housekeeper from Virginia. She was in charge of the daily running of the house for General Whitfield after the death of his wife. Her ghost plays the piano in the music room.
  • Kenworthy Hall near Marion, the fourth floor tower room is alleged to be haunted by the ghost of a young woman who sits in a window awaiting the return of a lover who died during the American Civil War.
  • Pratt Hall at Huntingdon College in Montgomery, reportedly haunted by a Red Lady. Huntingdon was originally a Methodist female college and the Red Lady is alleged to be the ghost of a lonely girl who committed suicide.
  • The Pickens County Courthouse in Carrollton is alleged to be haunted by the ghost of a former slave, Henry Wells, who was lynched by a mob after being accused of burning down the second county courthouse. Soon afterward the ghostly image of a face appeared in an upper window of the new third county courthouse, to profess Wells' innocence. Supposedly every windowpane in the courthouse was broken in a hailstorm one year, except for that pane.
  • Rocky Hill Castle, site of a former plantation near Courtland, is purported to be haunted by a "lady in blue", ghosts of Civil War soldiers, and the ghosts of tortured slaves. Prior to its destruction, it was also alleged that knocking and banging of unknown origin occurred in the house.
  • Sloss Furnaces in Birmingham is allegedly haunted by workers who died there in its time as a working blast furnace. It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.
  • Sturdivant Hall in Selma is purported to be haunted by the ghost of the second owner, John McGee Parkman. Parkman, imprisoned by Reconstruction authorities for alleged embezzlement, died during an escape attempt from Cahaba Prison in 1867.
  • The Tombigbee River near Pennington is reportedly haunted by the ghost ship Eliza Battle. The ship is supposed to return during especially cold, stormy nights to warn of impending disaster.


Arizona

  • At the Bird Cage Theatre in Tombstone, there have been reports of ghostly laughter, yelling, and strange music. These reports date back to the 1880s. It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures. It was also investigated by TAPS on Ghost Hunters.
  • The Copper Queen Hotel in Bisbee "is haunted, or at least that is what the owners claim and what numerous guests have affirmed over the years with stories about mysterious voices, odd sounds and smells, and even levitating objects."


California

  • Alcatraz is a former maximum security prison on an island in San Francisco Bay. It is no longer used as a prison. Visitors and tour guides have made claims of hearing screams, slamming cell doors, banjo music, and footsteps.
  • Andleberry Estate in Clovis is a mansion that was once part of a sanitarium. The mansion, which is allegedly haunted by ex-residents of the sanitarium, will soon be transformed into a haunted hotel called the Wolfe Manor Hotel. The owner, Todd Wolfe, has reported hearing ghosts walking and talking and even breathing on him.

    LiveSciFi.tv sent a group to spend the night inside the mansion, during which some unexplained phenomenon reportedly happened, including a door that slammed shut by itself. A local news station did an overnight investigation for Halloween of 2007 and recorded an EVP. Several other EVPs and orbs have been caught on audio and video by investigators. It was featured on the TV series Ghost Adventures.
  • Cinema 1-2-3 in Visalia has had accounts of over 300 spirits inhabiting the theater.
  • El Adobe de Capistrano Restaurant in San Juan Capistrano, which comprises the home of Miguel Yorba built in 1797 and the town's Juzgado (court and jail) built in 1812, is reputed to house a ghost in former jail cell, now the restaurant's wine cellar. In addition there have been reports of a headless friar in front of the restaurant. The small city has the highest reporting of ghosts in the county and one of the highest in California.
  • Hollywood and the surrounding area have numerous sites that are believed to be inhabited by the spirits of deceased celebrities. For example, the ghost of actress Peg Entwistle, who committed suicide by jumping off the Hollywood Sign in the Hollywood Hills, has reportedly been seen near the sign. Some apparitions have been reported as being sighted at more than one location in the area.
  • The Hotel del Coronado, in Coronado near San Diego, this historical landmark boasts claims of a haunting by a young woman named Kate Morgan who died there in 1892. It was also the filming site for the Marilyn Monroe comedy, "Some Like it Hot."
  • The Linda Vista Community Hospital in Los Angeles is allegedly haunted by the spirits of many patients who died traumatic deaths. It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.
  • Mission San Juan Capistrano is reputed to house the specters of an Indian girl, a headless Spanish soldier, and a bell ringer.
  • The Preston School of Industry in Ione was once a home to troubled youths. The castle had its share of deaths and suffering. Allegedly, the ghost of a caretaker who was bludgeoned to death by students still resides there. It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.
  • The RMS Queen Mary, docked in Long Beach, is reported to be haunted and currently serves as a literal haunted attraction for Halloween.
  • In Sunnyvale, many Toys "R" Us employees have reported seeing unusual rearranging of toys in the aisles, and reported sightings of a man in his thirties dressed in old clothing. His name is believed to be Johan, and is believed to be a farmer who used to live on the site of the Toys "R" Us and is just keeping "an eye on the old place". The store still remains open today; most customers are completely unaware of this legend.
  • The Whaley House in San Diego was built by the Thomas Whaley family in the mid-19th century. The home once hosted the town courthouse, general store, granary, theater, and morgue. It evolved into a commercial hub of early San Diego before "new town" was developed several miles south where today's downtown stands. This national historic landmark, now a museum, was also built on a one-time town gallows as well. The hauntings of this house are internationally famous with the US Commerce Department promoting its haunted reputation.
  • The Winchester Mystery House in San Jose is supposedly haunted by the ghost of its eccentric builder, Sarah Winchester. Ironically, she is said to have built the rambling mansion to protect her from the spirits of all those killed with her late husband's famous line of rifles.


Connecticut

  • The Remington Arms factory in Bridgeport was once a weapons factory. It was closed in the 1980s after countless accidents and fatalities. Afterward, the place was abandoned and was the site of many crimes. People have reported shadow figures, voices, yelling, and residual working sounds. It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.
  • Union Cemetery in Easton (also Bridgeport), which dates back to the 17th century, is touted as one of the most haunted cemeteries not only in Connecticut, but in the entire country. Many haunts have been said to exist on the grounds of the cemetery. Several visitors who have photographed the cemetery are later surprised to see orbs, light rods, ectoplasmic mists, and on rare occasions even full apparitions appear in their photographs that were not visible at the time the photo was taken.

    The most well-known haunt is a spirit known as the "White Lady". The identity of the spirit is not known, but sightings of her did not occur until the late 1940s, meaning she must have died sometime before then. People have photographed and even videotaped her. Not only have people seen her with their own eyes, but some passers-by have even "hit" her with their cars as they drove past the cemetery.


Florida

  • Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine is allegedly haunted by the Spanish soldiers who once inhabited the fort 400 years ago. It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.
  • The Riddle House in Royal Palm Beach is reputedly haunted by the spirit of Joseph, a former employee of the original owner Karl Riddle, who hanged himself in the attic after being falsely accused of a crime. Shortly after, people began reporting physical attacks, possessions, and objects moving mysteriously. Moved from its original location in West Palm Beach, the house was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.


Georgia

  • The Moon River Brewing Company in Savannah is considered very haunted by angry spirits. Staff members have reported physical attacks, possessions, and mysterious dark figures. It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.


Illinois

  • Bachelor's Grove Cemetery is a small, abandoned cemetery in the Chicago metropolitan area. It is located near Midlothian and Oak Forest, Illinois in the Rubio Woods Forest Preserve on the Midlothian Turnpike. It is well-known for its haunted stories and ghost sightings. There are countless reports of glowing balls, apparitions, squeaks, moans, groans and unexplained noises. Its adjacent pond is also known for rumored mafia affiliation with Al Capone.
  • The Polish Museum of America in Chicago is believed to be haunted by the ghost of the famous pianist Ignace Paderewski. The staff recounts a number of incidents related by a number of people, including the cleaning crew who have claimed to experience ghostly-related phenomena late at night. The Ghost Research Society was even brought in by the museum staff to investigate these claims.
  • The Stickney House in Bull Valley has a unique design due to Stickney's belief in spiritualism. It is thought that he and his wife wished to communicate with their dead children. Today the house is the local police department, and it is claimed that police report strange sounds, objects moving around, lights turning off, and door knobs turning and doors opening by themselves.

    Other homes in the area are also rumored to be haunted. The nearby Holcombville cemetery includes tombs of the Stickney children and a person killed in the crash of American Airlines Flight 191.


Indiana

  • At the Story Inn in the town of Story a guest room is supposedly haunted by a ghost known as "the Blue Lady". Little is known of who she might be, or why she might haunt that room, but her alleged presence is mentioned in many separate guestbook entries. According to some, she seems more likely to appear if a certain table-lamp is turned on.


Iowa

  • The Villisca Axe Murder House is home to some of the most notorious murders in history. It is said that the family that was murdered there in 1912 still lingers in the house.It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.


Kansas

  • The Brown Grand Theatre in Concordia has stories of a ghost that haunts the theatre, especially during the opening season.


Kentucky

        Adair County
  • Free Union Separate Baptist Church located in Adair County, Kentucky. The cemetery of this church is said to be haunted of a father and his child. A young couple that attended this church claim to have seen a ghostly man holding a baby in a pink blanket in 1972. Later, they went to the location where they saw the man and found the grave of a stillborn child and a 54 year old man. It is thought that the man haunts the graveyard with his baby girl awaiting the death of his wife so they call all be together once again.

        Campbell County
  • Bobby Mackey's Music World in the small town of Wilder is often called "the most haunted night club in America". The site of a former slaughterhouse, the headless corpse of Pearl Bryan was found near the nightclub in 1897. Her alleged killers, Scott Jackson and Alonzo Walling, avid Satan worshipers, both claimed that they would haunt the area when they were executed by hanging.

    Today, Walling and Jackson are said to haunt the well room, and an urban legend holds that the well is a portal to Hell, allowing demons to enter the nightclub. An urban legend also claims the site is haunted by the spirit of a dance hall girl named Johanna, who committed suicide after avenging her murdered lover after he was killed by her disapproving father. This claim was investigated on the first episode of the TV series Ghost Adventures.

        Carter County
  • X Cave at Carter Caves State Resort Park located in Carter County, Kentucky. According to the book, More Kentucky Ghost Stories, by Michael Paul Henson, published by The Overmountain Press, is hunted by to Cherokee Indian lovers. Huraken, a warrior in the tribe, found a rich vein of silver. Huraken kept the secret to himself because he wanted to use the silver to make gifts for Manuita, daughter of the Chief. Huraken, one day, with a group of Indians left the tribe for war.

    After the group of Indian warriors didn't return, the Tribe believed them to be dead and prepared to move. Manuita didn't want to leave the only home she has ever known, or the memory of Huraken, so she threw herself off a cliff to end her life. Huraken did not get killed, rather he returned to the vein of silver to make gifts or his love Manuita. The night he planned to return and present the gifts as a way of asking for her hand in marriage, was the night Manuita threw herself from the cliff.

    On his way back to the tribe, he found the body of the princess and carried her into a cave and concealed her body where he could watch over it. The cave is now known as X Cave because of the four entrances that meet in the middle. The chief accused Huraken of being responsible for the death of his daughter.

    Huraken was captured and sentenced to death. As a last request he asked to go to the site of her body one last time. He entered the cave alone and never came out. When the cave was reopened the bones of two Indian bodies, and silver artifacts were found and later lost.

        Hopkins County
  • Raven Hill Cemetery located between Madisonville, Kentucky and Earlington, Kentucky is said to be haunted. The grave yard is located on an old gravel road that rarely sees much traffic. It is said that there is an empty grave that is haunted by a blue light. This light follows people in dark that are unfortunate enough to cross its path.

    The story goes on to say that the person buried in this grave escaped and is looking for another person to take his place in the grave. There have been a few sightings of the blue light, but no recordings of a ghost attempting to push or pull anyone into an empty grave.

        Jefferson County
  • Old Louisville, reputed to be "America's Most Haunted Neighborhood," is one of the largest historic preservation districts in the country - and supposedly the largest Victorian neighborhood in the nation. It is also said to be home to dozens of haunted mansions and local ghost stories.
  • The Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Louisville is a former tuberculosis hospital that has been of strong interest with paranormal investigators, some calling it "the most haunted place on Earth". There are unconfirmed reports of more than 60,000 deaths at the site (though the real number is estimated to be about 8,000), and the property owners, workers, and investigators have claimed that at almost any time you can see strange lights, phantasms and shadows moving around the corridors and rooms of the building.

        Knox County
  • The House on Coon Branch in Knox County, Kentucky, is a reportedly haunted house in a book by Montell Lynwood Williams of the University Press of Kentucky. Residents of this house reported that they "could hear things all through the night if you were awake." These noises were things in front of the fireplace, noises the resemble work in the kitchen, stove doors opening and closing, dishes moving, and pots and pans clanging.

    Ghostly presences were felt or seen on occasion. The sounds of items falling and hitting the floor were heard but when the sound was investigate, everything was in place. Once someone left a room, those noises would occur then stop when the room was enter but continue again once vacant.
  • The Owens House in Barbourville, Knox County, Kentucky, is a Queen Anne house which was built by John Allen Owens in 1894. The house deteriorated to the point of disrepair and was torn down in 1977. The house has been reported to have many supernatural occurrences as detailed by the owners of the house and those who stayed in the house. The book has Ruth Sanders, who live in the house, describing various events that took place in the house.

    Different noises were reported such as dining room sounds or utensils on plates. Plates and knives were said to move around of their own accord. Animals avoided certain areas of the house. Animals would not stay in certain rooms for too long and even growl at nothing. The ghostly figure of a woman is reported to haunt the house.

    This woman is referred to as the Gray Lady. She is seen wearing a white dress and had a red aura surrounding her. The Gray Lady is speculated to by a sister of John Allen Owens who died young in 1901.

        Madison County
  • The Ghosts of White Hall in Madison County, owned by a man named Cassius Marcellus Clay (1810 -1903). The infamous White Hall is 11 miles north of Richmond, the original house was built in 1798 by Clay's father. Some of the paranormal activities seen in this house are things like candle lights moving around the perimeter of the house or through the house, strange sounds and smells throughout the house, foot steps in rooms that proved to be empty, on occasion people have heard violin and piano music echoing in the empty ballroom, along with some actual sightings of apparitions at the house with three ghosts, Clay himself, his former wife, and his son.

    "Very, very odd and more than a little scary"-- perfect words to describe White Hall State Historic Site.


Louisiana

  • The Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville is reportedly haunted by a slave known as Chloe. Chloe was put to death by the other slaves after she intentionally or unintentionally killed at least some members of her master's family with oleander leaves put in a cake. The other slaves possibly killed her to prevent punishment by their master. It has been called by some one of the most haunted homes in America.


Maryland

  • Chestnut Lodge in Rockville was a private facility treating mental patients for over one hundred years. Closed in 2001 and now under renovation for resale as upscale condominiums, separate recent investigations claim paranormal activity. The building was burned down in June 2009.
  • Engineered Piping Products is a Baltimore-based reseller of industrial pipe, valves and fittings. The building is located upon the site of an old residential neighborhood. All of the activity tends to happen at the site of the old Deboser home. A local paranormal group, Pasadena Paranormal, has cumulatively logged over 100 EVPs from this location.

    They have experienced buzzing sounds that fly by their heads, and recently one employee had his coat tugged from behind when he was in the building alone. This site has been submitted to the Syfy's Ghost Hunters Great American Ghost Hunt for their consideration.
  • Point Lookout Lighthouse, at the southernmost tip of Maryland's western shore of Chesapeake Bay, has seen numerous shipwrecks, bodies washed ashore, and plenty of paranormal activity, as documented over the centuries.


Massachusetts

  • The Boston Athenæum is said to be haunted by the scholarly Rev. Harris, who was seen there by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
  • The Houghton Mansion in North Adams, where North Adams' first mayor, A.C. Houghton, and his family, lived, is supposedly haunted by a cab driver who committed suicide in the basement after a car accident that led to death and tragedy for the Houghtons. It is now used as a Masonic temple. It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.
  • The Joshua Ward House in Salem is associated with the Salem witch trials. Sheriff George Corwin and witchcraft victim Giles Cory are said to haunt this place. Corwin is buried in the cellar.
  • The Lizzie Borden House in Fall River, which is now a bed and breakfast, is claimed to be the most haunted house in the USA. It is the site of a double murder, one of the most famous in US history, claimed ghost sightings and noises.


Michigan

  • Big Bay Point Light is reputedly haunted by the red-haired ghost of its first keeper, Will Prior.
  • The Regent Theater in Allegan is said to be haunted, and witnesses claim to have seen moving forms and felt physical touching.


Missouri

  • At Kemper Arena in Kansas City there are said to be sightings, sounds, and lights flickering on and off in the arena late at night from a former WWE wrestler named Owen Hart who died in 1999 by falling 78 feet (24 m) to his death from the ceiling of the arena. There are also said to be sightings of him still in his Blue Blazer suit at the top of the arena looking down with the cable hooked up to him.
  • The Lemp Mansion in St. Louis is said to be one of the most haunted buildings in the United States. Four members of the Lemp family killed themselves, three in the mansion. There are said to be apparition sightings, glasses flying off the bar, pianos playing by themselves, etc. The mansion is now open as a restaurant and bed and breakfast.


Nevada

  • Abraham Curry House in Carson City is a historic residence reportedly occupied by the spirit of its namesake builder Abraham Curry, the founding father of the city and state capital, who died in 1873 with only one dollar in his pocket.
  • Goldfield Hotel in Goldfield, Nevada. In their 2006 documentary film, Zak Bagans and Nick Groff of the Travel Channel show Ghost Adventures conducted a paranormal investigation in the Goldfield Hotel. Then in 2008, TAPS of the popular Syfy show Ghost Hunters investigated the hotel for paranormal activity, as well.

    A researcher for the Central Nevada Museum, however, notes that there are "inconsistencies" in the stories, and most apparently spread from a book written by a former owner of the property. The notoriety has not helped the hotel rehab and has led to frequent vandalism and unauthorized entry.
  • The Nevada Governor's Mansion in Carson City was first occupied by the family of Governor Denver S. Dickerson in July 1909. Guests and staff have reported seeing a woman and child on the premises, thought to be Dickerson's wife Una and daughter June, the only child to have been born in the residence.


New Hampshire

  • Huntress Hall, a dormitory at Keene State College, is supposedly haunted by its namesake, Harriet Huntress. Students often report strange noises coming from the building's attic, where Huntress' wheelchair remains to this day.
  • The Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods. Room 314 is allegedly haunted by the wife of the original owner. It has been investigated on Ghost Hunters.
  • Pine Hill Cemetery (also known as "Blood Cemetery") in Hollis is allegedly haunted by a family murdered in the 19th century. People have reported orbs, EVPs, and a mysterious little boy running out onto to the road to stop cars.


New Jersey

  • The Devil's Tree in Bernards Township is said to be one of the old headquarters of the Ku Klux Klan in New Jersey. An area surrounding the tree is said to give off unnatural warmth where snow doesn't seem to stick in the dead of winter.


New York

  • Hotel Chelsea in Manhattan is said to be haunted by multiple ghosts, including Dylan Thomas, Eugene O'Neill, and Thomas Wolfe. Former Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious supposedly haunts the elevator.
  • 122 Ocean Avenue, Amityville, New York. Based on the 1977 book, The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson. It is a supposively haunted house in the small village. It has been portrayed in several movies, such as The Amityville Horror.


North Carolina

  • Fayetteville hosts ghosts such as "The Lady in Black" who haunts the Sandford House (formerly called the Slocumb House). Her apparition first appeared in the late 19th century and has been sighted recently by members of The Woman's Club of Fayetteville.
  • Brown Mountain in Burke Co., NC is reputed to have ghostly orbs of light radiating from the mountain. The Brown Mountain Lights date back as far as the year 1200, according to local Cherokee legend. This was the year of a Great battle, and the Cherokee believed the lights to be the spirits of Indian maidens who still search for lost loved ones.

    There have also been speculations of Alien activity. Wiseman's View on Linville Mountain is the best vantage point for viewing the Brown Mountain Lights. The lookout was used by German Engineer William de Brahm in 1771 while studying the phenomenon. He attributed the lights to nitrous gases emitting from the mountain and combusting upon collision. His theories were later disproven.
  • The Carolina Theatre in Greensboro, NC was set ablaze on July 1, 1981 by a woman who was assumed mentally disturbed. Ms. Melba Frey went up to the upper balcony and started the fire, which burned the entire balcony and lobby. Her body was found in the stairway by firefighters, and she is now believed to haunt the area in which she died, flipping the folding seats up and down.
  • Lydia's Bridge is located in Jamestown, just outside of Greensboro, NC. In the early 1920s, Lydia and her date were headed home from a dance. It was a foggy night, and in a hurry to get home by Lydia's curfew, her date lost control of the car and hit the Southern Railroad Underpass Bridge head-on. Her date died on impact, but Lydia, badly injured, managed to escape the car. Trying to flag down a passing car for help, she was mistaken as a hitchhiker, and died by the roadside.

    There have been accounts of people picking up a hitchhiker in white, who says her name is Lydia. She gives an address and says she doesn't want her mother to worry and she needs to be home by curfew. Then she disappears before she reaches her destination. Lydia is also known as The Phantom Hitchhiker; The Lady in White; and The Vanishing lady.

    Lydia's Bridge is now abandoned, but U.S. Highway 70 used to run under it. Now High Point Road, it was straightened an a new underpass was built a few feet away in an effort to make the road safer.


Ohio

  • Cincinnati Music Hall is a theater that was built over a potter's field. Reports of spirits on the property date back to 1876 and continue through modern times. In 1988, during the installation of an elevator shaft, bones of adults and children were exhumed from under the hall.
  • The Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield is a defunct prison that was shut down in 1990. Now, people report cell doors slamming, yelling, physical attacks on woman, and shadow figures. It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.
  • Ohio University is known in state folklore as the most haunted college campus in the entire United States, if not the world. Established in 1804, the university is quite old by Ohio's standards, which only adds to its ghostly reputation. A large number of places on campus are said to be haunted, and numerous other popular tales are told about the university across Athens county. The British Society for Psychical Research claims that Athens, Ohio, is one of the most haunted places in the world.

    At one point, Fox also filmed an episode of its Scariest Places on Earth at the university. Many of the ghost stories associated with Athens and the University center around the former Athens Lunatic Asylum and the horrors that supposedly went on there. Two notable examples of alleged local hauntings are a statue of an angel in the cemetery on West State St., which is said to be crying, and the spirit of a civil war veteran called Michael Ward, who chants names of the university's students.
  • Prospect Place in Trinway. Satanic rituals were allegedly performed on the site, and many people were supposedly killed during its time as a stop on the underground railroad. It was investigated on the TV series Ghost Adventures.


Oregon

  • Hot Lake Hotel is a supposedly haunted hotel in eastern Oregon. The hotel is known for a fire, suicides, and hauntings from ghosts during its days as a sanatorium.


Pennsylvania

  • The Brinton Lodge in Douglassville is a reputedly haunted house. The original structure, built in the early 18th century, was a one-room building which was operated as a tavern/roadhouse stop along the Schuylkill River Canal System. It was later expanded into a summer home, then remodeled into a gentlemen's club, and today is operated as a bar and restaurant. Legend has it that at least five spirits inhabit this property, including Caleb Brinton, "Dapper Dan", an older woman, and a "lady in white".
  • In Ohioville, a mile-long stretch of Kelly Road, nicknamed Mystery Mile by former residents, is reported to be the site of supernatural activity. Animals along this road turn from docile to violent without explanation, often chasing after people and each other. The thick forest that the road cuts through is known for unexplained noises and white apparitions. The origin of these events is unknown, and speculation ranges from some kind of curse on the land to cult activity once tied to this region.
  • Pennhurst State School and Hospital in southeastern Pennsylvania is reported to have numerous accounts of paranormal activity and was featured on paranormal TV shows Ghost Adventures and Extreme Paranormal.
  • Scranton's Psychic Theater tells of "the legend of a long-ago murder victim that still haunts the 100-year-old building (1433 N. Main Avenue)... that have been featured on the Travel Channel." According to a Pennsylvania Department of Tourism Pursuit Magazine article of the top ten most haunted places, "one should be ready for a true scare...", and it is "not for the timid or weak of heart."


Rhode Island

  • Belcourt Castle, a French Renaissance-style château in Newport, is alleged to be the location of numerous paranormal phenomena and events, including moving chairs, moving armor, ghostly apparitions, a possessed statue and various other sightings.
  • In Exeter, there are a few buildings formerly known as the Ladd School, a school for the mentally disabled that was founded by Dr. Joseph H. Ladd in 1907 and officially closed in 1994. The school reportedly mistreated students, and there are stories today of ghost sightings of the children who suffered, noises, and electronic malfunctions. The Exeter Job Corps Academy was built over the Ladd School's ground, with many of the older buildings still intact and reportedly "haunted."


Texas

  • The Alamo in San Antonio is reportedly haunted by the spirits of those who died during the Battle of the Alamo. The site has been the scene of many ghostly sightings, starting shortly after the battle and continuing up to modern times.
  • Jefferson Davis Hospital in Houston has long been a popular spot for local ghost hunters. The existing building was completed in 1925, allegedly on the site of a mid-19th century cemetery, and has recently been remodeled into apartments.
  • Miss Molly's Bed & Breakfast, Fort Worth. It's rumored that every building in the legendary Stockyards of Fort Worth are haunted. But none is quite as haunted as Miss Molly's—which is considered by most to be one of the most haunted places in Texas. The hotel was built in 1910 and it's gone through several different transformations. Everything from a "speak-easy" named The Oasis during prohibition to a bordello in the 1940s named Gayatte Hotel—which was operated by a Miss Josie.

    Today the Star Café is on the bottom floor and Miss Molly's Bed & Breakfast is on the top floor. The building has been confirmed to be haunted by-way of apparitions to spirits not knowing that they're dead.
  • Presidio La Bahía in Goliad was the site of numerous conflicts before and during the Texas Revolution, including the Battle of Goliad and most notably the Goliad Massacre in 1836. Many South Texas locals have claimed that the spirits of massacred soldiers can be found on the premises, and some have even claimed that at night their cries of agony can be heard from time to time.


Vermont

  • Bennington College students in the Jennings Hall music studies facility have reported hearing voices and footsteps, particularly after dark. It was the inspiration for the Shirley Jackson novel "The Haunting of Hill House".


Virginia

  • Aquia Church in Stafford is said to be one of the most haunted churches in Virginia. Legend says that the church and the church graveyard, which has graves dating back to 1738, are both home to paranormal activity that has taken place for over 200 years.
  • Ball's Bluff in Leesburg was the site of a Civil War battle in October 1861 and is said to be haunted by those who died during the fighting here.
  • Bremo Historic District in Bremo Bluff, where a house at Bremo Recess is reportedly haunted by Anne Blaws Barraud Cocke, the wife of John Hartwell Cocke, brigadier general in the War of 1812 and builder of the plantation estate.
  • Ferry Plantation House in Virginia Beach, a colonial and plantation era house, with 11 reported ghosts, including: people who perished in an 1810 ship wreck at the ferry landing, former slave named Henry - who still considers this his home, Sally Rebecca Walke - eternally mourning the loss of a lover, former resident/artist Thomas Williamson, and the Lady in White from 1826, who reportedly died from a broken neck falling down the stairs.
  • Manassas National Battlefield Park has many reports of paranormal activity. An unfinished railroad located within the battlefield which was ordered by Robert E. Lee to be constructed during the Civil War is said to be a hot spot for paranormal activity.
  • Monticello in Charlottesville was the home of Thomas Jefferson, and employees have often heard him whistling on the grounds, as he was known to do during his living days. It has been reported that there has been seen an apparition of a 10 year old boy wearing a uniform and a tri-cornered hat peering out a 2nd floor window.
  • The Rosewell plantation in Gloucester County is a mansion constructed in 1725 that has been home to numerous accounts of paranormal activity.


Washington

  • Montgomery House Bed and Breakfast in Kalama was once a hospital, bordello, and medical clinic, built on land formerly occupied by the Cowlitz Indian Nation. The land was site to tens of thousands of Native American deaths, and full-body spectres are reported both in the establishment's back yard and within the home. This location was the subject of the 2009 feature film documentary Montgomery House: The Perfect Haunting, directed by psychic Danielle Egnew.


Washington, D.C.


        Capitol Hill
  • The United States Capitol is considered one of the most haunted buildings in Washington. The first appartion to be seen there was in the 1860s as the Capitol was being completed. Several spirits are said to haunt the Capitol due to tragedies associated with its construction. One such ghost is said to be that of a worker who died via a fall during the construction of the rotunda, and who now is occasionally seen floating beneath the dome carrying a tray of woodworking tools.

    Another spirit is allegedly a stonemason who died (crushed to death beneath a wall which collapsed, or murdered by a co-worker) seen in the Old Senate chambers or passing through a wall in the basement beneath the Senate.

        White House and the President's Park
  • The White House is the oldest building on President's Park. An integral part of the planned city that is Washington, D.C., a design was chosen and construction begun in 1792, and the building (although unfinished) was opened for occupancy on November 1, 1800. The first people to occupy the building were President John Adams and his wife, Abigail.

    Parts of the mansion were unfinished, including the cavernous East Room. With no running water (it would not be installed until 1834), water had to be brought into the house by jug and heated for bathing or laundry to be done. Abigail Adams often hung the family's laundry up to dry in the drafty East Room. The ghost of Abigail Adams has been seen since shortly after her death in 1818, arms extended as if she were still carrying laundry into the East Room, accompanied by the smell of soap or damp clothing. Household staff in the Taft administration even observed her walking through walls.

    But the White House's most famous alleged apparition is that of Abraham Lincoln. Eleanor Roosevelt never admitted to having seen Lincoln's ghost, but did say that she felt his presence repeatedly throughout the White House. Mrs. Roosevelt also said that the family dog, Fala, would sometimes bark for no reason at what she felt was Lincoln's ghost.

    Perhaps the most famous incident was in 1942 when Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands heard footsteps outside her White House bedroom and answered a knock on the door, only to see Lincoln in frock coat and top hat standing in front of her (she promptly fainted).

    One of the most recent sightings came in the early 1980s, when Tony Savoy, White House operations foreman, came into the White House and saw Lincoln sitting in a chair at the top of some stairs. Several unnamed eyewitnesses have claimed to have seen the shade of Abraham Lincoln actually lying down on the bed in the Lincoln Bedroom (which was used as a meeting room at the time of his administration), and while others have seen Lincoln sat on the edge of the bed and put his boots on.

    The most famous eyewitness to the latter was Mary Eben, Eleanor Roosevelt's secretary, who saw Lincoln pulling on his boots and ran screaming from the room.
  • Abraham Lincoln is not the only Lincoln ghost which witnesses claim to have seen in the White House. Willie Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's 11-year-old son, died in the White House of typhoid on February 20, 1862. Willie Lincoln's ghost was first seen in the White House by staff members of the Grant administration in the 1870s, but has appeared as recently as the 1960s (President Lyndon B. Johnson's college-age daughter, Lynda Bird Johnson Robb, saw the ghost and claims to have talked to him). The spirit of William Henry Harrison, it is claimed, haunts the attic, and President John Tyler allegedly haunts the Blue Oval Room.
  • First Lady Frances Folsom Cleveland, who was married to President Grover Cleveland in the White House's Blue Room in 1886, is widely claimed to haunt the room where she was married and was seen there after her death in 1947.
  • The White House is also said to be visited by three spectres who did not live there. The first is that of David Burns, who owned the ground on which the White House stands before selling it to the federal government in May 1791, and whose spirit has been seen in Oval Office. A reporter told a security guard during the Truman administration that, while standing in the Yellow Oval Room, he had heard ghostly whisperings which said, "I'm Mr. Burns."

    The second is that of a British soldier dressed in a uniform from the War of 1812 and carrying a torch. In August 1814, a combined British land and sea force captured Washington, D.C., and set fire to the White House, Treasury Building, Capitol, and other buildings in retaliation for the American looting of York, Upper Canada (now the city of Toronto) and the burning of the Parliament Buildings of Upper Canada after the Battle of York in 1813.

    The fires were put out only when a hurricane and tornado passed through Washington the following day, extinguishing the blazes. The soldier is claimed to be one of those who burned the White House, or who lost his life the following day in the storm.
  • Another shade alleged to visit the White House is the ghost of Anna Surratt, daughter of convicted Lincoln assassination co-conspirator Mary Surratt, who forced her way into the White House the night before her mother's execution and unsuccessfully begged for her mother's life. It is claimed by some White House staff that Anna's ghost returns to the White House every July 6, silently banging on the front door to seek entrance and continue her futile pleas for her mother's life.

        President's Park and nearby buildings
  • President's Park, better known as Lafayette Square, may have its own spectral resident. Philip Barton Key II was the son of Francis Scott Key and the nephew of Chief Justice Roger B. Taney. In the spring of 1858, Key began having an affair with Teresa Bagioli Sickles, the wife of his friend Daniel Sickles. On February 26, 1859, Sickles learned of the affair. The following day, he saw Key in Lafayette Square signalling to his wife.

    Sickles rushed out into the park, drew a single pistol, and shot the unarmed Key three times while the other men pleaded for his life. Key was taken into the nearby Benjamin Ogle Tayloe House and died moments later. Key's spirit, eyewitnesses and authors claim, now haunts Lafayette Square and can be seen on dark nights near the spot where he was shot.
  • Decatur House (748 Jackson Place NW) is allegedly haunted by the ghost of Stephen Decatur. In 1820, Commodore James Barron challenged Commodore Decatur to a duel over comments Decatur had made regarding Barron's conduct in the Chesapeake-Leopard Affair of 1807. The two men duelled on March 20, and Decatur was mortally wounded in the stomach.

    Decatur was rushed back to his home, and died there on March 22. A year after Decatur's death, his ghost reportedly began appearing at the house—standing in a second floor window looking out at H Street NW or leaving the back door of the house with a box of dueling pistols. So many witnesses saw the spectre of Decatur that the window was walled up.
  • Some people have also claimed that they can hear his widow, who became hysterical at his death, weeping in the house. St. John's Episcopal Church (1525 H Street NW), built in 1816, is the second-oldest structure on the President's Park. The church has a tradition of a "President's pew," which is reserved for the use of the President of the United States.

    The church's bell was purchased from the Revere Company of Boston (founded by Joseph Warren Revere, son of Paul Revere) and installed on November 30, 1822 (where it remains as of 2009). According to at least two accounts, whenever the bell tolls because of the death of a notable person, six ghostly men in white robes appear in the President's pew at midnight and then vanish.
  • The Cutts-Madison House (721 Madison Place NW), also known as the Dolley Madison House, was constructed in 1822 by Richard Cutts, brother-in-law of First Lady Dolley Madison. After ex-President James Madison died in 1836, Dolley Madison took up residency in the house and lived there until her death in 1849. Rear Admiral Charles Wilkes purchased the home in 1851.

    Wilkes moved the entrance from Madison Place NW to H Street NW, and turned the porch on the west side of the house (facing Madison Place NW) into a window. Witnesses from the mid-19th century onward have claimed to have seen the ghost of Dolley Madison rocking in a chair in the space where the porch used to be, smiling at passersby.

        Downtown
  • The Octagon House (1799 New York Avenue NW) may be the most haunted home in D.C. The home was built in 1801 by Colonel John Tayloe III. The Tayloes were a greatly distinguished Virginia family: His grandfather, Colonel John Tayloe (d. 1743), was a member of the King's Council in Virginia and owner of more than 3,000 acres (12 km2) of land (a huge estate at the time), and his father, Colonel John Tayloe II, built the historic Mount Airy manor house in 1758 and was also a member of the King's Council.

    John Tayloe III was a close friend of George Washington's, and Washington convinced Tayloe to build a winter home in the new city of Washington. There is some evidence that walled back yard of The Octagon itself may have served as a slave market, and it is well-established that the rear of the building housed the Tayloe family's slaves.

    The Tayloe family was exceptionally well-connected, and their home was an important one in the city. After the burning of the White House in the War of 1812, President James and Dolley Madison lived there from September 1814 to October 1815, and Madison signed Treaty of Ghent (which ended the war) there in February 1815.

    Apparitions and the presence of otherworldly forces have been seen and felt in many places at The Octagon, including on the spiral staircase, the second floor landing, the third floor landing, the third floor bedroom, and the garden area in the rear. Among the eyewitnesses have been members of the public and curators and other employees hired by the museum which owns the house. Two of Colonel Tayloe's daughters are said to haunt The Octagon.

    The first allegedly died before the War of 1812. Colonel Tayloe and his daughter quarrelled on the second floor landing over the girl's relationship with a British officer stationed in the city. When the daughter turned in anger to go down the stairs, she fell down the stairs (or over the railing; stories differ) and died.

    Her spectre is alleged to be seen crumpled at the bottom of the steps or on the stairs near the second floor landing, and sometimes exhibits itself as the light of a candle moving up the staircase. The other death, stories claim occurred in 1817 or shortly thereafter.

    Another of Colonel Tayloe's daughters eloped with a young man, incurring her father's wrath. When she returned home to reconcile with her father, they argued on the third floor landing. This daughter, too, fell to her death down the stairs (or over the railing), and her shade is alleged to haunt the third floor landing and stairs between the second and third floors.

    The Octagon is also believed by some to be haunted by the spirits of African American slaves who once lived there. When the house held bells to summon servants, the spirits of the dead slaves would announce their presence by ringing these bells loudly.

    The ghostly bell ringing first occurred in the 1870s. General George D. Ramsay, Chief of Ordnance for the United States Army and commander of the Washington Arsenal in Washington, D.C., was attending a dinner at The Octagon when all the bells in the house began ringing. As Marian Gouverneur, wife of Samuel Laurence Gouverneur, Jr. (the first American consul in Foo Chow, China), related the story, General Ramsay seized the bell ropes to stop the bells from sounding, but to everyone's shock they did not stop ringing.

    Although Gouverneur's report was not made until 1911, the mysterious ringing of the bells had been reported in 1874 and again in 1889, each time attributed to the spirits of dead slaves. Other spirits are also said to remain at The Octagon as well. Dolley Madison's spirit has been seen near the fireplace in the main ballroom as well as heading through a closed door to the garden, and her ghost's presence is accompanied by the smell of lilacs (her favorite flower).

    A slave girl in the house was allegedly thrown from the third floor landing to the first floor below and killed by a British soldier during the War of 1812, and eyewitnesses have reported hearing her scream. The spectre of a British soldier in War of 1812 dress seen by caretaker James Cypress in the 1950s, and superintendent Alric H. Clay claims that in the 1960s spirits would often turn on the lights and open The Octagon's doors late at night.

    A gambler shot to death in the home's third floor bedroom in the late 19th century is sometimes seen still in the bed he died in, and ghostly footmen have been seen at the front door waiting to receive guests. Various witnesses have also reported hearing assorted moans, screams, and footsteps.
  • The spirits of slaves are also said to haunt a portion of Independence Avenue SW, the site of two of the city's largest and most notorious slave markets. The Yellow House or Williams Slave Pen (at about 800 Independence Avenue SW, now the site of the headquarters of the Federal Aviation Administration) was the most notorious slave pen in the capital: A modest, well-maintained, two-story yellow home concealed a very large basement in which slaves were chained to walls in windowless rooms, while a 30 square feet (2.8 m2) yard surrounded by a 12-foot (3.7 m) high brick wall provided space for the training and selling of slaves.
  • Another large slave market, the Robey Slave Pen, was just a block away at the corner of 7th Street SW and Independence Avenue SW. On dark nights, witnesses say they have heard the clinking of chains and screams on Independence Avenue where these slave pens used to operate.
  • The intersection of 7th Street NW and H Street NW is the heart of D.C.'s Chinatown neighborhood today, but prior to the 1930s it was populated primarily by German immigrants. Prior to the American Civil War, 7th Street NW was the city's primary commercial district, the street lined with three-story Federal-style townhouses with shops on the ground floor and residences above.
  • Mary Surrat's boarding house (604 H Street NW) has been substantially renovated through the years and currently houses a Chinese restaurant), but it may also house Mary Surratt's ghost. From the 1870s onward, occupants of the building have claimed that Surratt's spirit is responsible for the incomprehensible mumbling and whispers, footsteps, muffled sobs, and creaking floorboards which have unnerved them. At least three other sites in downtown D.C. may also be haunted.
  • The National Theatre (1321 Pennsylvania Avenue NW) opened at its current location on December 7, 1835, although the old building was torn down and replaced with the current structure in 1923. Nonetheless, some claim the theater is haunted by the ghost of actor John McCullough, who was murdered in the 1880s by a fellow thespian where the modern stage is located today.

    The spook was first sighted by Frederic Bond, a comic actor and friend of McCullough's, in September 1896. Bond was on the stage late at night reviewing preparations for the next day's performance when he felt a spectral presence that terrified him. He then saw a ghostly figure dressed in the traditional garb of the Shakespearean character Hamlet. Recognizing the spirit, he shouted McCullough's name and the ghost vanished.
  • The National Building Museum (401 F Street NW), too, may be haunted. Built in 1887 in order to process pensions for Civil War veterans, widows, and orphans (such pensions consumed a quarter of the federal budget at the time), the "Pension Building" (as it was originally known) contains 15 Corinthian columns made of brick and plaster and painted to imitate black onyx.

    Security guards and other witnesses have claimed that the swirling colors of the columns can change to form the outlines of people who have recently died, or who had ties to the building. When in use as the headquarters of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia in the 1940s, night watchmen reported seeing a man on horseback on the upper floors, where horses use to be quartered during the Civil War, and the ghost of James Tanner, a stenographer who took down the testimony of eyewitnesses after the assassination of President Lincoln at Ford's Theater (ironically, Robert Todd Lincoln approved the plans for the Pension Building).

    These stories gained such prominence that mystery writer Margaret Truman mentioned them in one of her novels.
  • The Hay–Adams Hotel may also be host to the ghost of Marian "Clover" Hooper Adams. She was the wife of Henry Brooks Adams, the celebrated 19th century American journalist, historian, academic and novelist who was the grandson of John Quincy Adams. She married Henry Adams on June 27, 1872, and in 1877 the couple moved to Washington, D.C., and rented the Slidell House at 1607 H Street NW. became a salon for the capital's literati and politically powerful.

    In 1881, the Adamses purchased a lot on the northwest corner of 16th Street NW and H Street NW on Lafayette Square, on with their friend John Hay began building the famous Hay-Adams Houses—two of the most architecturally important private residences ever built in the city. Marian Adams' beloved father, to whom she was exceptionally close, died on April 13, 1885, and she sank into a deep depression.

    Just months before she was to occupy her spacious and luxurious new home, however, Adams committed suicide on December 6, 1885, by swallowing potassium cyanide. To mark her grave in Rock Creek Cemetery, Henry Adams commissioned sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens and architect Stanford White to create the haunting Adams Memorial with its hooded, robed, androgynous figure formally titled Mystery of the Hereafter and The Peace of God that Passeth Understanding but which is commonly called Grief.

    The Hay-Adams Houses were razed in 1927 by real estate developer Harry Wardman, and the Hay-Adams Hotel built on the site. Although Marian Adams never lived in the house where the Hay-Adams Hotel is today, some hotel staff say her spectre haunts the site. Housekeepers and other staff have reported being hugged by an invisible presence as well as hearing a woman sobbing.

    Other mysterious occurrences attributed to the Adams spectre include locked doors opening and closing, clock radios turning on and off, and a woman's voice whispering, "What do you want?" A few witnesses say the ghost is accompanied by the scent of mimosa, Adams' favorite scent. The incidents are located primarily on the hotel's fourth floor, and occur usually during the first two weeks of December (near the anniversary of Marian Adams' death).

        Dupont Circle
  • One of the most important buildings in the Dupont Circle neighborhood is the Walsh Mansion (now the Embassy of Indonesia) located at 2020 Massachusetts Avenue NW. Thomas J. Walsh had emigrated penniless from Ireland to the United States in 1869, then over the next quarter century built up a small fortune as a carpenter, miner, and hotel manager. His first daughter (born in 1880) died in infancy, but his daughter, Evalyn (born in 1886), and son, Vinson (born in 1888) both survived.

    He lost nearly all his life's savings in the Panic of 1893. The family moved to Ouray, Colorado, in 1896, where Walsh bought the Camp Bird Mine (which was thought to have been worked out), and then struck a massive vein of gold and silver. Now a multi-millionaire, Thomas Walsh moved his family to Washington, D.C., in 1898.

    After spending 1899-1900 in Paris, France, the Walshes returned to Washington where Thomas Walsh commenced the construction of a mansion on Massachusetts Avenue NW. The Walsh Mansion, completed in 1903, cost $835,000 (the most expensive residence in the city at the time) and had 60 rooms, a theater, a ballroom, a French salon, a grand staircase, and $2 million in furnishings which took several years to purchase and install.

    Evalyn Walsh married Edward Beale "Ned" McLean (the publishing heir whose family owned The Washington Post) in 1908, and after her father's death in April 1910 lived in the Walsh Mansion. In 1910, Ned McLean bought the allegedly cursed Hope Diamond for his wife for $180,000 (although the purchase was not formalized until February 1911, and not completed until after a lawsuit which was settled out of court in 1912). Evalyn Walsh died on April 26, 1947.

    To cover Evalyn's significant debts, the Walsh Mansion was sold in 1952 to the Government of Indonesia for use as an embassy. But according to embassy staff, Evalyn Walsh McLean never vacated the home. Rather, her spirit has been seen several times gliding down the mansion's grand central staircase.
  • A second noted home in the Dupont Circle neighborhood which is claimed to be haunted it the Woodrow Wilson House (2340 S Street NW). Woodrow Wilson was elected President of the United States in 1912, was re-elected in 1916 promising to keep the nation out of war, led the nation through World War I, left office in 1921.

    At 2 AM on September 26, 1919, while traveling to Wichita, Kansas, on a nationwide speaking tour to win public support to pressure the Senate into ratifying the Treaty of Versailles, Wilson collapsed and, after cancelling the rest of his speaking tour, was rushed back to the capital by train.

    His condition worsened on the journey, and upon arriving at the White House on October 2 the President suffered a life-threatening stroke that left him permanently paralyzed on his left side and blind in the left eye. Although the President lived, he was confined to bed for two months, seen only by his wife, a few close associates, and his physicians.

    From December 1919 to April 1920 Wilson required a wheelchair. Wilson attended his first Cabinet meeting in April 1920, but for the rest of the year his mind continued to wander, his memory was marred, and he tired easily. By March 1921 (when he left office) Wilson was able to walk short distances with the use of a cane (and with a valet close at hand).

    The extent of Wilson's disability was kept from the public until after his death on February 3, 1924. President and Mrs. Wilson purchased a large home at 2340 S Street NW, to which a number of modifications were made (including the addition of an elevator). Woodrow Wilson received few guests in his last years, and died in his third floor bedroom there on February 3, 1924.

    His wife, Edith Bolling Galt Wilson, lived in the home until her death on December 28, 1961, and her will left the home to the National Trust for Historic Preservation to be made into a museum honoring her husband. In the decades since her death, staff and visitors at the Woodrow Wilson House claim to have seen the President's ghost sitting in his rocking chair, heard the shuffle of a man walking with a cane, and heard a man sob.

        Georgetown
  • General Edward Braddock left Observatory Hill in Georgetown in 1755 on an expedition to capture the French Fort Duquesne during the French and Indian War. Braddock's expedition was surprised on July 9 in the vicinity of present-day Braddock, Pennsylvania, in what is now known as the Battle of the Monongahela. Nearly 900 of Braddock's 1,300 men were killed or wounded, and Braddock himself killed.

    Since before the American Civil War, witnesses say that on the anniversary of Braddock's departure they can hear shouted military orders, horses' hooves on cobblstones, the sound of men marching, and the sound of metal clanking against metal. The sounds can be heard near the old Long Bridge or near the Georgetown bluffs overlooking the Potomac River.
  • Halcyon House (3400 Prospect Street NW) is a 30,000-square-foot (2,800 m2) mansion originally built in 1787 by Benjamin Stoddert, the first Secretary of the Navy. Halcyon House was owned by several individuals in the 19th century, and is alleged to have served as part of the Underground Railroad.

    The home was sold in 1900 to Albert Clemens, a nephew of Mark Twain. The original structure was heavily altered over the next 38 years. Clemens believed that perpetually rebuilding the house would extend his life. The coach house was joined to the building, apartments added to the north face and rear, rooms built within rooms, hallways added and then walled off, and even a small crypt added in one room.

    Clemens died in 1938. Halcyon House is allegedly haunted by the spirits of numerous runaway slaves who died there during their escape to freedom, and whose moans and cries can be heard in the basement. Others claim that the ghost of Benjamin Stoddert has been seen, heard walking through the house, sitting in a chair, or whispering unintelligibly.

    Two residents say they have experienced levitation during the night. Unnamed residents have told about lights mysteriously going out and sounds in the attic.
  • The Old Stone House (3051 M Street NW) was built in 1765 by Christopher and Rachel Layman. The house was sold in 1767 to a wealthy widow, Cassandra Chew, who constructed a kitchen in the rear in 1767, and a second floor between 1767 and 1775, and a third floor in the 1790s. It remained in private hands for almost two centuries, used as a home and place of business, until the federal government purchased it in 1953 .

    An exceptionally large number of spirits, residents and visitors claim, inhabit the small house. These include: A woman in a brown dress standing near the fireplace, a heavy-set woman standing on the staircase and also in the kitchen, a man with long blond hair and wearing a blue jacket, a man wearing short pants and long stockings, a woman in a rocking chair on the third floor, a small boy who runs down the third floor hallway, a man dressed in Colonial-era clothing standing in the master bedroom, a man dressed in Colonial-era clothing seen on the second floor, a young girl with curly hair running up and down the staircase, an African American boy, and a German-looking craftsman.

    The laughter of invisible children and the translucent images of women cooking in the kitchen have also been observed. The Old Stone House may also contain one of Washington's only malevolent spirits, nicknamed "George," who has choked and pushed visitors and whose presence (often indicated by an extremely cold spot) leaves witnesses with an intense feeling of dread.

    The hauntings at the Old Stone House are so well-known that they were mentioned in Sandi Wilson's short crime story, "The Blonde in Black."
  • Bridges in Georgetown may also be the sites of ghostly activity. Two spectres are said to haunt the site of the M Street bridge. M Street NW was known on the Georgetown side as "Bridge Street" before the street renaming of 1895. In 1788, a wooden drawbridge was built over Rock Creek to connect Bridge Street with M Street NW in Washington. But the bridge collapsed during a rain storm shortly after it was built, taking a stagecoach full of passengers with it.

    Federal Bridge, a sturdier structure, was built over Rock Creek in 1802. However, from the early 19th century to the early 20th century, Georgetown residents claimed to see a silent stagecoach race down Bridge Street on starless nights, and then disappear in the center of the new span. Another apparition said to haunt the bridge was that of a drummer boy who allegedly had been knocked off the bridge (during the American Revolutionary War or in the early 19th century after the bridge had been rebuilt) by a gust of wind and drowned in Rock Creek.

    On quiet nights, witnesses claimed to hear soft drumming which got louder near the center of the span but disappeared once the spot where the boy drowned was reached. The image of a headless man (whose origins are shrouded in mystery) is said to sometimes haunt the Georgetown side of the K Street NW bridge over Rock Creek as well.
        
        Uptown
  • Another spirit reportedly haunts the Omni Shoreham Hotel (2500 Calvert Street NW). Built in 1930 by local construction company owner Harry Bralove and designed by Waddy Butler Wood, the hotel's owners accepted Henry L. Doherty as a minority financial partner. Doherty and his family moved into an apartment (now Suite 870) in the hotel, along with their maid, Juliette Brown. A few months after the Dohertys moved into the apartment, their maid died in the night.

    A short time later, the Doherty's daughter, Helen, also died in the suite. The Dohertys moved out, and the apartment remained unoccupied for almost 50 years. The apartment was renovated into a hotel suite. But guests and hotel staff began to tell stories of faint voices, cold breezes, doors slamming shut and opening of their own accord, and televisions and lights turning on and off on their own.

    Guests in adjoining suites would complain of noises coming from the closed and empty Suite 870. Other occupants say furniture would be found out of place, and hotel staff said their housekeeping carts would move on their own. Todd Scartozzi, an Omni Hotels manager, stayed in the Ghost Suite with his family and observed a walk-in closet light turning on and off and its own accord. The Omni Shoreham Hotel has named the room the "Ghost Suite."


West Virginia

  • The Blennerhassett Hotel in Parkersburg is a grand hotel that was built in the late 19th century and is reported to be haunted by several ghosts.
  • Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County has been reported to be haunted by ghosts.
  • The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston is purported by its owners and visitors to be haunted by the spirits of patients who died there. Ghost Adventures did a live event on October 30, 2009, where they performed an over-night paranormal investigation on the Travel Channel.
  • The West Virginia State Penitentiary in Moundsville was built in 1867 and has been called one of the "most haunted places in America."

Note: This list is not complete and will probably never be fully complete due to the nature of the paranormal field. This list attempts to identify the paranormal hot spots throughout the world from alleged sightings, reports and stories. Much of the information within this list has been taken from wikipedia.