Ghosts of Ettington Park Hotel
|Ghosts of Ettington Park Hotel
Here at Ettington Park hotel they've lost count of how many times this book has mysteriously fallen from its shelf. It's always to be found open at the very same page. Many people feel that there is something in this hotel and sightings of a "grey lady" have been witnessed by many.
It is claimed that this "grey lady" is a ghost of a maid who was pushed down the stairs by the lady of the house and broke her back. Many human tragedies have plagued this hotel that has stood for over 1000 years which include two Victorian children who drowned in a river nearby as well.
|Ettington is a village in Warwickshire,
England. It is located eight kilometres south-east of Stratford upon
Avon and is less than a mile west of the Fosse Way.
According to the 2001 UK Census, the parish has a population of 953, most of whom live in the village.
The name Ettington is derived from the Old English
language words Ea meaning water and Don meaning ascending ground or
meadow, thus ascending ground or meadow near a river.
The river in question could either be the River Stour or the River Dene,
both of which run nearby.
Throughout history the village has had
several names, including Eatenden, Upper & Lower Eatington, and
Eatington. The latter is still used sometimes by locals as well as by
Microsoft Auto Route.
It is likely there was a Roman encampment close to the site of the
current village, and there was definitely an Anglo Saxon settlement.
of the oldest buildings still in existence is a Quaker meeting house
that dates back to 1684.
The manor house, which can trace its origins
back to the Domesday Book, is now the Ettington Park Hotel owned by Hand
Picked Hotels, and was featured in the 1963 film The Haunting.
Ettington Park Hotel is itself renowned as being haunted,
and was investigated for the first ever time by Midlands' Ghost Hunt
Company 'Eerie Evenings' on October 31st, 2009.
station was opened on July 1st, 1873 and was situated on the Broom to
Fenny Compton line.
The station was closed in 1963 due to the Beeching Axe,
and the line itself was closed two years later.
The famous composer and
organist William Croft was born in Ettington and was baptised in the
parish church of the Holy Trinity and St. Thomas of Canterbury. There is
a Church of England primary school in the village.
The Ettington Park Hotel is owned by Hand Picked Hotels, and was featured in the 1963 film 'The Haunting'.
This Hotel is believed to be haunted by a spirit named the 'grey lady' who was a maid that was pushed down the stairs by the lady of the house.
Many tragedies are associated with this Hotel which include two Victorian children who drowned in a nearby river.