Castillo de San Marcos
Ghost Adventures



St. Augustine, Florida
Castillo de San Marcos (Ghost Adventures) - The Ghost Adventures team travels to St. Augustine, FL, to investigate Castillo de San Marcos. The fort was built in the 1600s by Spanish settlers, and its dark history includes inquisitions, sieges, massacres and starvation.

The Castillo de San Marcos is the oldest masonry fort in the United States located in the city of St. Augustine, Florida. Construction was begun on the fort in 1672 by the Spanish when Florida was a Spanish possession.

During the twenty year period of British occupation from 1763 until 1784, the fort was renamed Fort St. Mark , and after Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821 the fort was again renamed to Fort Marion, in honor of revolutionary war hero Francis Marion. In 1942 the original name of Castillo de San Marcos was restored by Congress.

The European city of St. Augustine was founded by admiral Pedro Menéndez de Avilés for the Spanish Crown in 1565 on a site of a former Native American village. Over the next one hundred years, the Spanish built nine wooden forts for the defense of the town in various locations.

Following the 1668 attack of the English pirate Robert Searle, Mariana Queen Regent of Spain, approved the construction of a masonry fortification to protect the city.


The Castillo is a masonry star fort made of a stone called coquina, Spanish for "little shells", made of ancient shells that have bonded together to form a type of stone similar to limestone.

It is theorized that limestone has the ability to help produce paranormal activity within its area due to possible frequencies.

This type of paranormal activity usually is a residual-type haunting (recording) but it can manifest an intelligent-haunting as well.



The Castillo is a masonry star fort made of a stone called coquina, Spanish for "little shells", made of ancient shells that have bonded together to form a type of stone similar to limestone.

Workers were brought in from Havana, Cuba, to construct the fort in addition to Native American laborers.

The coquina was quarried from Anastasia Island in what is today Anastasia State Park across Matanzas Bay from the Castillo, and ferried across to the construction site. Construction began on October 2nd, 1672 and lasted twenty-three years, being completed in 1695.