|It is believed to be one of the
most haunted hotels in the country. This famous inn is owned by and the
home to John Humphries.
It has been owned by many people since 1145 to
present date. Many people lived here either as a tenant or over night
guests. This inn was said to have also been owned by the local St.
Mary's Church when first built.
Built in around 1145 over a 5000 year old pagan
burial ground, The Ancient Ram Inn is the oldest building in
Wotton-Under-Edge. No wonder this building is a National Treasure.
Life at the Ram started in
the early 11th century but not much is known before 1145. From 1145
it was a Church House for an unknown period.
The time between 1145 and
1350 is a little speculative but the known facts are; Predominantly a
Church House, Housed Masons for constructing the near-by St. Mary's
Church and possibly housed Slaves and/or children for the same purpose.
In 1350 The Ram (not know
by that name yet) was bought by Maurice De Bathe. Tenants Peter Le Couk
and his wife Margaret resided there for an unknown period. The
property stayed in the name of Maurice De Bathe for 171 years.
changed hands frequently from here right up to 1968 where the current
owner John Humphries now resides along side many uninvited guests. Most
of which are previous owners or visitors!
From 1350 to 1820 it was
known mostly as "Tan House" or "The Tan House" but records show the
name "The Old Sun" crop up a few times but details of when it may have
been known as this so far remains unknown. From 1820 onwards the Ram
was Brewery Property with various Brewers and Landlords.