Win64 Pan Installer
Pan Newsreader for Windows
Windows Pan Installer by Steve Davies
Pan Newsreader for Windows - Installer Build
This page contains a (hopefully recent, but unofficial) build of the Pan NNTP Newsreader (see http://pan.rebelbase.com) packaged in a simple windows installer. The installer includes the main executable, a handful of libraries, including the spellchecker .dll files, and the localisation/language files and puts a shortcut on the desktop.
With Many Thanks to:
Advanced Installer: For providing a free "for open-source" licence to their Windows Installer product for use with the Pan project. Check them out at http://www.advancedinstaller.com/ - I can personally recommend this product having used it commercially a few years ago, and now for Pan.
The Pan developers and contributors: All of those people on the mailing list who answer all of those questions and provide us will this excellent software.
All of these builds can be considered "Experimental" - Good luck :)
Mar 2019 (0.146.git)
- 64-bit 0.146 release pan-0.146.306.msi - This version is a latest GIT build as of 2019-02-01 (approx)
- Rebuild with latest available mingw /Win64 libraries.
- Significantly better language localisation thanks to Bruno for his help testing my many false starts...
- Possible issue with display panes going black after heavy usage - Not sure if this is a Windows or GTK2 issue?
Apr 2018 (0.144)
- 64-bit 0.144 release pan-0.144.305.msi - This version is a latest GIT build as of 2018-04-03
Nov 2017 (0.142)
- 64-bit 0.142 release pan-0.142.304.msi - This version is a latest GIT build as of 2017-11-28 (+ Fixes browser launcher)
Version 0.141 has arrived - See the main Pan website at http://pan.rebelbase.com for full details and change logs.
May 2017 (0.141)
- 64-bit 0.141 release pan-0.141.303.msi - This version is a latest GIT build as of 2017-05-01 (+ Fixes JPEG/TIFF loaders)
- 64-bit 0.141 release pan-0.141.302.msi - This version is a latest GIT build as of 2017-04-25 (+ Fixes empty date column)
- 64-bit 0.141 release pan-0.141.301.msi - This version is a latest GIT build as of 2017-02-07
Note: All necessary run-time files come with this install. the gtk2-runtime is no longer needed (in theory). This is a 64-bit only build, and will not install on 32-bit systems.
Release notes are on the pan.rebelbase.com website.
Dictionaries for many languages can be downloaded here:
Comments and requests to: me or to the Pan mailing list.
January 2017 (0.141)
- Latest 0.141 release pan-0.141.218.msi
March 2016 (0.140)
- Latest 0.140 release + 2016-03-15 GIT updates
All installers are now available from Google Docs here.
GTK+ runtime libraries must be installed already for the Pan 32-bit build to work at the time of publishing, these could be downloaded here:
The latest report is that "gtk2-runtime-2.24.8-2011-12-03.exe" works reliably if the compatibility libs option is chosen during install. GTK Themes also seem to be working fine, and can be downloaded from the same site.
Dictionary support for "ispell" and "myspell" dictionaries is built-in using 'gtkspell' and 'enchant' for the best possible compatibility. Two sample dictionaries have been packaged (US and UK English) as examples.