Home‎ > ‎

Cities and Towns

Incorporated Towns, Cities and Villages in Palm Beach County

Click here to see a county map with all cities marked

Town/CityIncorporatedComments
City of
Atlantis
City Website
1959834-acre development was formerly known as Mulberry Farms and owned by former State Senator Philip D. Lewis, who formed the Mission Company to raise Brahman cattle. In 1958, Nathan Hunt and Paul Kintz purchased this 828-acre ranch and the remaining two parcels along Lantana Road and developed the town.
City of
Belle Glade
City Website
1928Originally known as Hillsboro. The Hillsboro Community Council was formed in 1919 and operated as the town's governing body until its incorporation.
City of
Boca Raton
City Website
1925 The construction of the Florida East Coast Canal (today's Intracoastal) and the Florida East Coast Railway in the 1890s made the region accessible to a group of resourceful pioneers. By the early 1900s Boca Raton was a tiny agricultural community, many of the farmers specializing in pineapple cultivation. Amongst these were a group of Japanese immigrants under the leadership of Joseph Sakai, who formed a community along today's Yamato Road in 1904.
City of
Boynton Beach
City Website
1920In 1894 a former Civil War major from Port Huron, Michigan named Nathan S. Boynton visited the area that would become Boynton Beach. He returned a year later with a group of colonists. In 1931 Boynton (west of Intracoastal) and Boynton Beach (east of Intracoastal) become two separate municipalities. In 1941 Boynton changed its name to Boynton Beach. (The old Boynton Beach became Ocean Ridge in 1939). Boynton Beach remained fairly unknown until the end of World War Two when soldiers returning from the war began to settle in the area. Since that time the city has experienced continues growth.
Town of
Briny Breezes
Town Website
1963 A mobile home park property was incorporated as the Town of Briny Breezes.
Town of
Cloud Lake
Wikipedia for Cloud Lake
 A famous war chief of the Seminole Indians during the Second Seminole War of the 1840s was Yaholoochee or "Cloud." In the 1940s when Kenyon Riddle developed a sub-division there, he excavated about five acres and named the resultant lake, Cloud Lake, after the warrior.
City of
Delray Beach
More on cities history
  A small group of Michigan settlers, led by William Linton and David Swinton began settling in the area in 1894.
Town of
Glen Ridge
 Glen Ridge is just over 1/2KM in size and home to about 100 families.
Village of
Golf
  The same men who previously established Golf, Illinois, founded the Village of Golf. These men were obviously very interested in the game of golf.
City of
Greenacres
City Website
1926Founded in 1923 by Lawrence Carter Swain. During the 1920s Palm Beach was booming, but there were few homes available for the middle class. Mr. Swain began buying up land which was divided into housing plats. Known as the "Town of Greenacres City" until September of 1980.
Town of
Gulf Stream
Wikipedia
  The town derived its name from its proximity to the Gulf Stream, which flows nearest the Florida mainland in this area. State Road A1A through Gulf Stream is one of the earliest, most scenic and most important north-south highways in Palm Beach County and was officially opened in 1916 in this area. In the 1920s, Australian pines were planted on both sides of the road in South Florida, up to the freeze line, to act as a windbreak. Being a fast growing species, a canopy over A1A soon developed, adding greatly to the beauty, charm and character of the area. This canopy has been destroyed with the exception of that remaining in Gulf Stream.
Town of
Haverhill
Town Website
1950 An early settler named the town after his home state's Haverhill, north of Boston.
Town of
Highland Beach
Town Website
1949Part of unincorporated Palm Beach County prior to 1949. Most growth occurred after the Flager railroad was built.
Hillsboro See Belle Glade
Town of
Hypoluxo
Town Website
1955 The US Government formally established the Hypoluxo Post Office in 1886, hiring Andrew Garnett (a Kentucky farmer who had settled in the area a year earlier) as postmaster.
Town of
Juno BeachTown Website
1953When Dade County was formed the small Village of  Juno was the county seat.
Town of
Jupiter
Jupiter History Web
1925 Because Jupiter protrudes further out into the Atlantic Ocean than any other point along the Florida coast the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse was built in the 1800s. The land that is now Lighthouse Park was once a part of Fort Jupiter, a military installation that was formed during the Seminole Indian Wars.
Town of
Jupiter Inlet Colony
Town Website
  The Jupiter Inlet colony was established by Charles Martyn in 1955. The tiny Colony and an un-incorporated stretch of Palm Beach County occupy Jupiter Islands southern end. The Jupiter Inlet Colony is home to just under 500 people, some of whom live there year-round.
Kelsey City See Lake Park
Town of
Lake Clarke Shores
Town Website
1957Settled in the early1900s (Officially founded in 1957). John Clarke, son of a Palm Beach pioneer, bought five acres of land just south of the present Hillcrest Cemetery on Parker Avenue. There he planted pineapples and built a packinghouse to prepare the fruit for shipping to northern cities. By 1915, Clarke, like most others, abandoned his crop. He named the lake on the western edge of his land "Lake Clarke". After the draining of the Everglades (about 1917) the lake became a marsh. In the early 1930s Zeb Vance Hooker bought land on the southeast end of the lake and built a shack - becoming the first resident of Lake Clarke Shores. A few other families bought land in the area (the Patrick family (1936), Patsy Reynolds, Robert Oen, Joseph Langford) but it wasn't until 1949, when local attorney Walter Travers bought up land around the lake, dredged it, and lobbied that a bridge be built across the canal, that the community began to grow. By 1956 there were 150 registered voters in "Lake Clarke Isles".
Town of
Lake Park
Town Website
1923Chartered as Kelsey City, officially renamed as the Town of Lake Park in 1939.
City of
Lake Worth
City Website
1913Platted in January, 1912 as the Town of Lucerne, lots of land in the town were given away free to those who bought a 5-10 acre tract of land in Greenacres City. The area of the giveaway lots became so popular that a post office became necessary. There was another "Lucerne" in Florida, so the founders changed the name to Lake Worth.
Town of
Lantana
Town Website
1921The first settlers came to the area after Congress passed the Armed Occupation Act of 1842 at the end of the during the Administration of President John Tyler. The M.B. Lyman family is credited with founding the Town. Lyman arrived with his family in 1888 and within a year started several enterprises including a general store, Indian Trading Post and a post office. As postmaster, Lyman named the post office - Lantana Point - for the wild Lantana plant that grew in abundance in the area. The word Point was later dropped.
Lucerne  See Lake Worth
Town of
Manalapan
Town Website
1931Manalapan has 321 residents who enjoy the solitude and seclusion of living on a barrier island surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Florida Intracoastal Waterway. It is located south of the West Palm Beach metropolitan area. First recorded in history in 1889 when President Benjamin Harrison granted George H. K. Carter a homestead on the yet unnamed land, the sparsely populated settlement was incorporated in 1931 by Commodore Harold Vanderbilt with the granting of a charter to the “Town of Manalapan”.
Town of
Mangonia Park
Town Website
1894The original Mangonia (incorporated in 1894) was absorbed by West Palm Beach. The present town is located about two miles to the northwest of the original town.
Village of
North Palm Beach
1956Incorporated in 1956, the city of North Palm Beach was awarded the Best Planned Community in the U.S. designation in 1957 by the National Association of Homebuilders. The Village is comprised of about 13,000 year round residents and an additional 5,000 seasonal residents arriving during the winter months.
Town of
Ocean Ridge
Town Website
1931 In 1877 the Dexter Hubel family from Michigan had the only homesite in what we know now as Ocean Ridge. New settlers began arriving in large numbers in 1885, mostly from the midwest. Prior to 1931 the Town of Boynton included what we now know as Boynton Beach, Ocean Ridge, Briny Breezes. In 1931 Boynton (west of Intracoastal) and Boynton Beach (east of Intracoastal) become two separate municipalities. The Town of Boynton Beach was renamed Ocean Beach in 1939. (In 1941 the Town of Boynton changed its name to Boynton Beach.).
City of
Pahokee
1922On February 28, 1915, the area’s first farmer, L.W. Armstrong, D.D.S., came to Pahokee. The opening of the West Palm Beach Canal and the freeze of February 3, 1917, resulted in more farmers moving into the area of Pahokee. Much of the land was either owned by the State of Florida or the Southern States Land and Timber Company (SSLTC). Both of these landowners allowed farmers to develop and farm the land without requiring them to purchase it or pay rent. A celery grower from Sanford, named B.A. Howard, fixed the location of Pahokee (named after the Seminole name for the Everglades Pahhayokee) and brought 397 acres from the SSLTC to establish the Pahokee Realty Company. Dr. William H. Lair, who arrived in Pahokee in 1917.
Town of
Palm Beach
Town Website
1911In 1893 millionaire Henry M. Flagler and his second wife honeymooned in St. Augustine. Impressed with the beauty and history of the area, he envisioned an "American Riviera". Flagler's agents soon were buying acres of land on the island of Palm Beach. Many early homesteaders found themselves very wealthy, as orders had been given to buy "at any price". Ground was broken May 1, 1893 and on February 11, 1894, the Royal Poinciana Hotel, the largest wood structure in the world, opened in Palm Beach. On April 17, 1911, a meeting of the town's thirty-five registered and qualified voters was held at the Palm Beach Hotel for the purpose of incorporating the Town of Palm Beach.
City of
Palm Beach Gardens
City Website
1959Developed by multimillionaire insurance magnate and landowner John D. MacArthur 1959-1964.
Town of
Palm Beach Shores
(Singer Island)
Town Website
1951The first recorded settlement on Singer Island was Inlet City in 1906. Inlet City was a spontaneous community of fishermen and squatters. Little or no development occurred until 1949 when the Blue Heron bridge was built. A.O. Edwards, a rail road builder, bought 240 acres on the island and began development of the island.
Village of
Palm Springs
1938Palm Springs covers 1.6 square miles, 700 acres of which was once a dairy farm.
City of
Rivera Beach
City Website
1922In the early 1880s Frank L. Dimick bought (but did not homestead) 80 acres in the area that would become Rivera Beach. He sold the land in 1882 to Judge Allen E. Heyser who built the Oak Lawn Hotel. The area became a popular winter resort and for its first few years was known as Oak Lawn. The first post office was established in 1889 under the name of Oak Lawn. In 1893 Oak Lawn became Riviera. In 1910 Charles Newcomb, a wealthy manufacturer from Iowa, purchased about 200 acres of land and the Riveria town site was laid out. In 1941 the town changes its name to Riviera Beach.
Villiage of
Royal Palm Beach
Village Website
1959 An 11 square mile villiage known for its parklands.
City of
South Bay
1941 Agriculture began in this area after the Everglades drainage projects of 1906 and 1927. In 1917, South Bay supported at most about one dozen families, most of which were farmers. They cleared the custard apple woods to build their homes or simply lived on boats moored in the canals.
Town of
South Palm Beach
1955 South Palm Beach is approximately 5/8th of a mile long and is bounded by the Town of Palm Beach to the north and the Town of Lantana to the south.
Village of
Royal Palm Beach
1959 The Village encompasses 11 square miles
Village of
Tequesta
Villiage Website
1957 Charles Martyn (the founder of Jupiter Inlet Colony) also developed land west of the Intracostal and named the development the Village of Tequesta.
Village of
Wellington
Villiage Website
1995Acme Improvement District incorporated as the Village of Wellington on December 31, 1995, and held its first elections for council members in March 1996
City of
West Palm Beach
City Website
1894 In 1880, Irving R. Henry from North Carolina, homesteaded 130 acres of land which he purchased for $1.00 an acre. Captain O. S. Porter purchased the land from Henry and then sold it to Henry Morrison Flagler, the founder of Standard Oil and the Florida East Coast Railroad, for $30,000 dollars.

Subpages (1): Cities and Map
Comments