The age of coal swamps
The Pennsylvanian is in the Carboniferous Period, occurring after the Mississippian and before the Permian Period.
- Eon: Phanerozoic
- Era: Paleozoic
- Period: Carboniferous
- Age: 323.2–298.9 Ma
- Moscovian: 315.2±0.2–307.0±0.2 Ma
- Bashkirian: 323.2±0.4–315.2±0.2 Ma
Above: Pennsylvanian forest from China
What happened during this time?
- Emergent layer of tree club-mosses, such as Sigillaria
- Dominant trees are Noeggerathians or Cordaites
- Abundant Marattialean tree ferns
- Sphenophyllophytes in the under-story
- Origin of the Conifers, Pentoxylales, and Vojnovskyales
- First insects with folded wings (~320 Ma) and complete metamorphosis (~310 Ma)