- Once a car is weighed and checked in Scouts and Scout parents may not add additional wheel lubrication. All wheel lubrication must be completed before cars are checked in.
- Once a car passes inspection and is entered into the race, only race committee members can touch the car.
- Each car will race on all three track lanes. The car with the fastest cumulative time (adding all three track runs) is the winner in each Rank.
- The top three finishers in each Rank will receive a trophy. There will not be a final run-off between winners from each den.
- Racers should adhere to official Pinewood Derby Rules provided below !!!
- The top three fastest finishers from each den will have the opportunity to participate in the Light House District PWD Finals. Please review the District rules when designing your car to make certain it follows both the Pack and District guidelines. (LH District PWD Finals and Rules information).
Pinewood Derby Rules:
must be mounted in the original slots cut into the pine block. Only the wheels and nails (axles) that come with the kit are allowed. The wheelbase
may NOT be extended.
bearings, washers, and bushings are not
“wafering” of the wheels is allowed. They may be sanded smooth and trued. Wheel treads cannot be rounded, h-grooved or v-grooved.
CANNOT be grooved however they can be de-burred,
straightened and polished.
oil, grease or silicone spray may be used on the axles or wheels. This could soften the plastic used in the wheels. Graphite lube may be used and is recommended.
body width may not exceed 2-3/4 inches.
Minimum width between the wheels is 1-3/4 inches.
body length may not exceed 7 inches.
Front edge of car may NOT extend past starting pin on track.
clearance to the bottom of the car must be 3/8 of an inch.
of the assembled car may not exceed 5.00 ounces (141.75 grams), no exceptions.
loose materials of any kind are permitted on the car.
11) THE CARS WILL BE CONSTRUCTED BY THE CUB
SCOUT with guidance from an adult family member or pal. (Remember, this is supposed to be a hands- on learning experience for our cub scouts)
which do not meet the minimum requirements, will be returned to their owners at
registration and corrections may be made to bring the car up to spec. A repair
area will be available. Cars that are damaged during the race may also be
repaired. No other adjustments may be made to the cars once the registration
committee has accepted them.
cars from hobby shops, websites, etc. are NOT allowed
must be newly built this year. Cars from previous year races are not eligible.
Derby Committee will mediate all disputes. Their decision will be final.