Ozbirn’s Fall Exam Review 2012
1. Vocabulary Units 1-6 (stress marks, parts of speech, definitions, synonyms, antonyms, completing the sentences) (8-37, 183-196)
2. The Cask of the Amontillado, The Most Dangerous Game, Blues, Lady, The Leap, Shattered, Interlopers, Scarlet Ibis, Gift of the Magi, Bass/River/Sheila Mant, Rules of the Game, (38-137)
· Context clues
· Sequence of events
· Pronoun case
· Perfect tenses
· Active and passive voice
· authors (197-201)
3. Jane Eyre (plot, characters, setting) (160-169)
4. Fahrenheit 451 (characters and plot) (1-7, 170-182, 210-217)
5. Identify misplaced and dangling modifiers, degrees of comparison, good and bad versus well and badly
Part Two: The Sieve and the Sand
1. Find these words in the text and write the sentence or phrase in which the word appears, followed by the page number in parentheses. Then, on a new line, write a definition in your own words. If you are uncertain about the definition, use a dictionary.
1. In the beginning of Part Two, Montag remembers Clarisse. Why do the two books remind him of Clarisse?
2. What is waiting outside Montag’s door? Why?
3. Describe the flashback of Montag meeting the old man. Why does he remember this incident? Why do you think he saved the old man’s name for so long?
4. Explain Montag’s memory of the sand dune. Why do you think the title of this part of the novel is named “The Sieve and the Sand”?
5. What is the significance of Montag’s trip on the underground train? What commercial interrupts his thoughts? Why does it appear as if he argues with the commercial? What aspect of this society is he arguing against?
6. Why does Montag tell Faber that his wife is “dying”?
7. How is Christ portrayed in this society? Why?
8. Faber lists three things that are missing from society. What are they?
9. According to Faber, why are books hated and feared?
10. What is Montag and Faber’s “plan”?
11. Why does Montag say “Can you help me in any way tonight, with the Fire Captain? I need an umbrella to keep off the rain. I’m so damned afraid I’ll drown if he gets me again”? What do you think he means?
12. What did Faber invent? Why?
13. Who are Mrs. Phelps and Mrs. Bowles? What do you think about their reactions to their husbands going off to war?
14. How does this society feel about children and motherhood?
15. Montag reads a poem called "Dover Beach." How do the women react after Montag reads the poem?
16. Why do you think Montag feels that he has to wash his hands twice while the firemen play poker?
17. What do you think Beatty means when he says “the sheep returns to the fold”?
18. Why do you think Beatty keeps quoting texts from which he has read?
19. Where do the firemen go at the end of this section?
20. Why do you think the firemen are suddenly called?