Minutes of last meeting

                                  OXTON PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 12th September 2017

AT OXTON VILLAGE HALL

Present: Cllr Richard Cross (Vice Chair), Cllr Nick Borrett, Cllr Margaret Cooper, Cllr Paul Davies and Cllr Mark Tomlinson. Cllr Roger Jackson attended for part of the meeting. Mrs. Karen Birks (Clerk).

 

Lin Jacobs, an Oxton resident, raised two issues. Firstly a number of events have been held on the field over the summer which have generated high noise levels and disturbed local residents and Mrs Jacobs asked the Parish Council to ensure the field is used appropriately when permission is given for events to take place. Secondly, the state of the road on Oxton Hill and the ditches at the side of this road are poor and this may exacerbate the flood risk unless they are dealt with.

 

1.  APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Mark Foxwell and Cllr Jan Sablitzky.

 

2.  DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

There were no declarations of interest.

 

3.  MINUTES

The minutes of the meeting held on 11th July 2017 were accepted as a true record and signed by Cllr Cross.

 

4.  MATTERS ARISING

 

- Oxton Cricket Club has confirmed that the plan is to take down and remove the old pavilion. This will happen after the issues with the storage unit and its location are sorted.

 

- Oxton was not successful in the second round of the Best Kept Village Competition. The clerk will obtain the judges comments when these available.

 

- Rachael Rickell, the area rights of way officer, has agreed to erect a ‘Footpath only no right of way for horse riders’ sign on the Windmill Hill footpath. This will be done as part of a signposting contract when sufficient signs throughout the area are ready to be ordered.

 

- New signs have been erected on Elmcroft to replace the old broken ones.

 

- Training has taken place in the use of the defibrillators. It was unclear who in the village has the code to open the cabinet for the defibrillators and the clerk agreed to find out further information.

 

5.  HIGHWAYS

    

-    The clerk has previously made two requests to N&SDC to sweep Oxton Hill to remove the debris which has collected at the edge of the road but the District Council has not carried out this work. Cllr Jackson suggested that the clerk contact Andy Statham, the director with responsibility for this area, and request that he ensures the work is done.

    

-    Mike Keeling, Senior Highways Liaison Officer at Via, is investigating the addition of a Oxton nameplate sign on Blind Lane.

-    The clerk will request that Notts County Council clear out the gullies on Oxton Hill.

-    A 50mh speed limit is being proposed on the B6383 between Southwell and Oxton.

 

6.    COMMUNICATIONS

 

-    Planning permission has been granted for the extension and replacement of roof tiles at 2 Orchard Court.

-    N&SDC are to hold a Parish Council Event on 16th June at the new council offices on Great North Road in Newark and delegates will have the opportunity to participate in a tour of the building. This event will replace the previously held Annual Parish Conference.

-    The NALC AGM will take place on 15th November at Epperstone Village Hall. The speaker will be the Chief Constable of Nottinghamshire Police.

-    Following a recommendation from NALC the clerk has applied for funding for a laptop from the Government Transparency Fund. This fund, which will cease in March 2018, exists to enable all Parish Councils with a turnover below £25,000 to fully comply with the mandatory Transparency Code and provides funding for councils to purchase a laptop and/or set up a website to ease the burden of compliance. It is recommended that every Parish Council owns its own laptop and does not rely on the use of the clerk’s personal computer.

-    Oxton Cricket Club has requested that the gate to the recreation field is opened 12pm to 4pm on the 21st and 28th October for materials to be brought to the bonfire site. The Parish Council agreed to this request and will arrange for a keyholder to open and close the gate on these dates.

-    An Oxton resident, Michelle Mean, has requested permission to plant daffodil bulbs at locations throughout the village. The Parish Council agreed that the preferred location would be at the base of the brick wall along Main Street adjacent to the village hall. Councillors will check whether there are already any bulbs in this position before giving permission.

7.  FINANCE

i)                    Payments

           The following payments were authorised:

Karen Birks                             Clerks Salary July and August                        £524.68

Karen Birks                             Clerks expenses July and August                   £41.46

            Ulyett landscapes                    Grass cutting in July and August                    £665.20

            Mick Brett                               Handyman work Invoices 16 and 19              £168.80

                                                                                                                                    ______

                                                                                                                        Total    £1400.14

 

 

ii) Financial Report for July and August 2017

The Clerk reported a current account balance at the end of August of £7337.07 with no outstanding cheques. Payments for July/August were £978.56 and receipts £564.59. The accounts were reconciled accordingly.

The ‘theoretical balance’ of the current account and the village plan fund was shown on the July/August reconciliation sheet as £5268.48 and £3468.73 respectively.

 

8.    RECREATION

-                 Bird deterrent strips have been placed along the top of both sets of swings to prevent birds roosting there and fouling the equipment.

-    The gates to the toddler play area are not closing automatically. The clerk will request that the handyman adjusts the springs.

       -    Cllr Davis will chase Playdale to get a date for replacement and fitting of the relevant faulty pieces of timber. This will be at no cost to the Parish Council.

 

9.    RISK AND RESILIENCE

 

-  Cllr Borrett is continuing to ensure the whole flood relief channel is cleared out before the winter. Many sections have already been cleared but work still remains to be done on the sections near the Bridge Inn and the culvert entrance on Sandy Lane near the entrance to the Flood Relief Channel.

-  The sluice gate is still not operating remotely but Cllr Borrett continues to ensure it is opened manually when necessary.

-  The emergency flood plan is awaiting formal approval from Cllr Sablitzky.

- In response to the issue raised by Mrs Jacobs, Cllr Cross agreed to flail the bullrushes growing in the watercourse on the B6386 near Blind Lane.

 

10.  PLANNING APPLICATION FOR STORAGE CONTAINER ON RECREATION FIELD. Application number 17/01242/FUL

 

Following a lengthy discussion the Parish Council agreed to support the planning application for the storage container to be moved from its current location to the side of the new pavilion and surrounded by wood to match the existing pavilion. The vote to support was carried by 3 votes for and 2 against.

The Parish Council has concerns regarding the amount of old and broken equipment, the dilapidated shed and general untidiness on the cricket club site and these concerns will be flagged up with the planners and discussed at a future Parish Council meeting.

 

11.  OXTON COMPOSTING FACILITY – COMMUNITY LIAISON GROUP

Following the recent planning approval to make improvements at the existing composting facility, a liaison group is being formed to discuss issues relevant to the operation of the site and its effect on the environment and local people living or working nearby. It will endeavour to foresee and overcome problems and strive to minimise conflict between the operation of the site and the closest residents and businesses. The following groups will be invited -  Local Planning Authority, Environment Agency, Landowner, Comb’s Farm, Select Caravans, off Rob Lane and Oxton Parish Council. The group will meet at least twice a year. Cllr Cooper agreed to attend the meetings as the representative of the Parish Council.

12. PROPOSAL TO CUT BACK GRASS ENCROACHING ON MAIN ROAD FOOTPATH

       Notts County Council have inspected the area and advised the Parish Council that there is little additional footway to be gained and will not add this to the list of jobs until the situation worsens. Ulyett Landscapes have quoted £600 to edge the footpath along Main Street and remove the waste from site. Mick Brett, the handyman, will cut back the edges of the path for approximately £400 on the understanding that Cllr Cross is able to remove the waste material. It was agreed to request that the handyman carries out the work over the winter.

13.  PROPOSAL TO PURCHASE AND AGREE LOCATION OF ADDITIONAL DOG WASTE BIN

 

       It was agreed to purchase a green dog waste bin at a cost of £152 to be located at the point where Hatfield Lane, the Oxton bypass and the footpath meet.

 

      

 

14.  ACTION AGAINST AGGRESSIVE AND POORLY CONTROLLED DOGS

 

       An incident has been reported to the Parish Council involving a serious attack on a dog on Windmill Hill by another dog which was reported as off the lead, aggressive and out of control. The matter has been reported to the police and the clerk has put a notice in the Dover Beck and on the website to advise local residents of the incident and request that anyone with further information contact the police directly. Concerns regarding dogs being walked in Oxton without appropriate control have been raised previously. In this case insufficient evidence of the aggressive dog or its owner is available for the District Council to consider imposing fines or prosecution. Andrew Weaver, the Dog Warden, has advised that ‘Dogs Must Be on a Lead’ signs can only be erected by the District Council if a Public Space Protection Order is in place and that these orders are only likely to be granted for a defined or enclosed space. The Parish Council agreed to monitor the situation going forward.

 

15.  FOOTPATH WALKS LEAFLET

       This was deferred to the October meeting.

      

16.  ANY OTHER MATTERS FOR REPORT OR FUTURE DISCUSSION

 

In response to the complaints about the noise level associated with some events the Parish Council agreed to consider making it a condition of use of the field that music would not be allowed outside during the evening and/or to set a specific decibel limit for music. This will be discussed further at the October meeting together with the possibility of charging for use of the field in some circumstances.

 

Cllr Davis agreed to take on the role of monitoring the grass cutting by the contractor around the village and reporting back at future meetings. Concerns were raised about the standard and frequency of grass cutting. Consideration will be given to including collection of grass cuttings or mulching when the new grass cutting contract is agreed for next year.  

 

Cllr Davis noted that the grass area on Elmcroft is referred to in the lease as an area of landscaped land and not a village green and should not be described as a green in discussions.

 

 

     

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 9:40pm

 

Chairman                                                                     Date

 

 

 

………………………………….