My father sits in the dark
Questions for discussion
• What does the narrator find frustrating and upsetting about his father’s behaviour?
• According to the narrator at the end of the story, what could be occupying the father’s thoughts?
• What is the tone or feeling in the last line of the story
• What are the devices used in the story? What are the effects of the devices on the story?
• The themes and significance of the story
1. The setting:
- The Jewish tradition has survived centuries of struggle
2. Characters: Jewish people
- The son (the narrator)
- The father (ordinary person)
3. Literary devices
- Series of dialogues à informal atmosphere, communication of the son
- Repeated structure or sentences à emphasize the son’s concern and worry
- Simple language à Easy to understand
- The contrast between the dark and the light à create the theme of the story
4. The feeling and the attitude of the father
- Nostalgia feeling
- Tranquil and assured attitude
- The role of memories and the past
- The certain difference among generations (the young and the old)
à Significance: Give the experiences of life from the old to the young in order to create better understanding between the old and the young
American literature >