Earth Day was Last Week, So I decided to Do a little something. I had bought a bunch of Solar of Solar cells that arrived on the day after Earth Day 2008. The solar cells are going to be another project all together, as I am thinking of a way to mount them and water proof them.
Anyway, I wanted to make a wind generator. We dont exactly get a lot of wind, but we do get breezes and such around 10 to 15 mph. Ive decided to go with a single phase generator since Its the first time Im doing this and I dont want to over complicate things.
The generator itself with be made from wire I got from a microwave oven transformer and the magnets Ive collected from taking them apart. Simple, yet Im putting Old Microwaves people threw out to good use.
Heres what Ive found so far:
Currently, with a 200T (+/-10T) Coil, I am getting 1.5V Out @100mA :). Early Prototypes have gotten .5v @.5mA out. This testing was done at 600 RPM, as slow as the drill press can go.
Since I am going with single phase, I am going to use 4 Magnets, which means I have to use 4 Coils. To get anything Useful out, I am going to need 12V, or 3V Per Coil. So, To get that output, I should have to double my turns from 200T to 400T. Woo! A whole 2.4W Then. Current will probably be limited because of internal resistance.
I am thinking of doing a bunch of 200T Coil in between the main 4 and then hooking them up all in series, this should eliminate dead spots and still produce single phase power.