History

Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church was built in 1914 and used as a schoolhouse until the mid-1920’s. It was then that the new highway went through and the students began riding the school bus 12 miles to Two Harbors.

 

The building was then moved about a mile and a half towards Two Harbors where it stood for many years just below its present location.  For nearly thirty years it was used as a farmers club and home to many 4-H meetings.

 

In 1950 a church group that had been meeting in homes for years saw a new use for the building.  Again the structure was uprooted and moved, though this time only a short distance to its new foundation.  The necessary changes were made to convert the building into a church.  It has been a comfortable home to Our Saviour's Lutheran Church since then.

 

Still, despite the changes, something of the old schoolhouse atmosphere lingered. Gothic arches and crosses were added to the windows, along with shutters for evening services. Through the late 1990’s and early 2000’s, the congregation made many upgrades to the building. Handicap access to the sanctuary, new front doors, signage, paved parking area and landscaping on the outside, with new ceiling, lighting and side windows added to the interior.

 

Dedicated on October 21, 2001, the congregation commissioned and had built the stained glass window gracing the sanctuary today.

 

In the Spring and Summer of 2013, in addition to carpeting the Fellowship area and Narthex, members undertook a complete remodel of the kitchen and bathrooms.

 

Much of the planning, design and labor to complete the aforementioned improvements was done by members and friends of Our Saviour's Lutheran Church donating their time and talents.   

 


Comments