THURLOW: FOURTH GENERATION

Robert Thurley and Mary Ann Woods of Cambridgeshire, England

Generation 4

Robert Thurley was born c1802 in Conington, CAM, to John and Ann (Ward) Thurley. Details of his baptism continue to remain elusive and unconfirmed despite countless hours of searching. When Robert married Mary Ann Woods on 11 October 1829, both bride and groom were recorded as being 'of this parish', a reference to Milton, CAM that suggests Robert had moved away from Conington. Notably, his signature on the marriage record appears as 'Thurley'. Robert was buried on 6 January 1875, aged 72.

His widow, Mary, being the daughter of John and Susanna Woods was born in Milton, CAM and baptised on 22 July 1810. In her widowed years she resided for a time with her son Robert, his wife Harriet, and their two children at 17 Eden Street, Cambridge. By 1891 Mary was living with another son, James and his wife at 13 Springfield Street, Chesterton, Cambridge and then 19 Trinity Place (off King Street), Cambridge in 1901.

The ancestral line includes the various surname spellings mentioned in the introductory page and seemed to have been interchangeable at varying times. Almost certainly names would have been recorded by church officials based on what they thought to have heard and as many of our ancestors were illiterate, they would not have known how to spell their names correctly.


Milton village c1900. (Courtesy county library)


https://sites.google.com/site/ourfamilysitegroup/Home/thurlow/thurlow-fourth-generation/cambsctypre1975.jpg?attredirects=0
Map of Cambridgeshire County before Huntingdonshire was added.
Click on map to enlarge.

Milton parish, where Robert and Mary resided, was described in the 1851 census as:
  • ... in Cambridge and contains 1378 acres. Soil rich and productive and there is but a small quantity of fen land in the parish.
  • The principal landowners are John Percy Baumgartner Esq., and the Rev John Chapman, rector.
  • Milton is situated 3½ miles north from Cambridge and 10 miles south-west from Ely. Church is dedicated to All Saints.
  • Other statistics: population at 1801 - 273; 1831 - 377; 1841 - 452; 1851 - 544.Milton parish includes Rectory, Manor House and Manor Farm. 
  • Comprising the whole parish which lies north-east of Turnpike Road from Ely to Cambridge and includes the High Street, Bull Lane, Church Lane, Fen End and the Rectory Farm, also the Rail Road House and Baitsbite Sluice House next to the River Cam.
  • Houses: inhabited 118; uninhabited 4; buildings 0 (total 122). Persons 245 M; 299 F (total 544). Estimated number of persons temporarily present: 3 M; 15 F (total 18). Estimated number of persons temporarily present: 3 M; 15 F (total 18).

Subpages (10): THURLOW: FIRST THREE GENERATIONS
THURLOW: 5th GENERATION
THURLEY-COLE, JANE : 6th GENERATION
THURLEY-WIGG, SARAH : 6th GENERATION
THURLOW, JOHN : 6th GENERATION
THURLOW, WILLIAM : 6th GENERATION
Thurlows at St Bathans, Central Otago, NZ
THURLOW: NZ PRESS ARCHIVES
Comments