Researched and Donated by Anza Bast

(member of the Genealogy Club of Osceola County)

Transcriber's Note: As you may know, Bullard served in the unit that captured Jeff Davis, was the last surviving member of that unit (at the time just prior to his death) & Bullard also claimed reward for the capture (according to his military record info given by a descendant). Bullard was also elected Dept. Commander of the GAR at the 1915 encampment in Jacksonville. (J. B. Westocott was elected Chaplain & J. I. Cummings - Adjutant & Quartermaster General at that same encampment.)

Source: ST. CLOUD TRIBUNE, April, 1, 1920


Named on the Council of Administration, Department
of Florida, at the Encampment here this week.

Member of L. L. Mitchell Post, No. 34, Department of Florida,
Grand Army of the Republic, and was Commander in 1914.
Was Senior Vice Department Commander of Florida for 1914;
Department Commander in 1915; Chief of Staff for 1916,
Department of Florida, and was installing officer of his Post.

Source: ST. CLOUD TRIBUNE, April, 1, 1915, pg. 11



St. Cloud, Fla., Jan. 18, 1915

Col. John McElroy,
Washington, D. C.
Dear Sir: -
        In response to your request of some time ago I will give you a history of the capture of Jeff Davis.
        On the evening of May 7th, the 4th Michigan Cavalry, under command of Col. B. D. Pritchard, left Macon, Ga., with 419 men and 20 officers. We marched all night until 8 o'clock in the morning of the 8th, when we halted for five hours and rested, got breakfast and fed our horses, moving on again at 1 p. m. We marched 15 miles further and went in camp for the night three miles from Hawkinsville. At 4 a. m. of the 9th we moved out on the Abbeville road and reached that place at 3 p. m. and learned that 12 wagons and 2 ambulances had crossed the Ocmulgee river at Browns Ferry, one and a half miles above Abbeville, about 12 o'clock, and were moving in the direction of Irwinsville. At the forks in the road at Abbeville we met Colonel Harnden, of the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry with 70 men, and by mutual agreement Col. Harnden took the road to Irwinsville and Col. Pritchard the road to the Ocmulgee river, where he was to guard the ford, picket the river and scout the country. Before reaching the river we learned more about the party that had crossed the river and Col. Pritchard detailed 128 men and 7 officers and moved down the river to a point known as Wilson's Mills, a distance of 12 miles, thence by a blind road through an unbroken waste of pine forest in a southwesterly direction, 18 miles to Irwinsville, which we reached about 1 o'clock in the morning of May 10th. Here we learned from the inhabitants that a party answering the description of the one reported at Abbeville was camped about one and a half miles out on the Abbeville road, so we marched out there under the guidance of a negro. After getting within a short distance of camp we halted and waited for the moon to get down, and just at break of day Col. Pritchard dismounted a part of his cavalry and sent them on ahead, following on after them with his mounted cavalry. George Munger, of Company C and myself were with the mounted men, and on the extreme right, after entering the camp. Munger and myself came up against their horse line, and as we had not very good mounts, I said to Munger: "Suppose you and I stop and trade horses." He said "alright." We therefore stopped and picked out what in our judgment were the best in the bunch and proceeded to saddle them.
        Munger had got his horse saddled and had mounted and we saw what we supposed were three women leaving the camp. Munger said: "There go some women out of camp; they ought to be stopped; you ride out and stop them." I said: "You go; you are mounted and I will come as soon as I buckle my girth." But before he had got to them I had mounted and got there just as he halted them, but before either of us got to them we saw that one of them had on cavalry boots and spurs. One of them turned around and said: "My mother and I are going to the well for water." Munger says: "What is your mother doing with cavalry boots on?" At that Davis threw off the shawl and water-proof that he had been wearing, and Mrs. Davis put her arms around his neck and said: "Please don't shoot him.: And Davis said: "Let him shoot, I may as well died here as anywhere."
        About that time Agent Dickinson and a number of others came up and the agent took them in charge. Soon after that the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, under command of Col. Harnden came up and passed through the camp, and that was the last I ever saw of them. They left us to guard Davis back to Macon, and we were nearly one hundred miles from our lines, but we got him there alright, and turned him over to General Wilson.
        On May 13th, Col. Pritchard, with three officers and twenty men stared with Davis and party for Fortress Monroe, Munger and myself being part of the guard. We went to Atlanta, Ga., thence to Augusta, Ga., and from there down the river to Savannah, thence to Hilton Head, where we were transferred to the Ocean steamer William Clyde and started for Fortress Monroe, under the escort of the United States man of war Tuscarora. We arrived off Fortress Monroe on May 9th [sic], just 9 days after the capture. While at Fortress Monroe Col. Pritchard was ordered to procure from Mrs. Davis the shawl and waterproof that Davis wore at the time of his capture, and she gave them to him. Munger and myself gave our testimony before Secretary Stanton in Washington, D. C.. Then we got furlough home. While at Paw Paw, Mich., the rest of the troop discharged at Nashville, Tenn., and we went to Detroit and were discharged and paid off there, so the last duty done by us was guarding Jeff. Davis.
        The names of the captured were: Jefferson Davis, his wife and four children; John H. Reagan, his postmaster general; Colonels Johnson and Lubbock, A. D. C.'s to Davis. Burton N. Harrison, Davis' private secretary; Major Maurand, Capt. Moody, Lieut. Hathaway, Jeff D. Howell, midshipmen in the Southern navy and 13 private soldiers; Miss Maggie Howell, sister to Mrs. Davis; two waiting maids (one white and one colored) and several servants.
        We also captured 5 negroes, 3 ambulances, fifteen horses and 25 or 30 mules. The train was mostly loaded with commissary stores and with private luggage of the party.
        There are many who claim to have been present at the capture of Jeff Davis, but none outside of the Fourth Michigan Cavalry took any part in the capture, and had not Colonel Pritchard taken the course he did Davis would surely have made his escape for the 1st Wisconsin were following in his rear and went into camp about one mile from Davis' camp where he had his horse saddled ready to fly at the first alarm, and he had men patrolling the road in that direction, but he was not looking for an attack from the front.
        While the Wisconsin regiment and company of Ohio infantry received the same reward that we did, it was an injustice to the 4th Michigan Cavalry, especially to that part of the regiment that was left to guard the Ocmulgee river, who were nearer the place of capture than were the men who were back at Hawkinsville. If they were entitled to any of the reward because they were watching for him then all the army of the Cumberland were entitled to it because they were all watching for him, but they gave the reward to the 4th Michigan Cavalry, to those who were actually present at the capture. When without the help of those who were left to guard the river and look after our pack mules it would have been impossible for us to have made the capture.
        I could give you more of the details but think this will cover the ground and if any one doubts the truthfulness of this statement I can furnish the proof of the whole affair.

Yours in F. C. & L.,
Sen. Vice Cmndr., Dept. Fla.

Source: ST. CLOUD TRIBUNE, 20 Jul 1916

Comrade Bullard Hale at the 72nd Milestone

        On Thursday, July 13th, a jolly party gathered at the home of Comrade J. F. Bullard, it being the occasion of his seventy-second birthday, and at the same time the anniversary of his wedding. All present enjoyed the day immensely, as Comrade Bullard has a beautiful home, with many shady cool nooks, where one can sit round under the umbrella trees on grass softer than a velvet carpet. Brother Bullard's house fronts on the lake, where one can see across it for from six to twelve miles. We saw the excursion boat Maud, crowded with passengers, about three miles off shore, and many smaller boats with pleasure-seekers taking advantage of the Thursday half-holiday.
        All present enjoyed every minute of thier stay, some playing croquet on the lawn, some singing and having other amusements. Mrs. Bullard, with her assistants, served an ample supply of delicious refreshments.
        Mr. Bullard is Past Commander of this great State of florida, and also had the honor to be on eof the guards who guarded Jeff Davis and assisted in the capture of the Confederate President.
        This jolly crowd returned to their homes with lighter hearts, hoping to meet Brother Bullard again annually until he attains his one hundredth anniversary and the writer of this expects to be present, for one. All declared it was a day to be long remembered. One Who Was There.

Source: ST. CLOUD TRIBUNE, August 17, 1916, front pg.


Were Thrown From Buggy When Horse Got Tangled In Rope Stretched Across Street
        J. F. Bullard and Mrs. Kendelleiter had a narrow escape from serious injury Monday evening at 7:30 o'clock when they were thrown from a buggy near the corner of Eighth Street and Kentucky Avenue, while driving into the business section of the city.
        The horse driven to a buggy by Mr. Bullard became entangled in a rope that had been stretched across the street by another horse that had been tied by the side of the street, and the Bullard horse stopped suddenly, pitching Mr. Bullard over the dashboard and under the horse's feet. The animal then backed the buggy sideway, throwing Mrs. Kendelleiter to the ground, and damaging the buggy, which was completely overturned. Due to the fact that Mr. Bullard's horse was very gentle and stopped as soon as called to, Mr. Bullard escaped with no greater injury than a bruised shoulder, caused from striking the ground, while Mrs. Kendelleiter suffered a sprained ankle.
        Mr. Bullard took the horse that caused the accident to the city pound, and the owner called and paid the costs and settled with Mr. Bullard for the damage to the buggy. Mr. Bullard says there has been two or three persons who have violated city ordinances by permitting animals to graze along the streets of the city, and that accidents are likely to occur in the same manner if the practice is not stopped.



Copyright 2007  Anza Bast

Donated to the Genealogy Club of Osceola County for posting on their website