Importance of a charming and confident smile
A smile can enrich our own lives and the lives of people with whom we interact. It is the most natural and most effective exercise for the face. The secret for success and popularity in life is a warm, intimate smile, which breaks the hardest attitudes and evokes the most immediate response.
Everyone knows the importance of a smile. Smiles are
instinctive, a universal sign of friendliness that even newborns recognize. An
attractive smile goes a long way in getting you what you land a job, and find
love. Yet too often, our teeth deny us the benefits of a beautiful smile. They
ruin our looks through discoloration, overlapping, crowding, gaps and chips. At
times the gums are very prominent and show too much. At times, the jaw itself
will be deformed contributing to an unacceptable profile. Fortunately, through
cosmetic dentistry, orthognathic surgery (dento-facial esthetic surgery) and other
allied procedures, all of these problems can now be corrected.
In order to beautify a smile, it has to be first recorded, and then, assessed and analyzed.
* In a slight smile with your teeth parted, do the tips of your teeth show?
* When you smile slightly does your smile line appear in a shallow U-Shape i.e. are your front
two teeth slightly longer than your other teeth ?
* Do you have spaces between your front teeth?
* Do your front teeth protrude or stick out?
* Are your front teeth crowded or overlapping?
* Are you happy with the color of your teeth? Do you have stains on you teeth ?
* Do your front teeth have fillings whose shade does not match the natural tooth color?
* Do your front teeth look abnormal in shape or size?
* Do the necks of your teeth indicate erosion or ditched in 'V' that can be seen or felt with your
* Are your gums pink and 'knife edged' or are they red and swollen?
* Is your mouth free of decay or gum disease that can cause bad breath?
* Do you find it difficult to close your lips in rest position?
* Do you have a “gummy” smile?
* Do you have inability to bite into foodstuffs and chew them properly?
If you think you have
any of the above-mentioned findings, it would be better for you to
consult a dental professional. He will be able to assist you to achieve
a wonderful smile, which you desire.
• Eight out of ten believe that an unattractive smile makes a person less appealing to the opposite sex.
Smile DesigningSmile designing procedures are essential for smiles that are defective, unappealing or ugly. The defects may lie in the color or shape of the teeth. Defects or excessive visibility of the supporting gums can also contribute to ugly smiles. Defective alignment of teeth & / or defective shapes of the jaws (eg. Protruded or retruded jaw contours etc.) are other factors contributing to un-esthetic smiles. Therefore, smile designing procedures encompass a wide area of treatment procedures ranging from basic cosmetic dentistry procedures to highly complex surgeries on the facial skeleton to correct jaw deformities.
The smile designing procedures can be classified under the following categories: