Open Hearth After School is in its fourth successful year, providing care, support, and enrichment to the children of the Mad River Valley.
Dear Waitsfield and Fayston Families,
I hope this newsletter finds you safely returned from a fun February vacation. Our after school program spent the snowy and chilly month of February with some great indoor and outdoor activities.
A Feast for the Senses
Jessica Bachand worked with friends at Umiak to contribute enough snowshoes for a day of tracking the meadow. The snow and weather conditions were perfect for the activity and explorers both small and large made some wonderful discoveries about the nature which surrounds us in the heart of winter.
Food for the Soul
Samantha Streletsky used her artistic expertise to teach a series of lessons on use of water colors. The mountain and ski lift watercolors painted by her students are truly works of art.
Recognizing the importance of teaching good nutrition while enjoying the fun of cooking, we launched a Thursday Cooking Club, which will continue into the spring. Students ranging from kindergarten through sixth grade practiced culinary skills while enjoying the fruits of their labors. We already have great interest for our next round of cooking club.
After School Survey Results
I want to thank everyone who took time from their busy schedules to complete our After School Survey. The survey participants reflected an almost even split between those who currently use the program and those who would like to receive more information concerning our after school program.
Here are some of the survey results.
What are your expectations for children during the times they are enrolled in the program? Check all that apply.
- Supervision 95.5%
- Participate in Program Activities 88.9%
- Have a Healthy Snack 86.7%
- Have Time to do Homework 71.1%
Do you feel your afterschool care expectations are being met?
When survey participants were asked if their expectations were being met, 85% answered “yes” and the remaining 15% answered “sometimes”. Individual responses encouraged our program to continue striving to meet the needs of all participants and work towards creating programs for our older students.
Would you recommend the Afterschool program to other families?
Everyone who completed this question answered “yes”.
While I feel our after school program is certainly heading in the right direction, my staff and I pay close attention to the comments and suggestions we receive from both the Waitsfield and Fayston school communities. Our goal is to make our after school program the very best it can be!
The bills for after school have gone out, and payment was due on the first of the month. Please feel free to contact Lauré Murphy at email@example.com with any billing questions you may have. You may also contact our Treasurer, Deb Loomis, with any issues related to billing or scheduling.
Several families are taking advantage of online banking to have checks mailed to Afterschool, which is great. When you set up Open Hearth at WES as a payee, please use this address: P.O. Box 1471, Waitsfield, VT 05673. Thanks!
The Open Hearth After School Steering Committee is seeking new members. We meet on the second Tuesday of each month in the WES library at 5:45PM. We welcome any interest or participation in our meetings and encourage any who would like to join us.
Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 11th at 5:45PM in the WES library.
Thank you so much for your continued support of our After School Program.