These changes will affect both the 15M & 50K:
1. The Orange Trail will be used this year, bypassing the
last 0.2 miles of the Red Trail Loop. The Orange Trail exits at nearly
the same location as the Red Trail. At the exit, runners will bear to
the right onto the gravel road and return to the Start/aid station area before proceeding
out on the park road to the 2nd loop of the race. The approx. distance from the Start to the 1st aid station (at the Start) is 5.75 miles.
2. The traverse along the gravel road around the Environmental Education Center will not be used this year. This was run twice (out and back) last year only.
3. The Blue Trail has been shifted closer to Mitchell Hill Lake.
These changes are for the 50K only:
4. The Siltstone Trail has been re-routed around the hilltop at Tom Wallace Lake. For details, see the previous post about this change: http://llth50.blogspot.com/2008/01/course-changes.html
5. At the end of the Siltstone Trail, runners will continue across the road and across the wood bridge. Runners will then continue to the next trail junction, turn left & head towards the Scott's Gap aid station in the parking lot, which is the turnaround point. Previously from years 2005-2007, runners turned left at the end of the Siltstone Trail and ran down the highway to the turnaround point. Runners will cross 3 highways twice on the Siltstone: Jefferson Hill Road, Bearcamp Road and now Scott's Gap Road.
changes 1 & 2: