- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pale beer or vegetable broth
- 1- 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1- 15oz. can black beans
- 2- 15oz. cans dark red kidney beans
- 1- 15oz. can pinto beans
- 1- 15oz. can corn, drained
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder (if you want your chili spicy, add up to 2 Tbsp. chili powder)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1- 16oz. can Rosarita Zesty Salsa refried beans (or other spicy vegetarian refried beans)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (nooch)
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 2 Mexican Chipotle Field Roast sausages, sliced into half-moon shapes, optional (this makes the chili a little spicy)
Over medium heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables. Add beer or vegetable broth, tomatoes, all beans with liquid, and corn and stir to combine.
Season chili with cumin, chili powder, and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans.
Then add the sausage (if using), nooch, and quinoa and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.