Our History

When German settlers came to this area, they brought the German Reformed Church with them. With baptism records dating back as far as 1740, a small congregation began here in Old Zionsville. Around 1752, they built a log cabin in which to worship. A small cemetery that was near the log cabin is still in existence. As the area grew, the church decided in 1789 to build a one-story fieldstone church. At that time our adjoining cemetery was begun. On the exact spot of the present church a brick church was built in 1858. Finally, in 1909, our beautiful stone church, with all its magnificent stained glass, was erected. You can learn more about our history in our Historical Room in the back of the sanctuary.

In 1957, the Old Zionsville Evangelical and Reformed Church joined a new denomination called the United Church of Christ, a denomination intent on bringing all Christian denominations closer together. This new denomination lifted up the phrase from Jesus, "That they may all be one."