Revere Brothers

The Revere Award / The Revere Brothers

The Revere Award recipients

The Olde Colony Civil War Round Table established The Revere Award in 1999, to be awarded to a person who had made significant contribution to the study of the American Civil War and to the Olde Colony Civil War Round Table. The Award is a magnificent 8-inch diameter Reed & Barton engraved silver plated bowl, or, pewter bowl, presented in the names of the brothers, Colonel Paul Joseph Revere and Assistant Surgeon Edward Hutchinson Robbins Revere, who gave up their lives serving in the 20th Mass., the Harvard Regiment, for their Country. They were the grandsons of the Revolutionary War hero, Midnight Rider Paul Revere.

Colonel Paul Joseph Revere was fatally wounded in the battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863, while leading his regiment to battle, and died on July 4, 1863. Assistant Surgeon Edward Hutchinson Robbins Revere died in the battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862, while tending the wound of a soldier.


The First 1999 Revere Award recipient : William J. Bernache
Olde Colony CWRT Founding Member, Treasurer, Program Chair and Tourmeister.

The 2000 Revere Award recipient : David J. Kenney
Olde Colony CWRT Founding Member, Editor and President.

The 2001 Revere Award recipient : Edwin C. Bearss
Chief Historian emeritus of the National Park Service, author and a Respected Authority on the American Civil War.

The 2002 Revere Award recipient : Robert Hall
Olde Colony CWRT Founding Member, Vice President, Chairman/ Coordinator of CSN Edward J. Johnston's disinterment, from Ft. Warren/Devens, MA, back to Fernandina, FL.

The 2003 Revere Award recipient : Joseph H. Geden
Olde Colony CWRT Founding Member, Board member, Jubilee Banquet Ticketmaster, Election Nomination Chair and our "Confederate Admiral."

The 2004 Revere Award recipient : Robert Mooney
Olde Colony CWRT Member, Nantucket Leading Historian, Author of many Histories of Nantucket and the Civil War, member of Mass. Board of Library Commissioners, past President of Board of Trustees of the Nantucket Atheneum, served in Mass. House of Representatives and Assistant District Attorny, held degrees from Holy Cross College and Harvard Law School, featured speaker on numerous Civil War subjects.

2005, no Revere Award given.

The 2006 Revere Award recipient : Gordon Kwok
Olde Colony CWRT Member, Secretary, Webmaster, Revere Award Co-Chair, Scholarship Committee member and researcher on the Chinese serving in the American Civil War.

The 2007 Revere Award recipients : C. Peter Jorgensen & Kathryn Jorgensen
Editor and Publisher of the Civil War News

The 2008 Revere Award recipient :  Joseph Scalia who had served as President of Olde Colony CWRT and Program Chair. 

The grandsons of Paul Revere, Part I

Paul Joseph Revere

Our U.S. Supreme Court Justice, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., delivered this Memorial Day address in 1884, in Keene, NH, before the John Sedgwick G.A.R., his famous "In our youth, our heart were touched by fire" speech. In that speech, he recalled his former Commander of his beloved 20th Mass. "Harvard" Regiment, Colonel Paul Joseph Revere, Jr. "I see one-----grandson of a hard rider of the Revolution and bearer of his historic name-----who was with us at Fair Oaks, and afterwards for five days and nights in front of the enemy the only sleep that he would take was what he could snatch sitting erect in his uniform and resting his back against a hut. He fell at Gettysburg." Holmes also spoke with affection about Paul's brother, Edward H.R. Revere, "a surgeon, who rode, as our surgeons so often did, wherever the troops would go, I saw kneeling in ministration to a wounded man just in rear of our line at Antietam, his horse's bridle round his arm-----the next moment his ministrations were ended."

Another comrade, Surgeon Nathan Hayward, in the Memoir of the 20th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry: November 10, 1862-January 1, 1864, praised Revere, "Colonel Revere's strong character exerted an influence upon the regiment that is still felt. Brave, chivalrous, self sacrificing, gentle and generous, he set a noble example of private virtues, and in the establishment and discipline of the regiment his force impressed both officers and men. The worthy possessed in him a friend upon whom to repose an absolute trust. The unworthy found him a stern and contemptuous adversary. His discipline was severe but not debasing: manly sentiments were encouraged not repressed. By its means self respect was fostered in the minds of the aspiring, and begotten where it did not exist."

Almost every American child knew the famous Revolutionary hero Paul Revere who rode to warn the Minutemen of the British advance in April 1775. His son Joseph Warren Revere was born in 4/30/1777, and who fathered Paul Joseph Revere at age 55.

Paul Joseph Revere, was born in Boston on September 10, 1832, the fourth son / seventh child of Joseph Warren Revere (born 4/30/1777) and Mary Robbins (born 10/16/1794). Paul's father, Joseph Warren Revere, was the the eleven child / 4th son of the Revolutionary War Midnight Rider Paul Revere. Mary Robbins said Paul Joseph Revere was a very fine child. At age 5, he liked poetry, and had very good memory. At age 8, he went to school in Milton. Two years passed, in 1842, Paul attended Mr. Brooke's school in Boston. At 14, he went to Dr. Davis's family to learn. At 16, in 1848, Paul entered Harvard College. Even at this young age, he showed leadership among the boys. Paul was a member of the Hasty Pudding Club. In one summer, he explored Moosehead Lake, and the Adirondeck Mountains. In the summer of 1854 at 21, he went on a trip to Lake Superior. Against his better judgment, his friends overruled him and proceeded in high wind (gale) and gusty waters. The boat capsized and three of his friends were drown. He managed to save one and himself by ordering the friend to do exactly what he ordered him. He came home as a completely different person, since he was so close to death.

He graduated from Harvard College in 1852, and started his short business career from 1852 to 1861. In 1855, Paul helped his father to run the business: rebuilding a burned down wharf. On March 17, 1859, Paul married Lucretia Watson Lunt, the daughter of Rev. Dr. Lunt of Quincy. Their first home was in Tremont St. and then moved to Quincy. Their first child was a boy whom they named, Francis Dabney Revere.

After the Confederate attacked Fort Sumter and the war came, Paul Revere volunteered his military service, and was commissioned a Major, of the 20th Mass Voluntary Infantry, at Readville, in June 1, 1861, serving under Col. William Raymond Lee.

A friend and comrade remembered Paul's motivation to join, and quoting Paul, "I have weighed it all; and there is something higher still. The institutions of the country, indeed free institutions throughout the world, hang on this moment. --------- I can carry other men with me; and with them must struggle for the freedom and the principles that have built up this nation. --------- "

On September 1861, the regiment was ordered to the upper Potomac, encamped at Poolesville, MD, between Edward's Ferry and Conrad's Ferry, near Leesburg, for more than a month. He fought the battle of Ball's Bluff, injured and captured, along with his brother Edward. A spent ball struck Paul on the foot. They were both captured.

He became a prisoner-of-war and was jailed in Ligon Tobacco Warehouse in Richmond. A Miss Van Lew (Crazy Bet, an undercover Federal intelligence agent) visited him and brought him some books.

Around that time, the Union captured some Southern seamen who raid Northern Commercial ships and declared its intention to try them as privates. The Confederate Secretary of War, Judah Benjamin issued an order to select some Union POW as hostages, and PJR became one of the hostages, along with his brother Edward. Paul wrote to his wife, on November 11, 1861, "The authorities here desire to notify our government of their intention to hold as hostages a certain number of prisoners equal to the number of prisoners on trial in New York, and in case of their conviction and execution to treat those prisoners in the exactly similar manner. ------ I try not to dwell on the anxiety which I knew you must have felt, and which is my greatest trouble; and hope to hear that you have been able to resign yourself to trust in the providential disposition of our lives whatever that disposition may be -------"

Seven Union hostages, including PJR, were transferred to a prison in Henrico County, Virginia. Their small 11' x 17' dimly lighted cell was infested with vermin, and they witnessed the whipping of slaves. PJR wrote home to console his father, "---------- Give my love to him, and tell him that I never regretted my decision {to join the Army} less than I do now." His health had been permanently impaired by confinement as a prisoner of war in Richmond, but his staunch endurance would not succumb to this disease. In sickness as in health he was still the cheerful and dauntless soldier.

Under the pressure of Confederate reprisal, the Federal Government wisely withdrew their threat, and treated the Southern seamen as prisoners of war instead. The Union High Command viewed PJR as a very valuable asset, and worked behind the scene to ensure his freedom. Gen. Wool asked for positive confirmation that Revere could be released from his parole. Thus, Paul J. Revere escaped execution, and was released and sent home on parole, on the condition that a Confederate officer of comparative rank had to be released by the Federal. When PJR arrived in Boston, he took the matter into his own hand, instead of waiting of the bureaucracy to run its course. He took a boat ride to George's Island where Fort Warren is located, and selected three Confederate prisoners of similar rank, to be exchanged for himself, his brother Edward, and his regimental commander, Col. William Lee.

The two brothers took a little time off to celebrate their father's 85th birthday, and then rejoined his regiment at Yorktown, Virginia. They reported to Gen. Sumner, Corp commander, and Gen. Sedgwick, Divisional commander. They crossed the Chickahominy, and engaged the Confederates at Fair Oaks.

At Camp Lincoln, June 18, 1862, the two brothers met their cousin, Col. Joseph Warren Revere, of the 7th New Jersey regiment, which encamped just across the railroad from the 20th Mass. The re-union of the cousins was a very happy occasion for all of them, since Joseph was at sea and had been traveling around the west and Mexico, and rarely saw them.

At Glendale, PJR again escaped death--------his horse was shot down under him. Paul was engaged in Savage's Station, White-oak Swamp and Nelson's Farm. Then, Gen. McClellan ordered the Army to retreat to Harrison's Landing. Gen. Sumner promoted Paul to inspector-general on his staff, with the rank of lieutenant colonel, on 09/04/1862. PJR was engaged in Glendale and in Malvern Hill, and afterwards, he took sick leave (from malaria and severe rheumatism) and went home to recuperate on furlough.

This was the first time and the last time Paul saw his baby daughter Pauline, who was born in 2/19/1862.

Gen. Sedgwick praised Paul Revere, "Those who fought their way from the lines before Richmond to James River, last summer, know how much harm came from the cause; and those who saw Major Revere know that none of this harm came from him. He always appeared cheerful and hopeful, and in so bearing himself he did more service, and showed more of the true spirit of the soldier, than men can do and display by gallantry amid the stirring excitement of the battle field."

Paul fought in the battle of Antietam in September 17, 1862, and he was lucky. He received a wound and cheated death again. General Sumner cited Revere for distinguished conduct at Antietam. Paul returned home and learned that his brother Edward was killed during the same battle of Antietam, while tending the wounded of the 20th Mass.

PJR recuperated in Boston. In 04/14/1863, he was promoted as Colonel and to command his old 20th Mass. Regiment. He joined his regiment at Falmouth, a mile away from Fredericksburg, in June 1863. As a regimental Commander, Colonel Revere would not spare the incorrigible villain, but his support was always ready for the weak. He would attend the sick and suffering with the gentleness of a father. His soldiers respected and admired him and would follow him wherever he led them.

At the end of June, 1863, order to move his men North arrived. His regiment force-marched to Acquia Creek, and then, to Ocoquan Creek. On June 29, they reached Frederick, MD, and on June 30, they camped in the town of Union, MD. They arrived at Gettysburg in the morning on July 2, 1863 to participate the second day of engagement. On this day, at last Paul's luck ran out and received his third and final fatal wound. The 20th Mass. regiment positioned themselves on the second rank of the line, and lay in the grass behind the front line without firing a shot. The Confederates started to fire their cannons and many shells exploded overhead. Lying on the ground, Paul rose a little to reconnoiter and received a mortal wound in his chest, in his left lung, a fragment of an exploded artillery shell. He was immediately carried off the field, and soon moved to the field hospital (2nd Corp, 2nd Division Hospital) in Gettysburg. Someone sent a telegram to his home, informing them on his condition. He lingered on for two days until 6 pm on July 4, 1863 and died, barely past his thirtieth year of his life, and lived to know that the Union had won a great victory in Gettysburg. His wife, his sister and his older brother John Revere (the one who had not served in the Civil War) arrived at Gettysburg but they were too late. Colonel Paul Revere was buried next to his brother Edward H.R. Revere in Mount Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge, Mass. He survived by his parents, his wife, and two young children, his son Frank and his daughter Pauline. He was posthumously promoted to a Brevet Brigadier General. Several newspapers paid tribute to him, including New York Tribute 07/14/1863; The Christian Witness and Church Advocate 07/24/1863; and New York Herald 07/18/1863.

(In our 2003 Olde Colony Civil War Battlefield Tour at Gettysburg, our Tour Guide showed us the momument/location where Paul Joseph Revere fell. It is located in the Gettysburg National Park, near the edge of an athletic field of the Gettysburg College.)

Revere's mother received the news of Paul's death stoically but his father was crushed by the loss of two of his sons. The remaining brother, John Revere, helped to run the family business, the Revere Copper Company, the first copper rolling mill in America at the turn of 18th century. It is located in Canton, MA. Today, if you go to the Canton Post Office, you could still see the mural of the Paul Revere and Son Company, circa 1801, on one of its wall.

The Revere family donated the oil painting of Paul J. Revere and his uniform-coat to the Quincy Historical Society where our Round Table sometimes met in the past. The family also donated the first Star and Stripe that flew over Richmond on the eve of the Union re-occupation in April 1865, to QHS. The top secret Union Intelligence agent Elizabeth Van Lew (Crazy Bet) had assisted PJR while he was in prison. Years later, Miss Van Lew received financial assistance from the Revere family, and the flag was a gift to the Revere family. Paul J. Revere's sword was donated to the Canton Historical Society.


Paul J. Revere
Colonel 20th Mass. Regt
wounded at the battle of
Gettysburg PA July 2, 1863
Died July 4, 1863
aged 30 years
Lucretia Watson Revere
wife of Col. Paul J. Revere
died September 7, 1904
aged 72 years

(Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge, Mass.) 

Edward Hutchinson Robbins Revere

Paul's brother, Edward Hutchinson Robbins Revere was born in Boston, July 23, 1827. He was named after his maternal grandparents, Judge Edward Hutchinson and Elizabeth (Murray) Robbins. He got his degree at the Medical school of Harvard University in 1849, and went to Paris for his post-graduate study. He practiced in Greenfield, MA and then, returned to Canton, MA where his father had a summer residence. He joined the 20th Mass. Regiment on September 17, 1861 as the surgeon of the 1,400 men and on October 21, 1861 participated in the battle of Ball's Bluff. He stayed behind to tend the injured under the shower of bullets and was captured with his brother Paul. He was imprisoned in a tobacco warehouse in Richmond, where he continued to take care of the sick and the wounded soldiers in the hospital.

Upon exchanged in February 1862, he rejoined his regiment at Yorktown. He served well in the subsequent battles. At Fair Oaks, Dr. Revere devoted his attendance to a large number of the wounded. A series of battles continued for seven days and Edward worked uninterrupted day and night, sustained by the power of his mind and the strength of his energy.

As an illustration of his courage, may I quote a passage from a book, "It may be mentioned, that, only a few moments before he fell, he was observed by one of the officers of his regiment to be attending to a wounded man upon the ground. While thus occupied, the regiment, which stood within a few feet of him, suddenly changed front, faced to the rear, and fired a volley over his head. He continued his work without a trembling of the hand, and not even looking up."

He went to Antietam as a surgeon, but also acted as an officer of the line in keeping his men in line. On this anniversary day of his service, September 17, 1862, he gave up his life to fight for freedom of mankind. A bullet shot through his heart. It was quick and he didn't feel any pain.

Edward survived by his parents, his wife, Laura Porter Jordan of Canton, and his daughter, Mary Robbins. He was buried in Mount Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge, Mass.


Edward H. R. Revere
Surgeon 20th Mass. Regt
The discharge of his duty
The battle of Antietam, MD
September 17, 1862
aged 35 years
Laura Portor Revere
wife of Edward H. R. Revere
died February 25, 1899
aged 69 years

(Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge, Mass.) 

Postscript: His oldest brother, John Revere, remembered him by naming John's fifth son as Edward Hutchinson Robbins Revere, born 10/12/1867.

A word on the oldest brother, John Revere. In 1881, John Revere, became the president of the Revere Copper Company (copper rolling mill), which is now where the Plymouth Rubber Company is located, in Canton, Mass. (Thanks OC member Bob Hearsey, Canton, for the information on John Revere.)

(Researched and compiled by Gordon Kwok)
{Source included articles, books, and oral/written presentations of guest / members, as well as Bob Dame, webmaster of the 20th Mass. Regiment web site (with permission).}

(Source: Wm. Parsons Lunt, A Memorial of Paul Joseph Revere and Edward H. R. Revere, Rand, Avery & Co., Boston 1874 [Privately printed].)
(Credit of this article also goes to Olde Colony CWRT member Bob Hearsey, who lent me this book, and assisted me to look for other research material.)

(Credit also goes to Executive Director Nina Zannieri of the Paul Revere Memorial Association, who sent me, The Revere Family [Family Tree], written by Donald M. Nielsen, published by The New England Historic Genealogical Society.)

The grandsons of Paul Revere, Part II

Joseph Warren Revere

Joseph Warren Revere is the cousin of Paul Joseph Revere and Edward Hutchinson Robbins Revere.

Joseph Warren Revere was born at Boston, 05/17/1812. His parents were John Revere, born 03/27/1787, and Lydia LeBaron Goodwin, born 12/22/1785. John Revere was the 16th and last child / the 6th son of Midnight Rider Paul Revere. He had served in the American Civil War but survived the War. As Joseph lived near the sea, he would like very much to see the world, and at age 16, he joined the U.S. Navy as a midshipman in 1828 and learned his rope. His wish came true and he sailed wherever the ship took him around and visited many ports in many diplomatic missions. Gradually he got promoted through the ranks to a lieutenant in 1841. He enjoyed his sailing venture.

He married Rosanna Duncan Lamb in 10/4/1842 at Boston.

In 1845, he was assigned to the California coast, where he raised the flag at Sonoma on 7/9/1846, and participated in subsequent naval activitieson the Mexican west coast. As promotion came very slowly at peacetime, he was not very happy with his career at that stage of his life. In the year 1849, news of the discovery of gold in California spread like wild fire. In 1850, when his ship docked in San Francisco, he resigned his post from the U.S. Navy, bought and developed a ranch near Sonoma, California. He made trading trips down the Mexican coast and helped organize the artillery for the Mexican army.

He joined the Mexican Army as a colonel in an artillery regiment, fighting against the revolutionary force. He was wounded and resigned. As a civilian, he roamed around Mexico. Later he returned to the East Coast and settled in Morristown, New Jersey.

Then in 1861 the Civil War came. He tried to rejoin the U.S. Navy, but the Navy was not too enthusiastic to welcome him. He found it was much easier to join the Army and he mustered into the Seventh New Jersey Infantry with the rank of a colonel on 08/31/1861. Joseph had his share to train his green troop. He might not know much in leading his soldiers on land, but for sure he knew how to lead a ship to battle station. Too bad he did not have a chance to command a ship, instead, he commanded a regiment on land.

Joseph W. Revere fought very well at the Williamsburg campaign. His regiment lost many soldiers and he was the lucky survivor. He marched with the Third Corps of Army of the Potomac in the Peninsula Campaign (Seven Days' Battles) in 1862 and made his fair share of contribution. Joseph W. Revere continued to serve in the Second Bull Run (Second Manassas), which was a Union defeat. With the attrition process, he was promoted to Brig. General in 10/25/1862, commanding the Third Brigade of Maj. Gen. Daniel Sickles' Division, the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac. Then came the battle of Fredericksburg, which was another Union's defeat, but his regiment was not involved in the active combat.

In the Spring of 1863 came his trying hours in the battle of Chancellorsville. When Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson launched his surprised nighttime flanking attack on the Union force, his superior, Maj. Gen. Hiram Berry (a grandson of a Revolutionary War soldier) ordered his men forward to fill the open gap of the salient line. Gen. Berry came from Rockland, Maine, and there is a Civil War Round Table named after him (General Hiram Berry Civil War Round Table in Rockland, Maine). Gen. Berry was fatally wounded by a sniper on 05/03/1863, when he crossed the plank road, and he asked his men to carried him to the rear. He passed his command to the next higher rank person in succession, Joseph W. Revere.

Well, JWR had never been placed in such important decision-making position before, and in such a critical moment. This sudden change of fortune, or should I say, misfortune, that he was surprised, shocked, panicking and overwhelmed with such an awesome responsibility. Call it whatever you want ------- Self-preservation? Confusion? Cowardice? Joseph Warren Revere ordered his regiment a rearward march. The Union line collapsed.

In the aftermath of the battle of Chancellorsville, JWR was relieved from his command, and facing a Court Martial, with a possible verdict of dismissal. JWR would like to explain he withdrew his men for a full three miles for the purpose of reorganizing and bringing them back to the field comparatively fresh.

At that time, the kind President Lincoln stepped in and offered JWR to resign his Brig. General commission before the Court Martial took place. Joseph Warren Revere took the "out" and resigned on 08/10/1863.

After the war, he continued to travel abroad, and published his memoirs on his life: Keel and Saddle. He died on 04/20/1880 in Hoboken, New Jersey and was buried in Morristown, NJ.

(Researched and compiled by: Gordon Kwok)

(Source: Several books and articles, and including: Joseph Warren Revere, Keel and Saddle: A Retrospect of Forty years of Military and Naval service, James R. Osgood and Company, Boston, 1872. The book was dedicated to the memories of Colonel Paul Joseph Revere, killed at Gettysburg, and Assistant Surgeon Edward H.R. Revere, killed at Antietam; both dying on the field of honor in the moment of victory.)