5 easy steps to cleansing and restoring natural moisture to even the greasiest and driest of faces
WHAT IS THE OIL CLEANSING METHOD?
The Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) is a technique for facial cleansing and moisturizing that uses natural oils to support the body in its natural detoxification and replenishment, gently helping it reach a natural, glowing balance. The Oil Cleansing Method is one of the only systems for cleansing the skin that works equally well for oily and dry skin, and all points in between. In an age of highly specialized skincare products geared towards specific skin types, it may be strange or unbelievable at first that something so simple could work equally well for people with oily, acne-ridden skin and for those with dry, flaky skin - As well as those of us who have combination skin. But the Oil Cleansing Method is unique in its ability to both moisturize and cleanse, eliminating excess oils, preventing pimples, and keeping skin soft and supple
Other advantages of OCM that should be noted include its abilities as an effective and safe makeup remover, its suitability for sensitive skin, and its safety for people with chemical sensitivities or environmental illnesses. It also eliminates the necessity for multiple products and can save you quite a lot of money over time. It also has an uncanny ability to balance combination dry/oily skin and even out skin texture and tone.
HOW TO USE THE OIL CLEANSING METHOD
Even the gentlest "natural" soaps and cleansers destroy our skin's ability to balance its own moisture levels, which is why we turn to the most basic and healing ingredients for the Oil Cleansing Method: Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) for its moisturizing and antioxidant abilities and Castor Oil (CO) for its extraordinary deep-cleansing and healing properties and its ability to draw impurities out of the skin.
For combination skin, we recommend experimenting with both of these formulas find the right proportion of oils. Many people use a 50% Extra Virgin Olive Oil / 50% Castor Oil blend for balancing skin that alternates between oily and dry, or is both dry and acne-prone.
1) Combine the correct proportions of oils in a small bottle, shaking thoroughly before each use.
2) Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of the oil mixture into the palm of your hand, and spread evenly over your entire unwashed face and neck (can also be used on your chest and shoulders). Go all the way to the hairline and around the eyes. Massage the oil into your skin gently. Do not wash face or remove makeup prior to using OCM.
3) Soak soft face cloth (flannel is preferable) in the steaming hot water. Wring it out and drape it over your face. Allow the hot water to steam your face, as this will open your pores, allowing the oils to penetrate.
4) When the washcloth has cooled, use it to wipe the oil away from your face very gently. Rinse the washcloth in hot water again and repeat step #3 one to three times or until skin is no longer oily.
5) If your skin is tight or try, use a tiny bit of the oil formulation to moisturize your now-clean skin. Otherwise, splash cold water on your face for toning. Use your fingertips to massage any remaining oil residue into your skin. No oily film should be left on the surface of your skin.
Most people will benefit from repeating this process once to twice a day. Others may use it as a once-weekly treatment. Many people see results immediately, though it may take a few weeks for your skin to improve significantly.