About us‎ > ‎

Osmania medical college

                Osmania Medical College was started as Hyderabad Medical School as desired by the Nizam Nawab Nasirudawla, the fourth king of Asafia dynasty, in 1846. The first Principal of the Medical School was Dr. Maclean, who was the chief medical officer of British residency. The medium on instruction used to be Urdu language. Initially the medical school was located in a house at Abids and later shifted to Residency Dispensary at Sultan Bazaar. From 1886, during the tenure of Surgeon Major Edward Lawrie as the Principal, the clinical teaching was done in Afzalgunj hospital, and medium of instruction is changed to English.

                The King Osman Ali Khan, the Nizam of erstwhile state of Hyderabad created Osmania University in the year 1920. The same year the Hyderabad Medical School was changed to Osmania Medical College, by the Firman(Order) of Nawab Mir Osman Ali Khan. The medium of the course was changed to Urdu in 1927. The preclinical teaching was done at Osmania University campus, Adikmet. The Nizam dominion was merged with independent India in 1948 and the medium of instruction was again changed to English. Medical Council of India recognised the MBBS degree from Osmania in 1951 and registered the year of inception of college as 1946.

                In 1956, the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Dr. B. Ramakrishna Rao laid the foundation stone for the present building of Osmania Medical College and it was inaugurated by the President of India Sri Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan in 1962.


Comments