In September of 2002, OFSCA celebrated its 40th anniversary of the Sister City relationship with Fukuoka, highlighted by the unveiling of our Torii Gate at the Gardens of Lake Merritt. A 65-person delegation came from Fukuoka to Oakland to participate in the festivities, where the Torii Gate was dedicated to the memory of our late councilman, Frank H. Ogawa.
This was a culmination of three years of fundraising for the $32,000 needed to construct the gate. It was built in the traditional Japanese manner by a skilled Japanese craftsman, and over 1000 volunteer hours went into this project. Our dedicated volunteers continue to maintain this area
The original Torii Gate was a gift to the City of Oakland in 1969 from the Junior Chamber of Commerce of Fukuoka, to commemorate the 7th anniversary of the Sister City relationship. Over the years, the Torii Gate was unable to withstand the wear and tear, and it became necessary for the city to remove it.