Spanish Period Link to Homepage
In 1570, the Spanish explorer Martin de Goiti traveled up the western Mindoro coast to attack Muslim settlements in Mamburao and Lubang.
During the exploration of the Spaniards"conquistadores" in 1570 they changed the name from Mait to “Mina de Oro” meaning mine of gold . Although they found some precious metal, no major gold discoveries were ever made.
In 1581, when the Spanish divided the Philippines into eleven provinces, Mindoro was grouped together with Calilaya, Lubang, Batangas, the Calamianes Group and Marinduque. The third ecclesiastical district of the Philippine Archipelago was established in Calavite by the Recollecto Friars on June 18, 1677.
Mindoro became part of Batangas Province when the latter was made a separate province known as Bonbon. At the beginning of the 17th century, the island was separated from Batangas and organized into a "Corrigimento" with Puerto Galera as its capital and placed under the jurisdiction of Marinduque.
Moro raiders continued to ravage the island and depopulated most of the western coast.
In 1770, the Spaniards destroyed the Moro settlement at Mamburao, but the raiding continued until the middle of the 19th century.