About us

HISTORY

Construction of the Oakland Public Library was started in 1913 and completed in 1915. It was funded by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, on land donated by Alice Benjamin.  The original building was built to house 4,000 volumes, and by 1996 the building had over 16,000 books.  Additionally, the original building had no handicap accessibility and lacked adequate space and parking area.  Therefore, to address these issues, planning for a Library Renovation/Expansion Project was begun in 1996.  This project doubled the size of the library and provided much needed handicap accessibility, and was completed in 2003.

Comments