- Champion, Erik. (2007). “Explorative Shadow Realms Of Uncertain Histories” (book chapter from revised New Heritage conference paper), New Heritage: New Media and Cultural Heritage, edited by Yehuda E. Kalay, Thomas Kvan and Janice Affleck, Routledge.
- Champion, Erik. (2007). "Chapter 24: Games and Geography," Multimedia Cartography, 2nd edition, edited by W. Cartwright, M. P. Peterson, G. Gartner. Springer-Verlag, New York, pp. 347-357. ISBN-10: 3-540-36650-4 ISBN-13: 978-3-540-36650-8. Buy or log in to Springer.
- Champion, Erik and Dave, Bharat. (2007). "Chapter 16: Dialing up the Past," (book chapter). In S. Kenderdine and F. Cameron, (Eds.). Theorizing Digital Cultural Heritage: A Critical Discourse, MIT Press: Media in Transition series, pp. 333-348. ISBN-10:0-262-03353-4. Buy.
- Champion, Erik. (2006). " Chapter V-Enhancing Learning Through 3D Virtual Environments," in Enhancing Learning Through Technology, edited by E. Sorensen and D. Murchu, Ideas Group Publishing, Information Science Publishing, Aalborg University, Denmark, pp. 103-124. Hard Cover (ISBN: 1-59140-971-3) Soft Cover (ISBN: 1-59140-972-1) E-Book (ISBN: 1-59140-973-X). Online.
- Champion, Erik. (2005). "Virtual Places," in Encyclopedia of Virtual Communities and Technologies, pp. 556-561, edited by Subhasish Dasgupta, George Washington University, Idea Group, Hershey, P.A. ISBN: 1-59140-563-7.
- Champion, Erik. (2005). "Cultural Presence," Encyclopedia of Virtual Communities and Technologies, edited by Subhasish Dasgupta, George Washington University, Idea Group, Hershey, P.A. ISBN: 1-59140-563-7.
- Giaccardi, Elisa, Champion, Erik, & Kalay, Yehuda (2008).
Editorial. International Journal of Heritage Studies, 14(3), 195 - 196.
Erik. (2008). Otherness of Place: Game-based Interaction and Learning in Virtual Heritage Projects. International Journal of Heritage
Studies, 14(3), 210 - 228.
- Champion, Erik. (2007). "When Windmills Turn into Giants: The Conundrum of Virtual Places," in E. Champion (guest editor), Real and Virtual Places (Special Issue), Techné, technology and philosophy journal, v10 no.2: Spring, 22-44. Website: http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/SPT/v10n2/pdf/
- Champion, Erik. (2007). "Fragging History: Why Gamers Don’t Learn It the Old Fashioned Way," the Journal of the International Digital Media and Arts Association (IDMA). History and Changing Paradigms: the Role of Digital Media and Arts in How We View our World (Special issue), issue 4.1, 12-24, edited by Sharon Ross. URL: http://www.idmaa.org/journal/pdf/iDMAa_Journal_Vol_4_No_1_screen.pdf 2.1mb PDF file.
- Champion, Erik. (2007). “Blinking History: Lessons Learnt from Virtual Heritage Creation with Adobe Atmosphere as they may help future Blink 3D projects,” for David Vinciguerra (Ed.). VR in the Schools, issue 6.2, online journal.
- Champion, Erik. (2006). “Evaluating Cultural Learning in an Online Virtual Environment”, International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning (IJCEELL): Vol. 16, No.3/4 pp. 173 - 182. Edited by Elspeth McKay. DOI 10.1504/IJCEELL.2006.009197. Online.
- Champion, Erik. (2005). “Astral Travel in Virtual Realms: Evaluating Conceptual Understanding in Digital Reconstructions of Past Cultures”, Leonardo Electronic Almanac, MIT Press, Volume 13, No 6-7, pp. 1-7, June - July 2005, ISSN #1071-4391. Online at Leonardo.
- Champion, Erik. (2004). “Indiana Jones and the Joystick of Doom: Understanding the Past via Computer Games”, Traffic Number Five "A Vision Splendid": 47-65. Online.
- Champion, Erik. (2004). “The Digital Society and its Enemies: A Critique of 'On The Internet'”, Computing and Philosophy Conference, October 2003 Canberra. Published in the June 2004 Special Edition of the ACM Computers And Society, June 2004, 32(8). Online.
- Champion, Erik. (2002), “Architectural Criticism Made Easy”, in POSTGRADUATE Review, Winter 2002, VOL. 8 NO 3: 27-28. Commended Essay. UMPA (University of Melbourne Postgraduate Association). Online.
CONFERENCE PAPERS AND INVITED PRESENTATIONS
- Champion, Erik and Jacobson, Jeffrey. “Sharing the Magic Circle with
Spatially Inclusive Games,” Technical paper, Educator’s Forum, SIGGRAPH
ASIA, Singapore, 10-13 December.
- Champion, Erik. (2008). “Scandinavian Architecture and the Group.” Book chapter/seminar paper reviewed at Symposium on the Group Architects, Auckland University, 30 August 2008.
- Henden, Charles, Champion, Erik, Jacobson, Jeffrey and Muhlberger, Ralf. (2008). A Surround Display Warp-Mesh Utility to Enhance Player Engagement. The 7th International Conference on Entertainment Computing (ICEC 2008), 25-27 September 2008, Pittsburgh USA.
- Champion, E., A. Dekker, et al. (2008). Lazy Panorama Monopoly Table: Take Your City For A Spin. CAADRIA 2008: Beyond Computer-Aided Design, Chiang Mai, Thailand, CAADRIA.
- Champion, Erik. (2007, 15-18 September). Social Presence and Cultural Presence in Oblivion. Paper presented at the perthDAC 2007 The 7th International Digital Arts and Culture Conference: The Future of Digital Media Culture, Perth, Australia. Please note the paper will be made available at the conference website and is in the Proceedings.
- Champion, Erik. (2007). “All That Glitters Is Not Real: The Legal Horrors of Interesting Place Design.” Co-chair with Yehuda Kalay and panellist on public space and architecture in virtual worlds, invited and funded speaker. State of Play IV: Law, Games and Virtual Worlds-Building the Global Metaverse conference, Singapore, 19-21 August 2007.
- Champion, Erik. (2007). “Space Feeling and Alterity: Designing Interactive Media for Engaging Cultural Heritage Applications,” invited (and funded) speaker, The International Conference on Digital Applications in Cultural Heritage 2007 (DACH 2007), Tainan, Taiwan, 12-14 January 2007.
- Champion, Erik. (2006). “Playing With A Career in Ruins: Game Design and Virtual Heritage” invited (and funded) speaker, presentation in English for VIè Seminari Arqueologia i Ensenyament Conference held at the Museum of Catalonian History (Museu d’Història de Catalunya) Barcelona Spain, 26-28 October 2006. Published as part of the proceedings Learning in Cyberspace: new media for Heritage didactics and interpretation, or, Aprende el el ciberespai: nous mitjans per a la interpretacio I la didàcta del patrimony in Treballs D’Arqueologia, volume 12, edited by Paloma Gonzáles Marcén and Laia Puhoj Tost, published by Centre d’Estudis del Patrimoni Arquelògic de la Prehistoria, and the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona Spain, pp. 45-61. ISSN 1132-9261. Online.
- Champion, Erik. (2006). “Essentialist Polemics in Architectural History.” Paper presented at SAHANZ 2006 Contested Terrains, XXIII Annual Conference of the Society of Architectural Historians, Australia and New Zealand, Fremantle, Western Australia, 30 September – 2 October 2006. Published in Contested Terrains, Proceedings, XXIII Annual Conference of the Society of Architectural Historians, Australia and New Zealand SAHANZ, edited by T. McMinn, J. Stephens, S. Basson, volume 1, pp. 61-66. ISBN 0-646-46594-5. Publisher Curtin University of Technology, Fremantle, Western Australia. Conference website: http://sahanz.curtin.edu.au.
- Champion, Erik. (2006). “Explorative Shadow Realms of Uncertain Histories: Intangible Content and Translucent Interaction in New Heritage Projects.” Presented at New Heritage Conference: Cultural Heritage and New Media. Theme: Beyond verisimilitude; interpretation of cultural heritage through new media, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 15-16 March 2006. Published in proceedings of same title, volume 1, pp. 242-263. Edited by Yehuda Kalay, Thomas Kvan, Janice Affleck, publisher: University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. Also invited speaker for Place panel. Conference website: http://newheritageforum.org.
- Champion, Erik. (2005). “Meaningful Interaction in Virtual Learning Environments.” IE2005 Australian Workshop on Interactive Entertainment, Sydney, 23-25 November 2005, pp. 41-45. Also in ACM Digital Library. Short paper. Online.
- Champion, Erik. (2005). “Interactive Emergent History As A Cultural Turing Test.” VAST 2005 Symposium on Graphics and Cultural Heritage, Pisa, Italy, 8-11 November 2005. Short paper. Published in proceedings, VAST 2005 6th International Symposium on Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Intelligent Cultural Heritage-Short & Project Papers Proceedings, edited by Mark Mudge, Nick Ryan and Robert Scopingo. ISBN: 1-59140-563-7.Vol. 2, pp. 120 - 125, Eurographics Association. Online.
- Champion, Erik. (2005). “What Is Culture in a Virtual Heritage Environment?” Paper presented at Archaeology and Computer Conference (Archäologie und Computer 2005), Vienna Town Hall, Vienna, 7-10 November 2005. Fully refereed for 2006 CD publication of Proceedings "Cultural Heritage and New Technologies" − Workshop "Archaeology and Computer (Archäologie und Computer 2005: Workshop 10), edited by Wolfgang Börner, Phoibos Verlag, Anzengrubergasse 16/4, A-1050 Vienna, pp. 1-11. ISBN 3-901232-78-8. Publication website: http://www.stadtarchaeologie.at/tagung/epublikation.htm.
- Champion, Erik. (2005). “Twilight of the Zombies: The Rise Fall and Fragging of Virtual Worlds,” Vital Signs New Media Conference, RMIT Melbourne, 7-8 September 2005. Published in 2006 online in Vital Signs: Creative Practice & New Media Now, RMIT Publishing, RMIT, Melbourne, edited by Pauline Anastasiou, Rhonda Smithies, Karen Trist and Lyndal Jones. One online single HTML page. EISBN: 1921166118.
- Champion, Erik. (2005). “Real Time Rendering Engines for Interactive Learning,” Apple University Consortium Academic & Developers Conference, 7-9 September 2005, Wrest Pt Casino, Hobart Tasmania. Funded speaker. Full paper reviewed and accepted for Evolution: Proceedings of the Apple University Consortium Academic & Developers Conference, edited by Ian McColl, Chapter 5, pp. 46 - 58. Download PDF of proceedings here.
- Champion, Erik. (2005). “Place Space and Monkey Brains: Cognitive Mapping in Games and Other Media.” Short paper presented at DiGRA (Digital Games Research Association), Changing Worlds: Worlds in Play, 2005 International Conference, edited by Suzanne de Castell & Jennifer Jenson, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver Canada, 16-20 June 2005. Short paper published on DVD, volume 1, not paginated. Abstract online.
- Champion, Erik and Sekiguchi, Sachiyo. (2005). “Suggestions for new features to support collaborative learning in virtual worlds,” C5: The Third International Conference on Creating, Connecting and Collaborating through Computing, January 28 - 29, 2005, Shiran Kaikan, Kyoto University, Japan. Published in Third International Conference on Creating, Connecting and Collaborating through Computing, 2005. C5 2005, pp. 127-134, by IEEE Computer Society Press, ISBN: 0-7695-2325-0, DOI: 10.1109/C5.2005.25. Online.
- Champion, Erik and Sekiguchi, Sachiyo. (2004). “Cultural Learning in Virtual Environments,” VSMM2004 Hybrid Realities: Digital Partners, Ogaki City, Gifu, Japan, 17-19 November 2004, pp. 364-373. ISBN 4-274-90634-5.
- Champion, Erik. (2004). “Virtual Travel Environments and Cultural Learning.” Proceedings of Multimedia Art Asia Pacific International Conference MAAP 2004, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, September 27-28, 2004. Available on CD. Short-listed and published in Leonardo Electronic Almanac, Vol 13, No 6-7, June - July 2005, ISSN #1071-4391.
- Champion, Erik. (2004). “The Limits of Realism in Architectural Visualisation.” In H. Edquist and H. Frichot (eds.), LIMITS, Proceedings From the 21st annual conference of the Society of Architectural Historians Australia and New Zealand, (SAHANZ), Melbourne, Australia, 26-29 September 2004, 01, pp. 88-98. ISBN 0-646-44062-4. Dean's Prize for Published Postgraduate Work for 2004. Faculty of Architecture Building and Planning, University of Melbourne 2005.
- Champion, Erik. (2004). “Heritage Role Playing-History as an Interactive Digital Game.” Y. Pisan (ed.), IE2004 Australian Workshop on Interactive Entertainment, Sydney, February 2004: 29-35. ISBN 0-9751533-0-8, pp. 47-65. Also in ACM Digital Library. Short paper. Online.
- Champion, Erik, Dave, Bharat and Bishop, Ian. (2003). “Evaluation of Interaction vs. Engagement for Virtual Heritage Applications,” presented at CAADFUTURES 2003, Taiwan. Published in M-L Chiu, J-Y Tsou, T Kvan, M Morozumi & T-S Jeng (eds), Digital Design: Research and Practice. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Futures. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 249-258.
- Champion, Erik. (2003). “Online Exploration of Mayan Culture.” VSMM2003 Ninth International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, Hybrid Reality: Art, Technology and the Human Factor, Montreal Canada, 15-17 October 2003, proceedings edited by Hal Thwaites, pp. 364-373. ISBN 1-895130-12-3. Best virtual heritage paper award.
- Champion, Erik. (2003). “The Digital Society and its Enemies: A Critique of 'On The Internet',” Computers and Philosophy Conference, Oct 2003, Canberra. Online.
- Champion, Erik. (2003). “Floating on the Primal Sea: Utzon and Dissolution in Nordic Architecture,” First Utzon Symposium, 28-30 August 2003, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Champion, Erik. (2003). “Applying Game Design Theory to Virtual Heritage Environments.” Annual Conference, Graphite, Melbourne Australia, 11-14 February 2003, pp. 273 - 274. Short paper. Online at ACM digital library.
- Champion, Erik. & Dave, Bharat. (2002). “Where is this place?” In G. Proctor (ed.), ACADIA2002, Association For Computer Aided Design In Architecture 2002 Annual Conference, Pomona USA, 24-27 October 2002, pp. 87-97.
- Champion, Erik. (2002). “Cultural Engagement In Virtual Heritage Environments With Inbuilt Interactive Evaluation Mechanisms,” in Feliz R. Gouveia, (Ed). Proceedings of the Fifth Annual International Workshop PRESENCE 2002, 9-11 October 2002, pp. 117-128, Porto, Portugal. Online.
- Champion, Erik. (2001). Travels Through the imagination: Future Visions of VR and Related Technologies, YVR2001, December 2001, KAIST. One of ten Virtual Reality researchers selected worldwide for fully funded conference workshop at KAIST in South Korea.
- Champion, Erik. (1992). Nordic Architecture, in Architecture NZ.
- Champion, Erik. (1992). Ralph Erskine, in Architecture NZ.
OTHER CONFERENCE PAPERS (SELECTED BY ABSTRACT)
- Champion, Erik. (2003). Evaluating Interactive Engagement In Virtual Places, DIS Doctoral Colloquium, Department of Information Systems, University of Melbourne, February 2003.
- Champion, Erik. (2002). Evoking Cultural Presence in Virtual Heritage Environments, CAAUK 2002, May 2002, Belfast. (Poster).
- Champion, Erik. (2002). Cognitive Mapping in Virtual Environments, ASPIRE 2002, Castlemaine, Victoria, July 2002.
- Champion, Erik. (1995). The Group (Architects), in Modern Design Conference Proceedings, Schools of Design, UNITEC Institute of Technology, NZ.
- Champion, Erik. (1995). The Body and Architecture, The Body Conference, Department of Art History, University of Auckland, NZ.
- Champion, Erik. (1994). Kant and the Sublime, Freedom and Modernity, University of Victoria.
- Champion, Erik. (1992). The Psychological Implications of Sustainable Architecture, in Papatuanuku Conference Proceedings, NZ Institute of Architects (NZIA).
- Flynn, Bernadette. (2007). Interviewed regards Palenqué Unreality project (UT 2004) by Bernadette Flynn, The Griffith Film School, Griffith University, 8 January 2007. To appear in New Technologies in the archaeognostic sciences.
- Champion, Erik. (2005). What is Virtual Heritage? Online article for www.elsewhereonline.org
- Champion, Erik. (2002). Travels along a Virtual Highway. Written Report of Research trip for Virtual Heritage Net-Nov 2002.
- NB: One of 71 Correspondents in the Difficult Questions about Video Games Book. A snippet is at Gamasutra ("Difficult Questions About Videogames: How Can You Tell if a Videogame is Rubbish?").