VISTA POSITIONS OPEN NOW, APPLICATIONS DUE BY 9-20!
Make a difference in the lives of those affected by Superstorm Sandy while gaining work experience.
VISTAs (Volunteers in Service to America) serve one year terms for their sponsor organization. Through the Federal program, AmeriCorps, they receive a living allowance, an end of service award, health benefits, child care benefits and relocation allowance if applicable, and are withheld from federal income taxes on their allowance. To learn more about the Volunteers in Service to America program visit https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=52121&fromSearch=true
World Cares Center (WCC) is a registered 501(c)(3)nonprofit, operating out of New York City, which delivers disaster preparedness and response trainings to empower citizens, youth, seniors and civic leaders throughout communities of varying ethnic and economic backgrounds. By ensuring that individuals and agencies are prepared to respond to any sort of emergency situation, WCC alleviates the suffering that can beset communities affected by natural and manmade disasters. We train emergency response managers and local leaders to utilize community resources and coordinate large scale contingency plans in collaboration with other responding organizations that take into account the specific needs of each resident. Please visit www.worldcares.org
Field Manager VISTA – One required for each of the following locations: The Rockaways (Queens), Brooklyn
Long Term Recovery Committee Liaison VISTA – One required for each of the following boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, and Queens
Field Manager VISTA Member tasks and activities:
· Support the work of Volunteer Coordination and Resiliency Centers (VCRC's) by working in each borough respectively as primary volunteer recruiters and skilled trainers under the "Train the Trainer" model, directly related to the Superstorm Sandy recovery.
· Develop and implement a clear management plan for effective recruitment, engagement, management and retention of volunteers for the above mentioned programs.
· Act as project coordinators that conceptualize strategies and create the templates for trainings, which will be safely implemented by volunteers.
· Conduct outreach and organize local task force coalitions.
· Work with the Programs Manager to develop, write and refine the training curriculum and handbooks.
· Lead trainings for community groups using WCC educational materials, Power Point presentations and other information previously developed in tandem with the Programs Manager.
· Create and carryout presentations in the community on the subject of emergency preparedness and safety.
· Attend weekly staff meetings and other relevant meetings to form cohesive plans and strategies pertaining to the recovery efforts.
· Develop procedures and systems that will improve the current volunteer management system and procedural guides, specific to the Superstorm Sandy recovery operations.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
LTRC Liaison VISTA Member tasks and activities:
· Travel to and within multiple boroughs and attend relevant meetings.
· Gain a comprehensive understanding of World Cares Center and its programs and activities so that you may offer and implement WCC support to the LTRC.
· Act as a coordinator between the LTRC borough committee and World Cares Center.
· Correspond with and share resources between LTRC’s, World Cares Center and WCC Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD) Liaison VISTA.
· In conjunction with LTRC Liaison VISTAs from each borough and the WCC VOAD Liaison VISTA:
o Plan the management, outreach and development of organizational structures
o Create templates and plans to facilitate the above mentioned process
o Create the tools to make coordination and collaboration easily achieved
· Deliver support to the community through information sessions, training and workshops while reducing duplication of efforts and ensuring that vulnerable and overlooked populations are served.
· Develop, write and refine WCC’s training curriculum and handbooks to be delivered to the Superstorm Sandy LTRC committees and NYC VOAD members to develop plans for current and future use.
· Direct WCC trainings for local leaders, local organizations and the grassroots community using WCC education materials and Power Point presentations.
· Attend regular staff meetings and LTRC meetings to form cohesive plans and strategies pertaining to the recovery efforts.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Recommended skills and qualifications:
Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing, verbal and computer skills (Microsoft Office Word, Access, PowerPoint and Excel), and database management skills. The candidate must be highly organized with the ability to implement systems and follow-up processes, able to effectively work under pressure, use independent judgment and produce a quality work product within tight time constraints.
· A demonstrated understanding and ability to navigate Power Point.
· Proven public speaking skills.
· Refined written skills.
· Demonstrated experience and competency working with large teams.
*World Cares Center events and projects often take place before and after work and on weekends, requiring the VISTA to work several evenings per month and multiple weekend days a year.*
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO phone calls regarding this position will be accepted.