History

In March 2018 some research was done into Troop 30's history and a document was created containing the various clippings that were found. This document can be accessed by clicking here. In addition, those clippings have been added to this page to show some of the early history of the troop. Copies of many of the troop's charters have also been copied and can be viewed by clicking here.

From The Tioga County Herald, November 16, 1916:

A Movement is on foot to organize a troop of Boy Scouts in town.


From The Tioga County Herald, January 20, 1922:

A meeting of persons interested in re-forming a Boy Scouting organization in Newark Valley was held last week and a committee to effect such re-organization was selected, composed of Prof. Coburn, W. H. Stimming, Jas. R Simmons, G. C. Settle, E. D. Bushnell and Rev. W. E. Elwood. The following officers were elected: Chairman, Prof. Coburn; Scoutmaster, N. R. McPherson; Assistants, John C. Black and Richard Bickford.

The two paragraphs above imply that there was scouting in Newark Valley prior to the founding of Troop 30. No further information about this has been found.

According to National BSA records Troop 30, Boy Scouts of America, Newark Valley, New York, received its first charter in April, 1932, and has been chartered annually to the present. Eighty-five years of continuous operation were completed April 30, 2017. Some of the clippings which follow indicate that Troop 30 was actually chartered in 1933. It may well be that the charter was effective in 1932 but presentation ceremony did not occur until 1934. 

From The Tioga County Herald, August 11, 1933:

For the past year or more, during the pastorate of Rev. Geo. Wiesen of the Baptist church, under his direction a company of Boy Scouts has been operating in Newark Valley, but as "Lone Scouts," not being affiliated with the national organization. Before Mr. Wiesen left town he sought to have local organizations or citizens take up the sponsorship of the Scouts and develop the group into a regularly organized troop.


At a meeting held in June the Parent-Teachers' Assn. voted to sponsor the local Scouts and a committee was appointed to take charge, with W. A. Stimming as president and Jay C. Purple as secretary. Application was made of the Ithaca Council for a charter, which is expected shortly, and Albert Frost has accepted the position as Scoutmaster. Messrs. Stimming and Purple were at Ithaca Wednesday, to attend a Scout meeting at Camp Barton, on Cayuga lake.


There are some ten or twelve lone Scouts in town and it is intended to train these to first class scouts before the work of taking in and developing other boys, from whom there are many applications, is begun.



From The Tioga County Herald, September, 1933:

The Wednesday night meeting of the local Parent-Teachers' Assn. was largely devoted to the Boy Scouts, which the association recently voted to sponsor and promote. Scout Executive Kenneth Spear of the Louis Agassiz Fuertes Council of Ithaca was present and presented a charter for Troop 30, Newark Valley, Ithaca district, and gave a talk in reference to the charter and the Boy Scout work. The boys who have been somewhat associated with scout work as a local band of Lone Scouts, gave a demonstration of their work as far as they have gone with it. Mr. Spear then showed moving pictures of summer life at Camp Barton on Cayuga Lake.

Sometime ago the P. T. Assn. decided to take up the sponsorship of a development of Boy scouts here to follow up some work done in that line by the former Baptist, pastor, Rev. Geo. Weisen. A committee of five, including W. A. Stimming, chairman, Ross Tappan, Dr. Ardell, J. C. Purple and Prof. Strait, was formed to take up this work and later Albert Frost, now teaching in the school accepted the position as Scout Master. With the reception of the charter, the work of developing what will probably be a strong local organization will go forward. Two patrols, which have been named the “Crow” and the “Flaming Arrow” have been formed as a nucleus. There are nine Lone Scouts here, including one Tenderfoot, six Second Class and two nearly prepared for First Class. There is a long list of applicants for membership and these boys will be taken in as rapidly as the present Scouts and Scout Master can develop the work to receive and train them.



From The Tioga County Herald, February 1934:

At their rooms in the Municipal building, on Thursday evening, Feb. 15, Troop No. 30, B. S. A., under direction of the Scoutmaster, Albert Frost, held their first Tenderfoot investure ceremony which was attended, besides the members, by about thirty people to witness this impressive ceremony by which each boy is received into the troop as a Tenderfoot scout. Robert Bushnell, Harold Lacey and Ralph Onofrio were taken into the troop as members of the Flaming Arrow patrol, while Arthur Rhodes and Duane Tarbox became members of the Crow patrol. Appropriate badges were presented by W. H. Stimming, president of the local council. The membership of the troop is now twenty-one.

At this meeting also, Seth Tarbox, having passed the required examinations for the work accomplished in music and civics, was presented by W. L. Strait, representing the local Council, with merit badges for each accomplishment.

Wednesday night, local men interested in the Scout movement, with eight cars, took all but one; who was ill; of the 22 local Scouts and also some ten or more other boys, who are prospective Scouts, to Ithaca Wednesday night to attend the annual indoor rally of the Ithaca Council. The rally was held in the Cornell armory and 650 of the 760 Scouts of the district attended. Troop 30 of Newark Valley put on a demonstration of Indian tepee construction.

The above clipping indicates that Troop 30 was meeting in the Municipal Building by February 1934.

From The Tioga County Herald, March 16, 1934:

The Newark Valley Boy Scout Troop No. 30 'of the Louis Agassiz Fuertes Council, fills an important place in the boy life of this community. Under the volunteer leadership of Albert Frost, the troop meets weekly in their rooms in the municipal building to learn the love of scouting, which includes signaling, first aid, cooking. safety, judging and kindred subjects. The greater part of all the work is practiced out of doors. The troop is sponsored by the Parent-Teachers' association and membership is open to any Newark Valley boy 12 years of age or older. The Troop Committee which supervises the activities of the scouts consists of Wm. Stimming, chairman, J. C. Purple, W. L. Strait, Dr. Ardell, R. C. Tappan.

Scouts have fun and enjoy their games and advancement work, but they are also keen to show the home folks their ability to render community service. The present troop was first organized in April, 1933, and has become a permanent institution for the wholesome training of boys. The program has been kept attractive and stimulating and the local leaders have profited from assistance given by Kenneth B. Spear. Scout Executive for this region. A training course in Scout Leadership was conducted by the Council at Owego and eight Newark Valley members attended nearly all of the meetings. Last June the troop took part in the over night encampment at Enfield Glen and on Feb. 23, accompanied by parents and others interested, they attended, 100 per cent, the demonstration given at the drill hall at Cornell University. An Indian tepee demonstration was given by the local troop.

"Our Boy Scout troop is proud of its affiliation with the Louis Agassiz Fuertes Council," says chairman Wm. Stimming, “and contributions to the Scout Finance campaign will encourage tbe Scoutmaster and the Troop Committee to carry on with the good work.”

The drive to raise funds to carry on the Scout work opens Mar. 19. The budget calls for a quota of $6,500 of which $4,100 has been guaranteed by the city of Ithaca, leaving $2,100 to be raised in the 18 other communities included in the Council. The raising of these funds will finance another year's activities and expansion, with an enrollment of 1,012 boys in 1933. This is approximately 40 per cent of all the boys of the territory falling within the eligible age limit. These boys are under direct supervision of over 300 leaders, who are citizens giving their time free of charge.

The campaign committee in Newark Valley are the members of the Committee named above, assisted by Russell Rawley, Richard Bickford, E. D. Bushnell and Clifford Lawrence. In Berkshire the chairman is Dwight Lynch and assistants are Morris Best, John Best, Fred Royce, D. Aman, H. H. Prentice, Henry Patch, Charles Sears, Dr. Hortnagel, Hubert Cleveland, Clifford Wilkinson, Edw. Marsh, Donald Martin, Geo. Barden, Howard Jewett, Richard Jewett.

From The Tioga County Herald, May 18, 1934:

Next Tuesday evening, at 7:30, at the Central School Gym, Troop 30 of the local Boy Scouts, under direction of Scout Master Albert Frost, will give a series of five demonstrations of Scout work and training.

At this meeting also, Kenneth Spear of Ithaca, District Scout Executive will present the charter to Troop 30 and membership cards to the local Council.

All parents and others interested in the Scout work are cordially invited to attend.



From The Tioga County Herald, June 15, 1934:

The Newark Valley troop of Boy Scouts with Scout Master Albert Frost will participate tonight and tomorrow in the annual over-night Encampment of the Ithaca Council at Enfield Glen. More than 500 boys from 37 troops in the Council will participate. They will make camp Friday afternoon in the lower glen and will stay 24 hours, preparing their own meals and sleeping in their tents. Tonight there will be a big general camp fire with stunts and story telling. Saturday forenoon there will be swimming and games and at 1:30 a great field meet when there will be contests in nature identification, obstacle races, compass and pace, flag raising and string burning.

All persons interested are invited to come and witness the camp and program activities.



From The Tioga County Herald, July 27, 1934:

An overnight encampment of the Tioga District of the Ithaca Council, B. S. A., was held on the state trout ponds grounds in Newark Valley this week, starting Tuesday afternoon and continuing until Thursday noon.

The district includes Berkshire, Newark Valley, Owego, Nichols, Spencer. However, only Troops 37 and 38 from Owego and Troop 30, Newark Valley, participated. Something over 40 boys from those troops, with their Scoutmasters made camp under direction of Scout Executive Spear of Ithaca and after the Tuesday supper a camp fire was held under direction of Mr. Spear and Mr. Geller of Owego. There were stunts, games, songs and stories and a considerable number of local residents attended. After reveille at 5:30 Wednesday and breakfast, the camp was cleaned for formal inspection and after a treasure hunt the boys enjoyed a swim. At 11:30 they broke camp and returned home.



From The Tioga County Herald, August 1934:

Ten Boy Scouts of Newark Valley Troop 30, together with about 22 Owego Scouts went to Camp Barton, the big summer camp of tbe Ithaca Council, near Trumansburg on Cayuga lake on Sunday last, to spend two weeks. Those from Newark Valley going are Richard Chauncey, Harold Lacey, Gurdon Gould, Bernard Bishop, Seth Tarbox and five RobertsRobert Bushnell, Robt. Lawrence, Robt. Gabelman, Robt. Stimming and Robt. Turk.

About 100 scouts are at Camp Barton continuously for two week periods during July and August. Sundays are visiting days and it is probable quite a company of friends of the boys from this section will visit the camp next Sunday.

Thursday, Aug. 9 some 400 men of Tompkins and Tioga counties who are volunteer scout leaders or associated with the operations of the local troops will be camp guests at supper and given a full inspection of the camp in operation. The company is expected to reach camp at 4:00 and they will be shown all branches of scout training. Following supper there will be demonstrations and a camp fire.



From The Tioga County Herald, August 17, 1934:

On Thursday afternoon, Aug. 9, about 250 men, comprising officials and committee members of the Ithaca Council, Boy Scouts, gathered at Camp Barton, on Cayuga Lake, near Trumansburg, to witness a demonstration of what is being done by the Scouts. A delegation from Newark Valley was present, including Scoutmaster Albert Frost, who remained at camp until its close on Sunday, Wm. Stimming, Rev. I. J. Klejna, Mr. Gableman, C. D. Turk, J. C. Purple, E. D. Bushnell and Frank G. Cargill.

There have been three sessions of camp held, each division remaining for two weeks; the Scouts from Newark Valley attending the third session. At each session tents were provided for 96 boys, these being divided into four “villages,” with three patrols in each village and four scouts in each tent.

Thursday the visitors were given opportunity not only to see the plan and equipment of the camp but also to see the routine of work, study and play through which the boys are encouraged to advancement in all lines. After the evening meal, at which the men ate with the Scouts, they were entertained with a camp fire program put on by the Scouts of one village.

On Saturday many Scout officials, parents and friends were present again to witness the closing exercises of the last session. Late in the afternoon the Court of Honor, composed of officers of the Tioga district, with W. L. Strait as chairman, and Wm. Stimming, R. G. Geller, Albert Frost and J. C. Purple other members, conducted the final examinations and announced the awards.

The final ceremony of the camp was the Council Fire, which was impressive. After dark, with a large crowd in front of headquarters, and with no lights of any sort, at a signal, with no word spoken and only with a sound of footsteps, with the camp officials leading, a column was formed, two by two, and the double row of blanketed figures made its way in silence thru the woods to the council ring. This was about 60 feet across, formed of stones placed as a low wall convenient for seats. As this was filled the remaining Scouts formed another row just inside sitting on their blankets. Outside the circle was another circle of stones on which many of the visitors found seats. In the center of the circle was a stone table or platform on which fire material was piled, this in log house shape, with small logs at the bottom and forming a hollow pyramid, with lighter material inside. Carrying out the tradition of the Indians that the Great Spirit sends a messenger with light and fire, when all was ready a ball of fire slid down a wire fastened in the trees and in an instant the Council Fire was ablaze.

Then followed the distribution of awards by the officers of the Council, the Scouts being called not only as groups, but as individuals to receive them. The awards to Newark Valley Scouts were as follows:

Robert Gableman, Senior Life Saving. (The only one to gain this award in the last camp period.) Hall of Fame, Camp Secret Society, 4th year B.

Gurdon Gould, Richard Chauncey, Junior Life Saving, patrol inspectiion award, 1st year B.

Robert Lawrence, Robert Turk, Robert Bushnell, Bernard Bishop, Seth Tarbox, Robert Stimming, Dana Post, A. R. C. swimming pin, 1 year B.

Harold Lacey, patrol inspection award, 1st year B.



From The Tioga County Herald, February 14, 1936:

In honor of Boy Scout week, which is Feb. 17 to 24, the local scouts have an interesting exhibit with a neat evergreen background in the display window of the Mix store.

Boy Scout week will be marked by the annual campaign to raise funds in all localities to promote the Scout work. The community chairmen for the campaign in the northern Tioga communities of the Tioga District of the Ithaca Council are as follows: for Berkshire, John Best; for Newark Valley, W. L. Strait.

The observance of Scout Week is national in its scope and will be marked by special Scout activities from coast to coast in various public meetings, exhibitions and rallies, in which the general public is urged to take a renewed interest in the tremendously important work the Scout movement is doing among boys, and to enlist active assistance in carrying on that work. Increase of revenue will make it possible to make further extension of the scouting program, so much desired in all communities having scout troops. The records of Scout Executive Harrison of the Ithaca Council show a decided increase in membership the past year, the increase fromo Dec. 31 for a year being from 747 enrollment to 815. The additions of Candor, VanEtten and Richford as community members of the Council largely account for the increase. Fifty-two Scouts were advanced to higher rank in the year. 20 advanced to the First Class and 128 advanced to Second Class. Five attained the rank of Eagle Scout, the highest in the service, and these were Bill Ackerman of Dryden, Tony Marsella, Sam Deeb, Jack Tallman and Pete Stutz of Ithaca.

This year marks a concert effort of the Council to promote a Cubbing program for boys from 9 to 11. Cub Packs are now organized at Ithaca, Groton and Berkshire and several other communities are preparing to organize these younger boys in the program which leading educators declare in its method of instruction and direct value far in advance of present education standards in the schools.



From The Tioga County Herald, September 1936:

Dr. James E. West, Chief Scout Executive, will present Billy Tucker, seventeen-year-old Scout of St. Simon’s Island, Ga., on the “We The People” program to be heard Sunday November 15, at 5:00 P.M., EST. Scout Tucker will tell how he has won eighteen merit badges in spite of the fact that he must spend all of his time in a wheel chair.

The program will be heard over the following stations affiliated with the NBC-Blue Network: WJZ, New York; WHAM, Rochester; WEBR, Buffalo; WLW, Cincinnati; WSYR, Syracuse.



Also, from The Tioga County Herald, September 1936:

A group of local Boy Scouts, accompanied by Scout Master Albert Frost and Assistant Scout Master Raymond Handville, went by school bus last Friday night to Camp Barton near Trumansburg on Lake Cayuga for the week end. The group was composed of the following boys: Robert Lawrence, James Chauncey, Richard Chauncey, Harold Keith, Nick Sandwick, Maurice Ardell, Kenneth Saddlemire, Dana Post, Seth Tarbox, Duance Tarbox, Clifford Ulrick, Clyde Armstrong, Duane Ballard, Harold Hollenbeck, Earl Hollenbeck, Bernard Bartlett, Douglas Swaney, Harold Lacey, Marshall Woodward, Melvin Woodward, Theodore, Woodward, William Hubbs, Walter Myott and Donald Barber.

The boys spent the evening in getting organized and telling stories around the fireplace.

After breakfast on Saturday morning, Mr. Handville conducted some of the boys on a nature study hike. Mr. Frost was in charge of an instruction group composed of the older boys. After dinner everyone enjoyed a treasure hunt. This was followed by a football game.

Church service were observed on Sunday morning. After this, the boys were given a free period in which each boy might amuse himself as he liked.

Every Scout came away feeling that he could not wait until “next time.”



From The Tioga County Herald, December 4, 1936:

Sixteen applications for Boy Scout Honor awards were approved by the Newark Valley Scout Council, sitting as a Court of Review, in a special meeting held in the Municipal building Monday evening. Nine scouts, who previously had passed the required examination for the several awards, were questioned by the Court and all were recommended for the honors. The awards will be made at the Court of Awards of the Tioga Council to be held at the Court House in Owego on Tuesday, Dec. 29.

Principal E. A. Frier, Jr., presided at the meeting and those comprising the Court were W. H. Stimming, Dr. C.L. Milks, Jay Purple and Fred Frost. Scoutmaster Albert Frost assisted Mr. Frier.

Richard Chauncey qualified for the highest Scout award, that of Eagle Scout. Robert Lawrence appeared as candidate for Life Scout and James Chauncey qualified as Star Scout. They were all approved and will receive their badges at the Court of Awards.

The following qualified for merit badges: Richard Chauncey, pathfinding; Maurice Ardell, 1st Class and swimming; Harold Lacey, 1st Class; Dana Post, Animal industry and pathfinding; Raymond Rinker, firemanship; James Chauncey, music and personal health; Robert Lawrence, public health; Clifford Ulrich, public health; Duane Ballard, reading.

The troop was sponsored by the Newark Valley PTA and started meeting in the Municipal Building before February 1934, soon after school activities were transferred to the new school on Whig Street.

The availability of a permanent and dedicated meeting place for the troop has been a significant factor in the troop's eighty-five year continuity. Over the years, the Village of Newark Valley has been a major supporter of Troop 30, providing very tangible and continuing assistance in providing the meeting space, providing heat and electricity to the Scout room, and by allocating money for construction materials and paint for periodic repairs and improvements. A major improvement was completed in 1976 by Troop Committee members when the drop ceiling, new wiring, and light fixtures were installed. Certainly, Troop 30 has been provided one of the best facilities in the district by a long succession of village officers.

In 1952, the RoKi Club of Northern Tioga County assumed sponsorship of the troop as the Chartered Institution; that relationship continued until 2004. The RoKi Club was a fine sponsor for the troop fifty-two years, standing ready to assist in any way possible with troop needs and problems. Among the more recent direct contributions were purchasing a troop bugle and establishing in 1979 the RoKi Club Silver Palm Achievement Award for those Eagle Scouts reaching the Silver Palm level. RoKi Club members have been frequent attendees at troop courts of honor and the troop has made periodic presentations to the club membership on the operations and progress of the troop.

In May, 2004, the sponsorship of the troop moved to the Newark Valley United Methodist Church. The troop had worked with members of the church for several years in supporting the Project Neighbor food pantry, which serves the entire community, and on various other projects.

Troop 30 has been the recipient of noteworthy assistance and support by the Owego Elks in Owego, New York. They have provided money for tents, camping equipment, and a new troop flag and American flag.

In addition to providing scouting experience and training to the youth of the community, Troop 30 has always strived to have community service projects as part of its program. The scouts and scouters of Troop 30 have

  • Completed numerous projects at the Trout Ponds.
  • Cut brush and cleaned up area cemeteries.
  • Set up (and removed) the nativity scene on the Village Green each Christmas season.
  • Removed snow from fire hydrants.
  • Picked up trash from area highways.
  • Participated in local parades.
  • Assisted with work at the Bement-Billings house and the railroad station.
  • Planted trees along area streams for erosion control.
  • Planted trees as part of reforestry programs.

Troop 30 has a reputation for being an energetic and active troop in the scouting program. The countless ribbons and awards flying from the troop flag pole and patrol standards bear testimony to the troop's very successful participation in district and council events. The troop has been a regular recipient of the National Camping Award and the Quality Unit Award (formerly the Honor Troop Award).

Many other activities have been part of the Troop 30 program over the years. Some of these have been

  • Camping on the Village Green during Scout Week.
  • Christmas carols in the village.
  • Halloween party.
  • Church attendance in uniform during Scout Week.
  • Support of scout recruiting program at school.
  • Collection of aluminum foil, tin cans, and other materials in support of World War II conservation programs.
  • Fund-raising projects:
    • Car washes
    • Tom Watt sales
    • Candy sales
    • Flare sales
    • Newspaper collections
    • "Pagoda" sales in village "Band Pagoda"
    • Hot dog sales at various events
    • Spaghetti suppers
    • Auction
    • Yard sales

In the late 1960s, Troop 30 assisted with the construction of the Snowshoe Lodge in Caroline, NY. After the lodge was assembled, Troop 30 scouts and scouters "chinked" the log cabin with triangular wood strips and oakum.

Skiing at Shavers was an eagerly awaited event for a number of years in the mid-1970s.

In 1976, Senior Patrol Leader Tony D'Angelo was one of two Newark Valley representatives at the Bicentennial Tree Planting Ceremony on the Tioga County Courthouse Square in Owego.

Troop 30 has also been active in its support of the local Cub Scouts, by assisting with pack meetings, the Pinewood Derby, and the Blue and Gold Dinner. Scouts from Troop 30 have served as den chiefs for Pack 30.

Troop 30 has been a camping troop, scheduling campouts in every month of the year. A special "Year-Round Camper" award is given to any scout who camps out with the troop in any twelve consecutive months. The troop has been the host for a number of camporees at Alexander Park and at the Girl Scout camp off Davis Hollow Road. In addition to making use of a large number of camping places in the area, the troop has had longer trips to other areas. Some of these have been

  • Old Forge
  • Raquette Lake
  • Oswegatchie River at Cranberry Lake
  • Gettysburg National Park
  • Herkimer Diamond Mine
  • Kopernik Observatory
  • Mt. Mohonk
  • Lake Minnewaska
  • Glenn H. Curtiss Museum at Hammondsport
  • Tioga County Museum
  • Beaverkill River at Roscoe
  • Robert H. Treman State Park

Troop 30 scouts have participated in High Adventure treks to the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico and have attended National Scout Jamborees. At the 1993 National Jamboree, Paul Rogers of Troop 30 served as Senior Patrol Leader of the Baden-Powell Council Troop. Scouts from Troop 30 have participated in World Jamborees, the Scottish Jamborette, and the Danish National Jamboree. In addition to participation in jamborees by Scouts from Troop 30, there have been leaders from Troop 30 who have led jamboree contingents:

  • Lou Doty was Scoutmaster of the Baden-Powell Council troop at the 1985 National Jamboree, a leader of the contingent to the 1988 Scottish Jamborette, and Scoutmaster of the Troop 30 contingent to the 1990 Danish National Jamboree.
  • Bob Gwinn was Scoutmaster of the Baden-Powell Council troop at the 1989 National Jamboree and an Assistant Scoutmaster of the Troop 30 contingent to the 1990 Danish National Jamboree.
  • Fred Rogers was Scoutmaster of the Baden-Powell Council troop at the 1993 National Jamboree.
  • Jon Maule was Assistant Scoutmaster of the Baden-Powell Council troop at the 2014 National Jamboree.

Eagle service projects completed by Troop 30 Eagle Scout candidates have provided significant and lasting benefits to the village and community. Some of those completed in recent years are

  • Saving a tree at the Trout Ponds.
  • Construction of a pavilion at Alexander Park.
  • Renovation of the upper and lower hallways of the Municipal Building.
  • Cleaning and organizing the basement of the Municipal Building.
  • Renovation of the picnic tables at the Trout Ponds.
  • Re-furbishing of the band stand on the Village Green.
  • Construction of handicapped access for St. John's Church.
  • Restoration of gravestones at St. Patrick's Cemetery in Owego.
  • Creation of a computer index for papers given to the Town of Newark Valley by Lena Bushnell.
  • Construction of storage shelves at the United Methodist Church for use by the School Aged Child Care program.
  • Construction of a memorial pond at Waterman Conservation Center.
  • Construction of a playground behind the United Methodist Church for use by the School Aged Child Care program.
  • The building of a bench and picnic table as well as the planting of two red maple trees at the Headstart Building.
  • Clean-up around and the planting of shrubs around the Maine Federated Church.
  • Construction of four picnic tables and sixteen bluebird houses for use in Alexander Park.
  • Construction of a handicapped access for the Berkshire Free Library.
  • Construction of a new baseball diamond at the Trout Ponds.
  • Refurbishing part of the front sidewalk for the Berkshire Free Library.
  • Construction of horseshoe pits and benches at the Trout Ponds
  • Renovation of St. John's Cemetery in Newark Valley
  • Renovation of Berkshire Fire Company pavilion
  • Refurbishing of high school dugouts
  • Building a concession stand for baseball field at the Trout Ponds
  • Rebuilding the bleachers at the high school
  • Construction of a barbecue pit at the Newark Valley United Methodist Church
  • Construction of a pavilion over the barbecue pit at the Newark Valley United Methodist Church

In 1996 Eagle Scout Paul Rogers became the first scout in the Baden-Powell Council to receive the Hornaday Silver Medal for "distinguished service to conservation." This award was presented to Paul on July 27, 1996, in a ceremony at the Trout Ponds in Newark Valley. Paul earned the Eagle Award in 1992. During the course of his tenure as a youth in Troop 30, he earned 100 merit badges and 15 Eagle Palms. In 1994 he was named Troop 30 Scout of the Year.
Click here for more information on Paul Rogers's Hornaday Award.

On November 9, 1996, Fred and Lee Rogers became the first married couple in Baden-Powell Council to receive the Silver Beaver Award simultaneously.
Click here for more information on the Silver Beaver Award.

In 2004 First United Methodist Church of Newark Valley became the charter organization for Troop 30. 

On December 16, 2017 eight scouts, accompanied by Scoutmaster Bill Knight and Assistant Scoutmasters Chris Hammond and Curt Northrop, participated in Wreaths Across America at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, DC. Click here for pictures from that experience.

Compiling this short history of Troop 30 has again reminded us of how easily history is lost. If anyone has clippings or recollections which will recover some of the vast expanse of missing history, please provide the information to the Committee Chairman or Scoutmaster so that a more thorough troop history may be documented.

As a result of the dedication and hard work of countless scouters and interested parents, Troop 30 has provided a valuable and meaningful scouting program to boys for more than eighty-five years.