Cuong V. Nguyen
Applied Scientist @ Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Contact: Please send me a LinkedIn message.
I am an Applied Scientist at Amazon Web Services (AWS). Before joining AWS, I was a postdoc at Cambridge University (working with Richard Turner) and at the National University of Singapore (working with Huan Xu). I received B.Comp. and PhD degrees in Computer Science both from the National University of Singapore. My PhD thesis advisor was Lee Wee Sun.
Machine learning, Bayesian inference
- Le Thi Khanh Hien, Cuong V. Nguyen, Huan Xu, Canyi Lu, Jiashi Feng. Accelerated Stochastic Mirror Descent Algorithms For Composite Non-strongly Convex Optimization. arXiv:1605.06892.
- Cuong V. Nguyen, Lam Si Tung Ho, Huan Xu, Vu Dinh, Binh Nguyen. Bayesian Pool-based Active Learning with Abstention Feedbacks. arXiv:1705.08481.
- Cuong V. Nguyen, Yingzhen Li, Thang D. Bui, Richard E. Turner. Variational Continual Learning. International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR 2018). [short version presented at NIPS 2017 Bayesian Deep Learning Workshop] [code]
- Thang D. Bui*, Cuong V. Nguyen*, Richard E. Turner. Streaming Sparse Gaussian Process Approximations. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS 2017). [* equal contribution, short version with some theoretical bounds presented at ICML 2017 Time Series Workshop] [code]
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, Huan Xu. Adaptive Maximization of Pointwise Submodular Functions With Budget Constraint. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS 2016).
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, Nan Ye, Wee Sun Lee. Robustness of Bayesian Pool-based Active Learning Against Prior Misspecification. AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2016). [supplementary] [full version]
- Nguyen Viet Cuong. Near-optimality and Robustness of Greedy Algorithms for Bayesian Pool-based Active Learning. PhD Thesis. Department of Computer Science, National University of Singapore, 2015.
- Quang H. Pham, Minh-Le Nguyen, Binh T. Nguyen, Nguyen Viet Cuong. Semi-supervised Learning for Vietnamese Named Entity Recognition using Online Conditional Random Fields. ACL-IJCNLP 2015 Named Entities Workshop (NEWS@ACL 2015).
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Min-Yen Kan, Wee Sun Lee. Scholarly Document Information Extraction using Extensible Features for Efficient Higher Order Semi-CRFs. Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2015). [slides]
- Vu Dinh, Lam Si Tung Ho, Nguyen Viet Cuong, Duy Nguyen, Binh T. Nguyen. Learning From Non-iid Data: Fast Rates for the One-vs-All Multiclass Plug-in Classifiers. Annual Conference on Theory and Applications of Models of Computation (TAMC 2015). [short version presented at NIPS 2015 Learning Faster from Easy Data Workshop]
- Quang H. Pham, Binh T. Nguyen, Nguyen Viet Cuong. Punctuation Prediction for Vietnamese Texts Using Conditional Random Fields. ACML 2014 Workshop on Machine Learning and Its Applications in Vietnam.
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, Wee Sun Lee, Nan Ye. Near-optimal Adaptive Pool-based Active Learning with General Loss. Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI 2014). Google Best Student Paper Award. [supplementary] [slides]
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, Nan Ye, Wee Sun Lee, Hai Leong Chieu. Conditional Random Field with High-order Dependencies for Sequence Labeling and Segmentation. Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR 2014). [code] [data] [short version presented at ICML 2011 Structured Sparsity: Learning and Inference Workshop]
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, Wee Sun Lee, Nan Ye, Kian Ming A. Chai, Hai Leong Chieu. Active Learning for Probabilistic Hypotheses Using the Maximum Gibbs Error Criterion. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS 2013).
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, Lam Si Tung Ho, Vu Dinh. Generalization and Robustness of Batched Weighted Average Algorithm with V-geometrically Ergodic Markov Data. International Conference on Algorithmic Learning Theory (ALT 2013).
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, Vu Dinh, Lam Si Tung Ho. Mel-frequency Cepstral Coefficients for Eye Movement Identification. IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI 2012). [code]