nfrastructure for N
omputing is a great multiplatform program that allows you to use your computer's idle time to participate in numerous scientific research projects. Quite literally all you do is download and run it, attaching to the projects you want, and watching the tasks complete...
I actually have my own grid set up at home/college. I participate in lots of different projects - list below (click link for my user page)
- MilkyWay@Home - Mapping the Milky Way Galaxy!
- PrimeGrid - Finding really really big prime numbers (was user of the day)
- eOn - Long timescale dynamics of subatomic systems (ranked in top 100 overall)
- AQUA - Quantum Iteration Algorithms
- Collatz Conjecture - How big of a number works? If even, divide by 2; if odd, multiply by 3 and add 1. Get back to 1...somehow.
- Einstein@Home - Mapping gravitational waves in outer space. (currently not participating)
- Pirates@Home - Whatever (I've done a lot of captchas...?)
- DNETC@Home - Wrapper between BOINC and Distributed.net, lots of GPU stuff.
- Sudoku@vTaiwan - Finding solutions to a conjectured maximum of possible Sudoku puzzles. (currently inactive)
- Distributed Rainbow Table Generator - Good for math and computer science nuts! Make your hashes secure!
And now for a list of my computers.
I enjoy computers immensely. I might even have pages here devoted to each of them, who knows...I do have free time and not much to do with it.
|Computer|| CPU|| GPU|| Uptime|| other|
|Apple MacBook Pro 6,2||Intel Core i5 2.53GHz ||NViDIA GeForce GT 330M 256MB|| 99%|| laptop I use for everything|
|NCS Dell Dimension 8400 ||Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz ||NViDIA GeForce GTX 460 OC 1024MB ||80% ||this machine is modded to the p.o.n.r |
| Dell Optiplex GX280||Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz ||ATi Radeon X800GT/SE 128MB||98% ||Frankenplex. Mainly for my siblings.|
| Apple MacBook 1,2 (black)||Intel Core 2 Duo 2.GHz ||(integrated graphics) 64MB||75% ||my old laptop, now shared with my brother|