Horsley Holy Trinity

 

Welcome to the webpage of  

Holy Trinity, Horsley.

Linked with St Francis Byrness and part of the Church of England North Tyne and Redesdale Team in The Diocese of Newcastle

 

Team Vicar

Revd Canon Peter Mander

01830 520212

redesdale.vicar@gmail.com

 

Team Rector

Revd Dr. Susan Ramsaran

01434 220019

SMRamsaran@aol.com

 

Churchwarden

Dr. Ian Roberts

01830 520342

redewater.view@googlemail.com

 

“Built in the Neo-Norman style by John & Benjamin Green in 1844. The original pine furniture was replaced in 1895 with oak fittings in memory of the original patron, the 2nd Lord Redesdale. The organ gallery was added in 2000 and a fine organ was imported from the redundant Methodist Chapel in Tow Law, Co.Durham, and is being lovingly restored. There is a Roman altar in the porch.”

Church Services

9.00 am: Holy Communion

on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month.

Click here for other local church services.

 

The church building is open during daylight hours and we welcome visitors and pilgrims of all faiths or none.

 

 

 

The church is situated on the A68  to the south of Rochester, just north of the Redesdale Arms.

Click map for details.

(press return button on your browser to get back to this page)

 

 

History

Holy Trinity Church, Horsley is situated just outside the village of Rochester in the beautiful valley of Redesdale. John Thomas Freeman-Mitford, Earl of Redesdale, had the church built in 1844, to give the people of this area a place of worship closer than the church at Elsdon, some ten miles away. Some forty years later he also commissioned the vicarage behind the church.

Designed by the well-known Newcastle firm of architects, John and Benjamin Green, the church is built in a neo-Norman style with a low apse and a west tower with a pyramidal roof. Its porch houses several items of interest: a war memorial to the local men who fought in the two world wars; some Roman quern-stones and a Roman altar  found near Featherwood, about three miles north of the Roman fort of Bremenium at High Rochester.  Its inscription reads: VICTORIAE / ET PACI IVL[IVS]/ ME[L]ICAN[VS]/ PRO B[ONO] / PVBLICO/ V[OTVM] S[OLVIT] L[IBENS] M[ERITO] (“To Victory and Peace Julius Melicanus for the public good willingly and deservedly fulfilled his vow”).

On the back wall of the church …….

 

Read More

 

Horsley Organ Project

HTH Organ.jpg

In the autumn of 2015, Holy Trinity’s Parochial Church Council (PCC) secured a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund to restore this historic Nelson pipe organ.

The organ has an interesting history.

It was built by H.J. Nelson & Company of Durham for Hill Crest Primitive Methodist Chapel in Tow Law, a coal-mining village in County Durham.…

read more

 

The Holy Trinity

 

The Church in Horsley is dedicated to ‘The Holy Trinity’ which is the foundational Christian idea that God is Three in One and One in Three.

 

But Christians worship one God so why do  we call the subject of our worship 'The Holy Trinity' which seems to suggest that there are three Gods. The idea actually evolved over many centuries as Christians reflected upon what had happened in the life and death and resurrection of Jesus; and how they had continued to experience his spiritual presence long after he 'ascended' to heaven and left them to continue his work on earth.

Read more

 

 

Comments