Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1525
BIOS version A17
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz
Memory: 3GB (2GB + 1GB)
Toshiba 250 GB SATA MK2546GSX
CD/DVD drive: Hitachi 8x DVD +/-RW GSA-T21N
Graphics: Intel Mobile X3100 GM965/GL960 Integrated 1280x800 resolution
Audio: Sigmatel STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio
Modem: HDA CX11270 Soft Modem
FireWire: Ricoh 1394a OHCI
Webcam: Creative Labs 2.0M Pixels
LAN: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 10/100 Ethernet Controller
WiFi: Dell 1390 WLAN MiniCard
Bluetooth: Dell 355 Bluetooth Module
Maintenance > Load Defaults > Continue
Verify SATA is configured for AHCI:
Onboard Devices > SATA Operation
Verify SpeedStep is Enabled
Performance > SpeedStep Enable
- Download BootDell1525_v1.iso.zip (or 1440x900 version BootDell1525_v1_1440.iso) then extract ISO and burn it to a CD. Start your computer using BootDell1525 CD. Wait for the menu screen to come up. Replace BootDell1525 CD with Snow Leopard 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 retail DVD. Wait for the DVD to spin up (20-30 seconds). Press F5 to refresh BootDell1525 menu. You should see Mac OS X Install DVD. Select it and press Enter. Continue with the Snow Leopard installation.
- Use Disk Utility to change your hard drive partition. Create 1 GUID partition for your OSX. Installation may take between 35 to 50 minutes.
- Reboot using BootDell1525 CD. At the menu select your installation hard drive. OSX will boot up and you will be presented with the Welcome Screen. Continue basic setup until you reach Desktop.
- Download and install 10.6.8 Combo Update. Wait for the "The Installation was successful" message. DO NOT REBOOT !!! Leave this window open and continue to the next step.
- Deselect "Use secure virtual memory" option (Applications > System Preferences > Security > General)
- Start Terminal (Application > Utilities > Terminal)
Run installation script
After selecting your installation disk you will select option "i" to start auto installer
Wait for the installer to finish
- Use Disk Utility to repair disk permissions (Application > Utilities > Disk Utility)
- Go back to 10.6.8 Combo Update window with "The Installation was successful" message and hit "Restart"
- Remove BootDell1525 CD during the reboot. OSX should boot directly from the hard drive.
You should now have fully working Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on Dell Inspiron 1525.
As of 06/26/2011 all of the required Apple updates were installed with no negative impact.
Kexts installed in /Extra/Extensions:
org.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.1.0) includes the following plugins:
Kexts installed in /System/Library/Extensions:
org.netkas.FakeSMC (3.1.0) includes the following plugin:
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.3.5) - untouched from 10.6.7
com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.6) - untouched from 10.6.7